Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2009, 11:12 PM   #76

Photos: Gallery
AF bracketing

I have been waiting for AF bracketing for quite some time. I am of course talking about moving the sensor for this, to get really good performance. I often shoot with F1.4 or F2.0, and the narrow DOF makes it hard to get it right, especially if the object (and myself) is not fully still. And since the Pentax focusing screens are impossible to use (standard focusing screens) for this, a bracketing feature would be great. If they can just figure out how to move the sensor a mm or two back and forth that would make a huge difference. It would also speed up general AF; if just a small adjustent is needed, move the sensor (fast) instead of adjusting the lens. For continous shooting, the camera would adjust the lens focus as much as it can between pictures, but final focus is adjusted with the sensor.

Please put AF button on grip.

I would still want Pentax to produce an original focusing screen old style, without the F4 effect for us using fast lenses. I know I can buy from China, but why should I have to?

Please make sure I can use catch in focus on all lenses. And WHY can't I use catch in focus when having moved the AF to the AF button??? Must have been somone missing this in the design. Having to move AF back to the shutter button to do catch in does not make sense.

Double SD cards, to be shot in series or in paralell. Possibly also in striped mode for performance. Could be a nightmare to read the cards in to the computer if striped, but camera could unstripe the cards when the camera is idle, so when you actually put card in computer, it will behave as before.

I think the viewfinder is good, but small if compared to P67 or old film cameras. I have alsways thought this was a limitation of APS-C, but after trying out an old D2x, I realised you can do a lot more. So please, also give us a viewfinder a la D2/D3.

A very old requirement: THE GREEN MODE SHOULD BE GREEN. It needs to ignore all my serttings and customer settings. The only time a K30D user would/should use green is when handing the camera over for someone else to take a picture. Then to explain that the AF is on the AF button, is not always easy, and also makes people believe Pentax is a primitive camera where you have to fokus using a separate button :-)

I would like to see two set of menues. One being the one we have now, the other one I create myself, with only the features I use. The FN menu overs most of this, but since I have to move the AF around (see catch in focus above) it would e ice to be able to put the few functions you are using regularly in a smaller menu, or even provide us with 1-2 new buttons which we can connect to ANY item in the menu. It would be great to have a computer program from where I could design this. Would be nice to able to do it directly from the camera too, but I would settle wih doing it on the coputer, then uploading it. Would be a great place to also program a couple of USER modes.

04-10-2009, 11:31 PM   #77
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Mmm sincerely why not a DOF-priority mode mode which would take Two successive focus points from user and make sure everything between those is in focus ?

Gadget but then there's a lot of less useful things in our cameras IMO (green mode someone?)
That is exactly how the Canon interface works.

To Pal;

The mode used to be found on the Canon pro bodies, but now it is just found as high as the 50D. So, maybe it now is considered a gizmo.

My EOS-1n has the feature. I find it handy. You point is correct. Hyperfocal calcs do depend on final print size, and acceptable sharpness. It would be a gizmo I would like to see on a K30D.
04-11-2009, 01:14 AM   #78
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Priyantha Bleeker Quote
Well Pentax NEEDS to get their act together....to compete with Canon and Nikon, the K20D is just not on-par any more with the competition these days.

The K30D, or how it will be named needs to have the following minimal to compete with the CURRENT offerings from the other manufacturers that doesn't mean it will be competitive enough to compete with the new offerings from the other manufacturers.

- Minimal 6 FPS
- Same sensor resolution but a new design(not only updated...) with much lower noise and with more Dynamic Range.
- New more powerful processor(dual/quad-core ?) to have enough power to process the high resolution and fast FPS and fast AF...
- Minimal 21 AF points(51 is more the way it should though...)
- AF-C tracking which works....
- Low light AF which is FAST and accurate even without Flash AF help light...
- Faster AF in normal lightning....
- Deeper buffer, minimal 30-50 RAW photo's
- Faster flushing buffer
- Faster reviewing of a burst of pictures
- Live-view with fast contrast AF
- HDMI output to connect die camera with TV's and monitors
- HD-video capture like the new introduced Canon 500D
- New grip design, minimal with a AF button, I would like to see a 1-1 copy of ALL buttons on the camera on the grip...
- LCD screen with a higher resolution, bigger isn't needed
- 100% viewfinder with ALL information needed, so please show ALWAYS the iso which you are shooting
- Faster Flash sync, 1/250 or 1/500
- The old Aperture coupler back !

Other things which are necessary to be competitive to the other competitors for the 'system'
- New High-End zooms, also a 'new' version of the 16-50 2.8, a 70-200 2.8
- New High-End Flash
Ah the mighty high speed AF camera everyone has been waiting for since ... forever!!

Fact is, Pentax never had one of these and probably never will, it's just not the way they think about their cameras (and I still think they just don't have the know-how to do a machine gun cam like this).

I stopped waiting after 15 years... I would like to be wrong but I would bet you're still going to be waiting for it in 15 years...

Buy Pentax for what it is, not what other are or what you would like it to be, that's a safer bet.
04-12-2009, 04:28 AM   #79

A square sensor 23.4 x 23.4mm for my DA lenses
Li-ion accu but a grip for AA accumulators
An articulating flip-out lcd monitor
Larger viewfinder
Body dimensions and body weight like K100D
All the features of the K20, but no problems of some K20 at low temperatures
Price 800-900 euro

Do you think that Pentax managers read this topic?

04-13-2009, 05:27 AM   #80
Inactive Account

k30d???

1.Better performance at high iso

2.Higher FPS 9 or 11 like theD3
(6fps would be fine but while were dreaming why not go big)

3.Higher TV (5D MRK II has 1/8000th
And others offer 1/4500th)

4.Battery grip in the box as standard haha

5.A better Live Veiw system.

Not much else id change
04-13-2009, 08:31 AM   #81

I'd like to see the same dimensions as the K10D/K20D.
A full frame sensor.
Faster AF speed.
1/8000 shutter speed.

I think that's it

-Isaac
04-13-2009, 12:29 PM   #82

i love pentax, and i love my K200D
but i want to upgrade by the end of summer
and if the 'K30D' doesn't have HD video capabilities, i might go with a Canon 60D.
04-15-2009, 01:38 AM   #83
Veteran Member

Things I really want

The 3 inch OLED from the Samsung line of cameras.
14-16MP
AF tracking.
Slightly more predictable metering system in P-TTL
Built in HSS to flash. Would be very nice.
Sync to 1/250 or higher
Max shutter to 1/6000th or higher
No focus shift when going from tungsten light to daylight.
cheaper grip option.
Double card slots
SDXC compatible
More controlled High Iso with no magenta tint in corners or banding.
1080p video at 24FPS. Not more!!!
4FPS at least.
Sealed.
Flash compesation from flash button like on Nikon
CA correction for Jpegs and built in to PEF
Even more effective SR with Panning mode and auto Tripod detection(not really necessary)

04-15-2009, 06:18 AM   #84
Pentaxian

a feature of electronic range finder for manual lens.
04-15-2009, 06:42 AM   #85
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steelski Quote
No focus shift when going from tungsten light to daylight.
Yes please
04-15-2009, 07:27 AM   #86
Dom

Full control of the noise reduction, I want to be able to be my own dark frame.
04-15-2009, 10:56 AM   #87
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by quarc Quote
Please put AF button on grip.

I would still want Pentax to produce an original focusing screen old style, without the F4 effect for us using fast lenses. I know I can buy from China, but why should I have to.

I think the viewfinder is good, but small if compared to P67 or old film cameras. I have alsways thought this was a limitation of APS-C, but after trying out an old D2x, I realised you can do a lot more. So please, also give us a viewfinder a la D2/D3.

A very old requirement: THE GREEN MODE SHOULD BE GREEN. It needs to ignore all my serttings and customer settings. The only time a K30D user would/should use green is when handing the camera over for someone else to take a picture. Then to explain that the AF is on the AF button, is not always easy, and also makes people believe Pentax is a primitive camera where you have to fokus using a separate button :-)

Would be a great place to also program a couple of USER modes.
I think we think much alike on some things. I'd certainly like more USER modes (and ones which would actually *apply or ignore* the Jpeg settings and effects I might be playing with. If you actually use those, (I do, cause my home computer and related workflow hasn't quite caught up to the K20,) ...it'd be nice to be able to get *out* of them in a hurry. If you could set the Green mode up to do exactly what you would like it to do, it could probably be effectively just one of the USER modes but which comes with default settings, and which you can point at and tell someone, 'Keep this dial here.' (I'd probably set mine up as a 'panic' mode that would also serve for snapshots, ...with the most automation and fastest response I could manage, and maybe to make smaller files...the presumption being it'd be for either social situations or when I can't see or concentrate for whatever reason. )

And I heartily agree that even the existing models are crying out for a 'screen for fast lenses.' They do sell these cameras on legacy compatibility: it's about time they either uncrippled the KAF mount or at least made a screen with a focusing aid that'll show the true DOF and meter properly.

(I've posted for an idea I call the 'Ratzeye' screen: one with a microprism circle for quick MF, around a matte spot for fine focusing, visually-confirming the AF is on, and not-confusing-the-meter, and with the matte optimized for at-least-somewhat- faster-than-3.5 lenses. The screen we get does wonders for the kit lens, (and also means there's no sense rushing to have a fast 28 as much as I expected) but is otherwise kind of an impediment. ) Something clever like that would be a boon. All these beautiful fastish lenses, and what do you do, go buy a cut-down screen from some old surplus. Needs looking at.
04-15-2009, 01:19 PM   #88
Veteran Member

What's with everyone's love affair with articulated screens? Seems like just one morething to break to me. Is it that useful? (never used one)
04-15-2009, 01:48 PM   #89
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneralBenson Quote
What's with everyone's love affair with articulated screens? Seems like just one morething to break to me. Is it that useful? (never used one)
It'd be of use on tripods and with macro lenses and real live view, if that was where it seemed to make sense to put the effort.

I'm kind of hoping that's *not* the priority with Pentax. Everyone and their brother is trying to sell still cameras on the basis they are able to be poor versions of anything but. If I wanted that, I'd know where to go.
04-16-2009, 07:17 AM   #90

QuoteOriginally posted by huqedato Quote
1.Full-frame sensor
2. Full-frame sensor
3. Full-frame sensor
4. Full-frame sensor
5. Full-frame sensor
6. Full-frame sensor
100. Full-frame sensor

(and maybe)
101. faster and more accurate AF
102. improved pTTL system
Can you please share what is it that you think needs improve regarding to the pTTL system?