Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2009, 09:01 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just uploaded version 1.0.3 and the camera exploded in my face and ripped the skin off back to my ears. Other than that no problem, works fine...Love it!

04-09-2009, 09:05 AM   #32
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
But wouldn't the situation be the same for SR and yet they're saying it's improved.
Good point. Yes, it would be the same, but nobody seemed to be complaining about the SR, so in sticking with my theory, if you fix (and admit to) a problem that nobody knew existed there is no "See! I told you so!" factor to deal with. It also gives you camouflage for the silent fix.

Sorry to hear about your ears, Ben.
04-09-2009, 09:08 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by parallax Quote
if i were pentax and found a way to improve af with firmware, i would do so without publicizing it. Saying that you fixed a problem is a de facto admission that there was a problem. I don't consider the af characteristics a problem, some people do. Regardless, i think it best in (from pentax's point of view) to make any improvements without any fanfare.

I too think the af speed improved, but i am open to the possibility that it is a placebo effect. I would also allow for the possibility that if there is an improvement it was an "unintended consequence" of the sr improvement; i.e. Faster sr = less sr processor time allowing for quicker autofocus, but that is pure and absolute guessery on my part.
bingo!!!
04-09-2009, 09:19 AM   #34
Veteran Member

i wanted to read this thread to see what kind of magical undocumented improvements people would find from a new firmware... and lo and behold, there are. maybe the pictures will look better now too

04-09-2009, 10:43 AM   #35

I did notice the SR on my k20d never seemed to perform as well as the SR on my k10d, I have upgraded and hopefully this will improve the k20d's SR noticeably
04-09-2009, 12:22 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, yes! I can focus....., its improved...., i want to believe!!!!
04-09-2009, 12:43 PM   #37
Forum Member

Upgraded, i've notice a faster AF, strange ?....already 65 pics with it now...still working

04-09-2009, 01:53 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LuzArt Quote
I have to say, I'm noticing faster AF on my K20 after the firmware upgrade. Is anyone else finding this too?

Unsure on the SR change as yet.

Ben
I have heard the same at P.net. I just upgraded so I will see as well.
04-09-2009, 02:36 PM   #39
Inactive Account

Just got back from a lunch walkabout and I'm going to say that yes, my DA 70mm feels even zippier now.

I'll have to try some of my other lenses to see if I notice the same.
04-09-2009, 02:48 PM   #40
Veteran Member

It will be interesting to see to what degree this firmware update actually improves the camera. I've read all sorts of contradictory reactions to it even just from this morning. The good news: Nobody has said it makes their camera worse, they just disagree on how much difference it makes. Not bad for something you didn't have to pay for.

Personally in my mild fiddling post firmware I have noticed that the AF does SEEM faster for all of my lenses, but this is only really true when I select the focus point for the camera. When I put it on Auto Focus on a complicated subject the camera still takes quite a while double checking, which was of course true before the firmware.

As for the Shake Reduction, I was able to take a reasonably sharp image of a pop bottle in semi-darkness at 1/4 sec exposure time with my FA31. This was really impressive to me, as my hands are sometimes awfully shaky, and yes, I did have my morning coffee beforehand
04-09-2009, 03:14 PM   #41
Closed Account

Really, I can't see any difference... will try testing tomorrow For now, it's the same. Maybe 1/100 sec the SR is faster
04-09-2009, 03:45 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I posted this on DPR, but I might as well post it here as well. A japanese review of the K-m did this technique for focus speed testing using a video camera:
- pick a bunch of points in your room at varying distances and number them
- go through the entire sequence of points and focus on each one (center focus point only), wait for the beep, then go to the next one
- at the end of the sequence, take a photo
- repeat for various levels of light
- repeat for SDM and screwdrive lenses
- obviously, video yourself doing the above
In that K-m review, it was *very* obvious the K-m didn't do the double focus check as much as the K20D w/ the same kit lens.
So if someone has two K20D (one w/ the latest firmware) and a video camera, we can get this answered once and for all. Post the video on youtube so we can view it side by side. Put time markers on the video.
04-09-2009, 04:32 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
If I were Pentax and found a way to improve AF with firmware, I would do so WITHOUT publicizing it. Saying that you fixed a problem is a de facto admission that there was a problem. I don't consider the AF characteristics a problem, some people do. Regardless, I think it best in (from Pentax's point of view) to make any improvements without any fanfare.
So why Pentax admit that there is an amending the problem with the SR and haven't done this with the AF? SR problem is the type of problem they can confess and AF is the problem they cannot? Tricky way of assumption....
04-09-2009, 05:08 PM   #44
Veteran Member

On the Dpreview forum, a poster mentioned calling Pentax about the firmware, and Pentax told this poster that the SR is only improved for the relationship between the shake reduction and certain focal lengths -- I imagine the ones you have to input when you are using a manual lens on the K20D. This is supposedly the only improvement made by the firmware.

Still, I am going to choose to continue enjoying this placebo effect. Come on Pentax, release Placebo Firmware Version 1.04!

Firmware Version 1.04: Using Pentax's proprietary "Photographer's Eye" Software, this firmware version will make you a better photographer, effective immediately.
04-09-2009, 05:16 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Ah, The Eyes of Pentax...

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
On the Dpreview forum, a poster mentioned calling Pentax about the firmware, and Pentax told this poster that the SR is only improved for the relationship between the shake reduction and certain focal lengths -- I imagine the ones you have to input when you are using a manual lens on the K20D. This is supposedly the only improvement made by the firmware.

Still, I am going to choose to continue enjoying this placebo effect. Come on Pentax, release Placebo Firmware Version 1.04!

Firmware Version 1.04: Using Pentax's proprietary "Photographer's Eye" Software, this firmware version will make you a better photographer, effective immediately.