Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2009, 05:46 PM   #121

Hi evinas you report that "With K20D I often get "camera shake" on really high shutter speeds, this happens when I press shutter release button not waiting until SR indication lights up in viewfinder. I can't remember this happening with K10D. SR on my K10D was always ON, on K20D I turn SR on only when I need it."
I am only now replacing my K10D with the K20D (or maybe even keeping the body as a spare). I have never found shake to be an insurmountable problem. 30 years ago I was getting sharp shots from the Mamiuya RB67, a quite heave medium format SLR at as long as 1/15 sec. Do you agree that eliminating shake must start with the photographer?
I shot about 350 stage settings at a recent Andre Rieu concert in Brisbane (Photogtaphers welcome!). i deleted 4 or 5 as showing movement. Shutter speed 1/25 to 1/100 sec. Lens was the Tasmron 70-300 mm distance about 60 or so metres. Zoom between 77mm and 250 mm (in 35 mm terms 105-375mm) some a little soft most excellent viewed of 24 inch HD LCD monitor LR2 zomed.
I am a little concerned at your mention that tha anti-shake is not permanently active when switched on. Have I got it right?
Ron McDermott
Brisbane Queensland

07-01-2009, 06:32 PM   #122
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi, Photog. Have you updated your firmware, yourself?

I have 'good hands' myself, (at least when feeling healthy) from sticking with the old school so long, ...if the SR system, or any SR type system, does not have any shake to detect, like on a tripod, it can actually end up inducing some as the sensor looks for the right correction. I had this issue a *lot* before I updated the firmware on my K20d, now, I actually forget to turn the SR off a lot and don't suffer for it.

SR still does require a little moment to lock on, at times, but if it is switched on, it is active, with the exception of when you use the self-timer. Then, the camera presumes the camera isn't moving and defeats the SR for you.

It sounds like under the conditions you were shooting with that Tammie, though, you may simply have been pushing things too much. SR isn't infallible, anyway, either of wide-open zoom sharpness, or as I presume, recognizing shake effects when you see em.
07-02-2009, 01:01 AM   #123

Hi Ratmagiclady - you asked "Have you updated your firmware" and I have for my K10 each time it was released with no probs whatsoever. Regarding the percentage of sharp shots with the K10 at a concert as I said in my previous post all (350+) were sharp - about 4 or 5 deleted although not all that soft. 95% or so of the rest were very acceptable. Most critically sharp as viewed in LR2 magnified on 24 inch 1920 x 1200 lcd monitor. Shutter speeds between 1 / 25 and 1 / 100. When seated you can rest elbows on knees an make your body into a very good substitute for a tripod.
Believe me, I know what consttiutes a sharp image.
If you give me your email I will send you a sample.
Ron McDermott
07-02-2009, 04:22 AM   #124

Photos: Gallery
So glad you guys have the link here. I tried to find the file through the '/www.pentaximaging.com' site, and they only had v. 1.01!

07-03-2009, 01:18 AM   #125

Ratmagiclady An update - my K20D arrived per FedEx 2 hours ago. So far i have attached the strap, the most difficult step of all! I have been through the menus and functions and set my personal preferences, chosen the custom filename I prefer, Checked the camera function with a couple of lenses, made a few exposures and checked the exposure metering. Mode MANUAL (always!), Press green button (next to on switch) and made a few test exposures. This camera is more accurate than the K10D. I have also updated the firmware to 1.03. This was a breeze - a total "no-brainer". 90 Seconds lated the camera has been reporting 1.03. And I almost forgot transferred my hand-grip from the K10 to the K20.
Ron McDermott