Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2009, 12:07 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Will pentax compete w/ this freshly leaked: Articulated viewscreen DSLR

MAN, This is one feature on a camera I want. I've never had an articulated viewscreen camera and I'd enjoy having this feature. Nikon likely officially leaked these considering the numerous view angles I've seen this morning.

I hope Pentax adds an articulated viewscreen to their K20D replacement. It would give me a BIG reason to consider it. Go ahead Pentax add an Articulated viewscreen & put two card slots in K30D and call it PRO-BODY. Seems easier to do than dusting off the 645D to target a few hundred pros, No?

http://nikonrumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/dbk_0661.jpg

Taken from:

More spy shots | Nikon Rumors

Taken from this site:

http://nikonrumors.com/

Last edited by Samsungian; 04-06-2009 at 12:13 PM. Reason: added 2nd link, & 3rd link
04-06-2009, 12:35 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not something I personally care about, ....just adds bulk and is a vulnerable part. Maybe if they came up with a really great live view that didn't compromise elsewhere, it'd be more worth it.
04-06-2009, 02:16 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I would like to see this feature added to a Pentax DSLR. A few years back I had a Panasonic FZ-30 which had an articulating LCD and I thought it was useful. It is nice for taking candid shots. You can hold the camera at waist level and flip the LCD for framing and people don't feel the need to pose. Thus, it's similar to shooting a TLR.
04-06-2009, 02:29 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What I'm waiting for......

Wireless transmission to a small monitor attached to my glasses...
Articulated viewfinder is so passe.....
Of course tethered liveview is still too slow for most things but for ground macros, speed is not necessary...
Actually this is something (wireless) Samsung could help with....

04-06-2009, 02:32 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My Oly E20N had this feature and, frankly, it was only useful on a tripod.

But on a tripod it was very useful.
04-06-2009, 02:39 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Nikon definitely needs to improve their live view experience if they want an articulating LCD to be useful. I assume they added it it make video recording easier. I've said it before, but I couldn't imagine trying to record video with an SLR without a rotating LCD. It would be a miserable experience.

That said, as a former Canon G2 owner, bring on the articulating LCD's! I still suffer from withdrawals and I haven't used that Canon in 2 years.
04-06-2009, 03:02 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
Wireless transmission to a small monitor attached to my glasses...
Funny thing is Nikon demo'd this recently. Guess it's not ready for prime time or they wouldn't have released this articulated LCD

For Pentax, the issue will be weatherproofing. Moving parts like this are hard to weatherproof...

04-06-2009, 03:11 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Last year's Olympus E3 has weathersealed articulating viewscreen...

Hey Ken, check this out:

"• 2.5-inch Dual-axis, Free-angle LCD Display
The 2.5" Live View HyperCrystal LCD provides many times the contrast of conventional LCD monitors and a resolution of approximately 230,000 pixels for easier viewing in both preview and playback. It also provides a wide viewing angle of 170 degrees, which ensures images can be composed from even the most obscure angles, and its 360-degree articulation, makes composition and image viewing possible at any angle. Furthermore, the LCD provides magnification of the subject by a factor of up to 10 times, enabling users to confirm sharp, pinpoint focus. "

Olympus | E-3 SLR Digital Camera (Camera Body) | 262010 | B&H

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
Funny thing is Nikon demo'd this recently. Guess it's not ready for prime time or they wouldn't have released this articulated LCD

For Pentax, the issue will be weatherproofing. Moving parts like this are hard to weatherproof...
04-06-2009, 03:59 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote

The lcd reticule attached to the glasses seems to be easily sealed, and a sealed camera completes the picture...
Yes an articulated screen is a tad tougher... I'll have to find the Nikon demo... They do have some things Pentax REALLY should emulate... much more than Canon.

1999 for gosh sakes... and where is it besides in the military?
BBC News | SCI/TECH | Japan eyes wearable PC

Last edited by jeffkrol; 04-06-2009 at 04:49 PM.
04-06-2009, 04:53 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Now THERE'S some fine ergonomics...

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
The lcd reticule attached to the glasses seems to be easily sealed, and a sealed camera completes the picture...
Yes an articulated screen is a tad tougher... I'll have to find the Nikon demo... They do have some things Pentax REALLY should emulate... much more than Canon.

1999 for gosh sakes... and where is it besides in the military?
BBC News | SCI/TECH | Japan eyes wearable PC
Betcha the boys at Canon and at Microsoft have been studying that little baby for years...

Cheers,
Cameron
04-06-2009, 05:01 PM   #11
Veteran Member

He He

Almost as long as it took for the 60-250.........
Friday, 26 November, 1999, 14:18 GMT
Japan eyes wearable PC: On Friday, Japanese camera-maker Olympus and IBM Japan revealed a prototype of a wearable PC.
............Mr Murakami said the companies would decide next year when to launch the computer.
04-06-2009, 05:03 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Actually, though, for gadgetry, I always thought that when they do get turbo liveview, what would be really cool would be like a shoe-mountable, call it a 'Super-finder' which would be based on a plug-in LCD with like a TLR viewer and magnifier, sports-finder, WLF, 45 degree finder, whatever you like. Then you wouldn't have to lug it around unless you were using it. It'd also mean you wouldn't have to hold your camera out so far to use an LCD. Steadier that way.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 04-06-2009 at 05:08 PM.
04-06-2009, 06:02 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Actually, though, for gadgetry, I always thought that when they do get turbo liveview, what would be really cool would be like a shoe-mountable, call it a 'Super-finder' which would be based on a plug-in LCD with like a TLR viewer and magnifier, sports-finder, WLF, 45 degree finder, whatever you like. Then you wouldn't have to lug it around unless you were using it. It'd also mean you wouldn't have to hold your camera out so far to use an LCD. Steadier that way.
There's the Zigview, but it mounts to the viewfinder. Close enough to the hotshoe, though.

04-06-2009, 06:05 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
They make an eye piece mountable one but last I looked it was like $350US (corrected $399 BUT free shipping ).. Can't remember the name of it and I believe it was low res... and not as "super-duper" as you'd like.
Here it is....

ZigView S2 Bundles - Digital SLR Real Time Rotatable LCD Viewfinder Screen

Ohhh.. getting closer ... wireless.........but unfortunately.. NO PENTAX MODEL.. not that I'd pay that much so I wouldn't have to kneel..
http://www.proviewsite.com/index.html

Where the heck are the Chinese manuf. when you need them...........

Last edited by jeffkrol; 04-06-2009 at 07:12 PM.
04-06-2009, 07:01 PM   #15
Forum Member

After a careful study of the picture I'm still apathetic about an articulated view screen...

But now I'm considering the purchase of a sash and riding boots...