Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2009, 05:57 AM   #31
RaduA

1) Essentials for a flagship camera in 2009 and for Pentax to be taken seriously are IMO:

- a new processor for faster responsiveness of the camera on all levels plus better battery life and also a better noise control;
- a totally new AF system (not necessarily with a lot - read 51 points but more than 11 would be nice) that will be on par with the rest of the bunch on all levels - low light AF.C and so on);
- at least one stop more of DR (even more than one stop at higher ISO) and more than one stop of better noise control - which I believe is doable by a combination of improved sensor, better ADC and a new image processor;
- a new shutter and mirror box with at least 5 fps and 1/8000+1/250 flash sync;
- at least double the buffer for RAW to reach a minimum of 30;
- 14 bit RAW;
- SDXC ready;
- a larger and better LCD and the idea of a SMC coated LCD is very appealing to me;
- a new SR mechanism with panning for example;
- an improved OVF;
- a new battery with the same voltage and size as the current one but with more energy.

2) Nice to have for some and useful from a marketing pov are IMO:

- movie mode;
- 2 SDXC cards;
- usable LV;
- at least tilt able LCD, maybe articulated one;
- metal body (although I wish they keep the current one in shape, size and backwards compatibility with the grip);
- GPS;
- WiFi would be nice at least as an accessory;

3) SciFi but if I could think of them why couldn't they?

- 4-8 GB of integrated storage space and which will act like a second (third) SD card;
- eSATA connector or another form of link with external storage;
- "overdrive" for selected SDM in lenses by a slighly higher voltage delivered to them hence faster movements. Also it would be nice if the new AF system will drive SDM lenses in a new, more snappy way (my feeling is that besides mechanical limitations most SDM lenses are also hindered by the current AF system).

Radu

04-08-2009, 06:13 AM   #32
Forum Member

Why people wants smaller body? "K30D" will be higher class for serious work, if anybody need small body buy k200d or k-m then .. I'll rather see more PRO class then amateur class. Or if body size is major feature, buy olympus. Did anybody tried to catch nikon or canon (d300 or 40d and higher)? Try it .. I don't have big hands, but it's much more comfortable to operate with it. At least new model size shoud stay minimal lika k20d but deeper handgrip will be fine.

Or make 2 same models, with same size, one with classical handgrip, one with deeper. I think, it's not problem. Evereything inside could be same.
04-08-2009, 06:27 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kolouch Quote
Why people wants smaller body? "K30D" will be higher class for serious work,
I'd prefer a smaller main body. If people wants bigger, then add the grip, best of both world.
04-08-2009, 06:47 AM   #34
Forum Member

I've already use grip .. but it's not much better :-)

So smaller body why? For worse button control? Or people doesn't have space in their camera bags? :-)

04-08-2009, 07:01 AM   #35
Pentaxian

I was comfortable with the *istDS. I am comfortable with the K20D. I will adapt, if they don't compromise on ergonomics.

I don't know anything about a K30D. All I (we) know is that a new camera will be announced this summer; no idea about it's specifications, not even the format or estimated price.
But I want one. No, I need one
Thus, it's quite pointless for me to "request" certain features
04-08-2009, 07:26 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
most things have been said a lot, but i think ill be the second person saying this one...

make an additional active SD card slot. I do appreciate the storage in the grip, but if you are in the middle of shooting, to have to take both cards out and swap them is not always fun. make 2 slots active. plus, god forbid the card actually craps out while in use, im guessing the camera can be smart enough to move to the functional card.

otherwise, more iso range, low light shooting, af. the usual stuff
04-08-2009, 07:58 AM   #37
Banned

I want 5 fps, AFC that can track and faster AF, then I would be more than happy to switch back to Pentax so I can afford lenses again.

04-08-2009, 08:29 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kolouch Quote
I've already use grip .. but it's not much better :-)

So smaller body why? For worse button control? Or people doesn't have space in their camera bags? :-)

Smaller body in order not to waste space and save weight. 99% of the time I carry my equipment and extra weight is an anchor. Rather fill up the weight with additional lenses. Ther K20D with battery grip is the same size and weight as a Pentax Medium Format camera......
04-08-2009, 08:30 AM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Thumper Quote
I want 5 fps, AFC that can track and faster AF, then I would be more than happy to switch back to Pentax so I can afford lenses again.
I doubt we will see 5fps from Pentax anytime soon. Around 4fps. AF is plentry fast enough and nothing but slight improvement can be expected; mostly at lower EV levels....
04-08-2009, 08:52 AM   #40
Veteran Member

I'd like it to include an option for spot focus, so people will stop asking why it doesn't focus right on the blinking red dot
04-08-2009, 08:55 AM   #41
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Smaller body in order not to waste space and save weight. 99% of the time I carry my equipment and extra weight is an anchor. Rather fill up the weight with additional lenses. Ther K20D with battery grip is the same size and weight as a Pentax Medium Format camera......
waste space? if it's 2cm bigger? and weight? 100g difference to nikon d300 or 15g difference to canon d40? I carry my equipment too, I am shooting open air music festivals, walking mountains & I've in my bagpack all from my equipment including battery charger, etc.. And I see no problem.

I don't wanna see tiny camera with small buttons and uncomfortable control. There is no extra space for maybe bigger 3"LCD display .. Rather bigger body then buttons under the LCD
04-08-2009, 09:14 AM   #42
Veteran Member

5D with K mount would be enough for me.
04-08-2009, 09:25 AM   #43
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I want only new and good AF, at least 21 points.
04-08-2009, 10:12 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'll take a K200D size weather-sealed body with:
1. Twist and flip LCD screen with live view
2. Bigger buffer
3. ISO dial
4. K20D controls (2 wheels, etc.)
5. Fast, predictive autofocus
6. JPEG defaults set by DPReview staff to avoid whining
04-08-2009, 10:20 AM   #45
Banned

interchangeable finders. (with interchangeable screens)
less bulky body (due away with the hand grip on the right side)
older style front mounted strap lugs. (think older Pentax or current Olympus)
larger, brighter viewfinder