Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2009, 05:35 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
i disagree: there is no reason to not admit having improved the af via a firmware upgrade except to comply to some stupid corporate marketing idiot. if pentax did indeed do this and, say, backported the improvements from the k-m (as much as was possible without changing the hardware), there is no shame in that, on the contrary: it shows that pentax does stand behind their products, and that they are willing to deliver the best they can at a certain time, even if they don't make money on it directly. and there is no "i told you so" factor, the AF on the k20d is not "wrong", it is exactly what it is, it can be improved like anything else, but that's just a truism. improving it is good and commendable, not improving it is just average corporate behaviour like i hear you get from canikon ("orphaned" products), it does not mean the af was perfect to begin with, it just means nobody cared about the customers complaining.

being silent about it is just counterproductive. every firmware should have a changelog. remeber the one from k10d? i ended up upgrading from the k100d and sticking with pentax because of seeing the pentax attitude in that changelog. as my k10d was really a samsung, i ended up buying a pentax when goign up to k20d, because i was so convinced about the beneffit of being a pentax customer, i was not just buying a camera. i haven't even checked the price of the gx20.

now, back to the important stuff: can we have that menu option to disable DFS already, please? thank you.

--
nanok, with a plan

ps: there was an option on the k10d to set the initial zoom (magnification) level when reviewing pictures, i cannot seem to find the same on the k20d. unless i am missing something and it's there, please bring it back, it was brilliant.

04-09-2009, 05:47 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Nanok, it's there on the K20D.
Page 184 of the manual.
Select Playback display in the Playback menu.
04-09-2009, 05:57 PM   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Yes and yes...Huge improvement...
04-09-2009, 08:05 PM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just loaded 1.03. Couldn't identify any particular SR improvement, but will try something abit more scientific. It did, however, fix a problem with ISO limits in TAv mode.

04-09-2009, 10:01 PM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eaglerapids Quote
Nanok, it's there on the K20D.
Page 184 of the manual.
Select Playback display in the Playback menu.
yup! thanks a lot.

nanok goes back to his command line interface, tail between hind legs. gui's are confusing
04-09-2009, 10:58 PM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
On the Dpreview forum, a poster mentioned calling Pentax about the firmware, and Pentax told this poster that the SR is only improved for the relationship between the shake reduction and certain focal lengths -- I imagine the ones you have to input when you are using a manual lens on the K20D. This is supposedly the only improvement made by the firmware.
This is interesting as I have an SMC-M 120mm f2.8 lens which SR gave horrible results with it. Unfortunately I just sent my K20D back to Pentax USA for service. The buffer was shot. Camera worked but filling the buffer I would eventually get images that were unable to be written to the card. Camera never locked up or anything. Wasn't the batteries or SD cards either. End long story.

Now I am jonesing to try the new firmware.
04-10-2009, 05:00 AM   #52
Veteran Member

don't know about sr and af, but it seems smc-m metering is fixed? (just did a quick test from 2.8 to 16 with my zenitar, and it seems very consistent). i will need to test further today. can anybody confirm seeing the same with smc-m/m42 lenses?

if it's true, that that's a hell of an improvement. way to go, pentax!
04-10-2009, 06:42 AM   #53
Veteran Member

Update done.
Will try k20d later today

04-10-2009, 06:53 AM   #54
Pentaxian

pretty sure any glass attached to the new firmware gains an extra f stop... anyone else notice this?
04-10-2009, 07:28 AM   #55
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
pretty sure any glass attached to the new firmware gains an extra f stop... anyone else notice this?
This was my thought, but was afraid to say it.
04-10-2009, 08:50 AM   #56
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by filorp Quote
So why Pentax admit that there is an amending the problem with the SR and haven't done this with the AF? SR problem is the type of problem they can confess and AF is the problem they cannot? Tricky way of assumption....
These threads are tricky too. You have to read the whole thing to get all of the information. This was my response to emr when he asked basically the same question:
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Good point. Yes, it would be the same, but nobody seemed to be complaining about the SR, so in sticking with my theory, if you fix (and admit to) a problem that nobody knew existed there is no "See! I told you so!" factor to deal with. It also gives you camouflage for the silent fix.
04-10-2009, 10:48 AM   #57
Veteran Member

I deliberately made testing concerning the AF speed, but did not notice any improvement.

as one member suggested, i setup four points in various distances and tried to go over them as quickly as possible 4 times, then recorded the time.

i did not do the testing after the update, because i kind of felt that it behaves similarly.. same steps.. same lag.. so i say, no AF improvement, at least for my k20d.

What about SR I did not test it before the update, but after the update, I managed to get a sharp picture in dim tungsten light 135mm ISO 500 F/3.5 1/10.. is it good? could i do that before? I do not know. you judge..
04-10-2009, 11:28 AM   #58

No AF improvement for me. I picked two points of different distances in my room. One well lit and one poorly lit. Focused between them 20 times and recorded the time it took. Both the before and after firmware updates are nearly identical. Too bad though.
04-10-2009, 12:29 PM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
ah, that goes without saying. it's the bokeh improvement i am really excited about.
04-10-2009, 03:17 PM   #60
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Improved SR (?)

Subjectively, I think there has been an obvious improvement in SR. A number of long focal length shots I took yesterday afternoon and this morning seem to be a lot sharper and there is an enhanced ability to crop the photo and still get a sharp image. I have attached a very tight crop (300 pixels wide) from a photo of a hot air balloon this morning and it is quite clear that the only limitation in the crop is the lens. This was taken with my K20D hand held with Sigma 100-300 f4 DG EX and Sigma 1.4x TC and SR 'on'. The guide ropes on the balloon are down at pixel level and they are about as clear as one could ever expect them to be.

I also note the other thread mentioning talking about faster autofocus. I would expect that with improved SR that the sharpness of focus would be improved, and in some circumstances the camera would lock on faster and more precisely rather than hunting or missing slightly due to fuzzy edges caused by vibration.

So ... at the moment I'm giving this a happy face
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo