Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2009, 02:25 PM   #1
Veteran Member

What would we want from the K30D?

I see, whilst scanning the web, that the rumours are forthcoming about the K30D.

However, we as Pentax users, what would we want from the K30D, and probably a range of lenses?

We are to assume that Pentax are not going to release a FF model in the foreseeable, due to the fact that other than the FA limiteds and DFA macro lenses, they have no lens range to support FF.

So, then we are to assume that APS-C or APS-H (most DA lenses will support "H"), will be the sensor of choice.

Personally, i would prefer that Pentax keep to the 14.6mp sensor of the K20D, but of course "market forces" will not allow them to do this. "Why buy a 14.6 K30D when the K20D is already this?" will be the response from the ordinary buyer, "I can get a 15.1mp Canon, which MUST be better as it has more pixels!". It is of course a fact of life - more pixels = better.
We all know that this it not true, but when selling a new camera, it is a fact of life (remember pre K10D, Pentax did this with the *ist series, and look where it got them). And before you mention the Canon EOS 1D mk3 "only having 10mp, remember this model was aimed at a different market, rather than the consumer or pro-sumer market that Pentax supply to.

So, taking this all into consideration, newer model, more pixels (shame) etc, what do we want from the K30D?

For me I would say that the following would be either "must haves" or bonuses

If I can't have the 14.6mp sensor (which is fab in low light BTW), then possibly something in the region of max 18mp (16mp would be better), so that we dont have the noise/IQ issues that so have a problem with compact sensors.
If it is 20+mp, then APS-H would be a better option, and think of the USP, only Canon have APS-H on the 1D mk3.

A brand new shutter, which is quieter and more responsive

A new AF system, ala Nikon, with 51 af points, yet has the ablility to be superior in low light (current Pentax AF is better low light than the EOS40D, I have first hand experience), also faster focusing (SDM is good, but could be better)

increased buffer/write speed. The SD is getting better, but still a lot slower than CF, this might come from faster SDHC cards, but the buffer has to come from Pentax

FPS. This would come with a new shutter, but the current 3fps is no longer good enough in the company that the K20D lives with, 6fps would be better. And if Nikon can increase the fps by 2 when the grip is on the D300/D700, whay can't Pentax?

Articulated screen. This would be a bonus rather than a need, but having a screen than moved out about 45 degrees, like the Sony, rather than the flimsy pull out and rotate of the Panasonic, would be nice.

I suppose that at this late stage, if Pentax are reading this, these mods won't be on the K30D, but maybe the K40D, but there is hope that Pentax are thinking of these.

What would you want?

04-07-2009, 02:40 PM   #2
Inactive Account

What I would really like is:
- Same size as the K10D (It fits me perfectly)
- Better dynamic range
- Higher ISO with less noise. Maybe 3200?!?
- Faster AF
- Larger screen with higher resolution. Articulating would be a bonus.

c[_]
04-07-2009, 04:18 PM   #3

No mirror and tilt/shift sensor with DR 12.
Everything else may stay the same.
04-07-2009, 04:30 PM   #4
Inactive Account

1.Full-frame sensor
2. Full-frame sensor
3. Full-frame sensor
4. Full-frame sensor
5. Full-frame sensor
6. Full-frame sensor
100. Full-frame sensor

(and maybe)
101. faster and more accurate AF
102. improved pTTL system

04-07-2009, 04:42 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Faster and more accurate AF
Higher ISO with less noise.
Cheap price.
04-07-2009, 05:01 PM   #6
krs
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Improved AF
Higher ISO with less noise

A bit of a repeat - yes - perhaps a common theme?
04-07-2009, 05:33 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by offertonhatter Quote
I see, whilst scanning the web, that the rumours are forthcoming about the K30D ......
..... I suppose that at this late stage, if Pentax are reading this, these mods won't be on the K30D, but maybe the K40D, but there is hope that Pentax are thinking of these.

What would you want?
I'm affraid you are a bit late with requests. Pentax is already well ahead of that. Just sit and enjoy your current Pentax bodies while waiting. You won't miss them.

RuiC

04-07-2009, 05:47 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by huqedato Quote
1.Full-frame sensor
2. Full-frame sensor
3. Full-frame sensor
4. Full-frame sensor
5. Full-frame sensor
6. Full-frame sensor
I don't get it. If you need full frame, why don't you buy a full-frame camera? There are several on offer. Or skip that crap and go right to a Hasselblad medium format. Nice images there!
04-07-2009, 05:48 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hopefully Pentax has been reading the "Dear Pentax" thread stickied at the top of this forum... ;-)
04-07-2009, 06:25 PM   #10
Forum Member

Bigger and better viewfinder. That's all. K20 is awesome!
And if the sensor must be changed then APS-H.
04-07-2009, 07:23 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
I don't get it. If you need full frame, why don't you buy a full-frame camera? There are several on offer. Or skip that crap and go right to a Hasselblad medium format. Nice images there!
I think that like most of us he wants to use his great Pentax film lenses. and not Canon's or Nikon's

as for me:
I really wish for HD video!! I know not every one needs it but I really do
and I can do with out the tendency to under expose.

Bigger View finder (even thou the current one is excellent)

over all if the K20D would have an HD video

and pentax would have film size fast zoom in production I would be very happy
04-07-2009, 07:42 PM   #12

1. A Full Frame Sensor or atleast APS-H 1.3 format.
2. HD Video Mode
3. Better AF
4. Better High ISO Performance
5. An Articulating Screen

I believe Pentax can support multiple formats, whether APS EVIL, or FF. I see the market going FF eventually though.
04-07-2009, 07:55 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Full frame, great dynamic range, built well, batteries that last a year, small in size and weight... Wait! I have that already, my entire kit is probably cheaper than the tax alone.
Sorry, partial rant to Pentax about current pricing, other-wise, I hit it on the mark ;-)
04-07-2009, 08:02 PM   #14
pdo

Faster focus
Wireless for tethered shooting in the studio.
04-07-2009, 08:21 PM   #15
Pentaxian

A viewfinder and sensor that are parallel. I'm tired of fixing horizons.