Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2009, 12:08 PM   #46
Veteran Member
lol101's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Garennes sur Eure France
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 900
QuoteOriginally posted by awo425 Quote
5D with K mount would be enough for me.


+1 ... but we know it's not going to happen... APS-C it is, APS-C it will stay... at least for a while!

In the meantime, I settled for a 5D + M42 adapter: those old Taks really shine on FF and the big VF is really a plus for manual focusing!!

(Only bad thing is that wide angles don't go well with the 5D mirror... 24f3.5 and 35f2's rear parts hit the mirror when focusing to infinity... )

04-08-2009, 12:10 PM   #47
Pentaxian
Pål Jensen's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Norway
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,139
QuoteOriginally posted by kolouch Quote
waste space? if it's 2cm bigger? and weight? 100g difference to nikon d300 or 15g difference to canon d40? I carry my equipment too, I am shooting open air music festivals, walking mountains & I've in my bagpack all from my equipment including battery charger, etc.. And I see no problem.

I don't wanna see tiny camera with small buttons and uncomfortable control. There is no extra space for maybe bigger 3"LCD display .. Rather bigger body then buttons under the LCD

It is no problem for you maybe but most people complain about the size and weight of medium format. I find it meaningless to have an APS camera with the same size and weight of medium format gear. Then I rather carry medium format equipment. Buttons are exactly the same size on a small as big camera and the grip can be made just as comfortable. Those who want to carry excess weight can always add the battery grip.
04-08-2009, 12:23 PM   #48
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Austria
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 260
1.) Full Frame
2.) Better ISO Performance: i'd like to have a really usable ISO3200 setting ... but details should be kept (lower noise of the sensor/electronics, and no noise-reduction by calculation)
3.) Higher Dynamic Range
4.) Faster + better (low-light!) AF
5.) 5-6 FPS
6.) Better Liveview

(Tele-Lenses along with the announcement of the K30D) ;-)

Size of the K20D is perfect for me, weather-sealing is great, menu is great.
04-08-2009, 12:54 PM   #49
Pentaxian
thibs's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,247
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
It is no problem for you maybe but most people complain about the size and weight of medium format. I find it meaningless to have an APS camera with the same size and weight of medium format gear. Then I rather carry medium format equipment. Buttons are exactly the same size on a small as big camera and the grip can be made just as comfortable. Those who want to carry excess weight can always add the battery grip.
Would be interesting to compare 645D with D3X/1Dmkiii on a weight/size PoV.

04-08-2009, 01:23 PM   #50
Pentaxian
Pål Jensen's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Norway
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,139
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Would be interesting to compare 645D with D3X/1Dmkiii on a weight/size PoV.

The 645D is more or less exactly the same size as the film 645's; built around the same chassis. I would expect it to weight somewhat less than the D3's.
If the new 645 DA lenses have reduced image cricle, then we can expect a surprise in weight/price department for the 645 lenses. I expect a typical Pentax 645D camera and lens outfit to be comparable in size and weight to a professional Nikon/Canon FF outfit.
04-08-2009, 05:45 PM   #51
Veteran Member
ManuH's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,209
QuoteOriginally posted by kolouch Quote
So smaller body why? For worse button control? Or people doesn't have space in their camera bags? :-)
Primes look a bit a weird on a bulky body. After using the K-m for one week, I come to appreciate the compactness and weight of the camera with such lenses. The K-m grip is also deeper, not enough for my big fingers, but better already than the K20D which is only comfortable for me with the additional grip.
04-08-2009, 06:05 PM   #52
Veteran Member
awo425's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NYC, USA
Posts: 481
QuoteOriginally posted by lol101 Quote


+1 ... but we know it's not going to happen... APS-C it is, APS-C it will stay... at least for a while!

In the meantime, I settled for a 5D + M42 adapter: those old Taks really shine on FF and the big VF is really a plus for manual focusing!!

(Only bad thing is that wide angles don't go well with the 5D mirror... 24f3.5 and 35f2's rear parts hit the mirror when focusing to infinity... )
Yeah, 5d2 is my next body as well, too bad I have only 2 m42 lenses, everything else is FA.
04-08-2009, 11:35 PM   #53
Senior Member
scole's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Everett, WA
Posts: 216
At this point, everyone else has pretty much hit on all the main essentials. The one thing I would add (and should be very doable) is to reinstate the ability to turn on OR OFF the in-camera noise reduction.

04-09-2009, 05:31 AM   #54
wll
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mission Hills, CA
Posts: 773
For Me ?

1. Better High ISO Performance with Improved Dynamic Range
2. An Articulating Screen and High Quality Live View
3. Good Tethering Ability
4. Wireless remote For Off Camera Flash Units (do away with Wizard and Micro units)


wll

Last edited by wll; 04-09-2009 at 05:33 AM. Reason: Added Dynamic Range
04-09-2009, 09:03 AM   #55
Veteran Member
benjikan's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Paris, France
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,312
A button that gives you a contract for 1 year with Chanel to shoot all of their campaigns at 100000.00 per day not including royalties. That should do it!
04-09-2009, 11:39 AM   #56
Veteran Member
GoldenWreckedAngle's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Abilene, TX
Posts: 341
Almost everything I can think of is already available from several other manufacturers so I'll suggest the one unique feature that has kept me with Pentax so far - Just fix the obvious speed limitations and give me more for my money than I can get anywhere else.

Oh yea, and if you can give me 1/500 flash synch at full power I might even get a little giddy.
04-09-2009, 06:49 PM   #57
Inactive Account




Join Date: May 2008
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 38
Reply

All I want from the Future Pentax DSLR is...

BETTER ISO PERFORMANCE... MAYBE 3200 OR EVEN 6400..

GO PENTAX..
04-09-2009, 07:52 PM   #58
Veteran Member
Hannican's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Irvine, CA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 480
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
A viewfinder and sensor that are parallel. I'm tired of fixing horizons.
(I tried to find the "Like This" button on that one haha!)

I want:

1. More Dynamic Range
2. FASTER AUTO FOCUS (either speed it up, or get rid of it altogether! I'm sick of being teased!)
3. Less noise at High ISO (in my opinion even ISO 400 is unusable)
04-09-2009, 10:53 PM   #59
Site Supporter
sholtzma's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Salisbury, NC
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,025
"Nice feature could be showing hyperfocal distance for current lens & aperture somewhere (lcd or viewfinder)"

Why limit it to hyperfocus? My idea on the Dear Pentax thread (slightly modified) is this: Why don't digital cameras have a fully digitalized way of determining depth of field? I'm talking about the camera both figuring out DOF for you digitally, and providing a simple but detailed readout that allows you to "see" DOF and decide how much DOF--all digitally.


Is something like the following scenario possible and feasible? Your autofocus lens sends info about aperture and distance-to-focused-subject (as well as focal length) to the camera. The camera's processor calculates a depth of field range, which shows in the viewfinder.

This effectively moves the depth-of-field scale off of the lens body into the viewfinder (and LCD) digital info. Furthermore, the DOF scale in the viewfinder would be colored, with red at either end, yellow towards the middle, and green in the "middle", corresponding to degrees of sharpness within the DOF. The numbers on the DOF scale would indicate the range in focus (one could set it for inches, mm, cm, m, or ft), and they would change as aperture changed or focused distance changed or focal length changed. So at any focus point with any AF lens at any aperture you could immediately tell DOF. A further possibility would be for the viewfinder (and LCD) to be able constantly to project onto the image a minimal scale corresponding to DOF.

No more looking at charts. No more looking at lens bodies. No more having to see and make judgments about darkened images in a viewfinder.

I'm not aware of any camera manufacturer that has done this. So, if it could be done, and done within the size and price of a typical digital camera, it would be a scoop for that manufacturer. And I submit that it would be highly prized.
04-10-2009, 12:07 AM   #60
Veteran Member
lol101's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Garennes sur Eure France
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 900
QuoteOriginally posted by sholtzma Quote
"Nice feature could be showing hyperfocal distance for current lens & aperture somewhere (lcd or viewfinder)"

Why limit it to hyperfocus? My idea on the Dear Pentax thread (slightly modified) is this: Why don't digital cameras have a fully digitalized way of determining depth of field? I'm talking about the camera both figuring out DOF for you digitally, and providing a simple but detailed readout that allows you to "see" DOF and decide how much DOF--all digitally.


Is something like the following scenario possible and feasible? Your autofocus lens sends info about aperture and distance-to-focused-subject (as well as focal length) to the camera. The camera's processor calculates a depth of field range, which shows in the viewfinder.

This effectively moves the depth-of-field scale off of the lens body into the viewfinder (and LCD) digital info. Furthermore, the DOF scale in the viewfinder would be colored, with red at either end, yellow towards the middle, and green in the "middle", corresponding to degrees of sharpness within the DOF. The numbers on the DOF scale would indicate the range in focus (one could set it for inches, mm, cm, m, or ft), and they would change as aperture changed or focused distance changed or focal length changed. So at any focus point with any AF lens at any aperture you could immediately tell DOF. A further possibility would be for the viewfinder (and LCD) to be able constantly to project onto the image a minimal scale corresponding to DOF.

No more looking at charts. No more looking at lens bodies. No more having to see and make judgments about darkened images in a viewfinder.

I'm not aware of any camera manufacturer that has done this. So, if it could be done, and done within the size and price of a typical digital camera, it would be a scoop for that manufacturer. And I submit that it would be highly prized.
It is obviously a good idea and easily doable (and cheap if the distance info is only on the LCD and/or screen, more expensive if you want display in the VF!).

The best proof is that ... it's already available on the €99 P&S Canon A590IS and others via the hacked firmware CHDK.

With the hacked firmware, you can have a numeric display on the screen for the min/max in-focus planes + hyperfocal distance.

You get something like:
dist: 2.5m (actual subject distance)
min: 1.3m (minimum in focus plane)
max:7m (maximum in focus plane)
hypF: 5m (hyperfocal distance)

Then, a simple button press sends the lens, to the hyperfocal distance for the given focal/aperture: brilliant for street shooting!!

+1 on this excellent suggestion!
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
af, aps-h, canon, k20d, k30d, lenses, light, model, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, sensor
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Who out there would prefer a K30D? Ben Hunt Pentax DSLR Discussion 45 11-05-2010 06:48 AM
is this pic of K30D? Desmond.young Pentax News and Rumors 4086 01-12-2010 09:36 AM
K30D rumor. vitalsax Pentax News and Rumors 80 02-15-2009 09:55 PM
K300D and K30D soon? flyer Pentax News and Rumors 102 02-08-2009 07:19 PM
So... is the K30D actually going to have autofocus? SupremeMoFo Pentax News and Rumors 88 01-03-2009 05:53 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:22 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top