Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2009, 04:02 PM   #91
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Actually, I think I've discovered why results of AF "tests" vary so much between different posters. I think the new firmware does, indeed, boost AF speed - but only if you follow the Rule of Thirds. If your composition is out of whack, it will fail the . . . . taste . . . . test written into the new firmware, thus forcing the camera to refuse to focus or do so only slowly and with a surly attitude.

Seriously, I can't tell any difference between my camera before and after the upgrade vis a vis AF, which is fine with me.

Jer

04-14-2009, 04:44 PM   #92
Veteran Member

and i thought it was just me. have you also noticed how it gently uses the dust removal feature for a fraction of a second to tell you you are putting the damn horizon in the middle of the damn frame? next will be a "child mode" button (with a keylock), to aid with parrental supervision, you see (no nude pictures of pretty girls if you're underage, young man). a new age has come..
04-14-2009, 05:12 PM   #93
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Interesting I've never had a problem in TAv mode, and I use it a lot.

Wonder if the Hyper-programme bug is fixed whereby the "something I can't remember wasn't working properly so I stopped using it and have forgotten what it was"! Something like auto-ISo only working when altering aperture and not working when changing shutter.
Updated last night - this glaring error is still there. In hyper-programme (P) mode auto-ISO only works if you are changing the aperture, not the shutter speed, which is just stupid. One reason I upgraded to the K20D was to use this mode, but I never use it now because of that.
04-14-2009, 08:04 PM   #94
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Actually, I think I've discovered why results of AF "tests" vary so much between different posters. I think the new firmware does, indeed, boost AF speed - but only if you follow the Rule of Thirds. If your composition is out of whack, it will fail the . . . . taste . . . . test written into the new firmware, thus forcing the camera to refuse to focus or do so only slowly and with a surly attitude.

Seriously, I can't tell any difference between my camera before and after the upgrade vis a vis AF, which is fine with me.

Jer
Hrm, how do you figure? I pretty much always use the center focus point, , hold, and recompose, anyway.

I suspect the variations may have to do with the lenses involved. And differences in us, ...there's so many factors, but I've been judging simply by how it behaves when focusing on a single point.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 04-14-2009 at 08:18 PM.
04-14-2009, 08:18 PM   #95
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nanok Quote
or do you mean this firmware update on the sony 900. turns the 900 into a camera (and sony into a decent company) :-P
It would never get past Sony's DRM...
04-15-2009, 06:49 AM   #96
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Hrm, how do you figure? I pretty much always use the center focus point, , hold, and recompose, anyway.

I suspect the variations may have to do with the lenses involved. And differences in us, ...there's so many factors, but I've been judging simply by how it behaves when focusing on a single point.
Ah . . . . but that's part of the magic of the new firmware.

Jer
04-15-2009, 02:01 PM   #97
Veteran Member

Does the upgrade erase the individual lens AF adjustment settings?

If it does, then I need to write down all the settings first before doing the upgrade.

04-15-2009, 02:39 PM   #98
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote

If it does, then I need to write down all the settings first before doing the upgrade.
No. It has no effect on any of your settings. It is, however, a good idea to write them down anyway. Always be mindful of Murphy's Law!
04-15-2009, 03:07 PM   #99
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
No. It has no effect on any of your settings. It is, however, a good idea to write them down anyway. Always be mindful of Murphy's Law!
Thanks for your prompt reply (and advice )!
04-16-2009, 03:40 PM   #100
Inactive Account

I just bought the camera and i want to update.
Here
Latest K20D Firmware Update : Software Downloads : PENTAX

it says that i need to have V1.01 installed before which I can't find anywhere, and by the way is there V1.02 or that was skipped. Can somebody give me some info since I am new to this and I don't want to mess something up.
04-19-2009, 05:46 AM   #101
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Nelepl Quote
Here

it says that i need to have V1.01 installed before which I can't find anywhere, and by the way is there V1.02 or that was skipped. Can somebody give me some info since I am new to this and I don't want to mess something up.
I reread that page and can't find anywhere where it says that you need to have 1.01 installed first. Under the section "Applied Product" it says "K20D (version 1.00/1.01)

Anyway, I installed the update just fine on my camera and it only had version 1.00 on it.
04-19-2009, 05:51 AM   #102
Site Supporter

Here

I don't see anywhere on that page where it says you have to have V.1.01 already in place before applying V.1.03. In fact, the page says "Applied product [-] K20D (Version 1.00/1.01)", meaning (I think) that V.1.03 is intended to be used on a K20D with V.1.00 ~or~ V.1.01.

The page does mention the V.1.01 changes and the V.1.03 changes, but does not say that you need V.1.01 before applying V.1.03, My assumption is that both sets of changes are included in the V.1.03 update.

Yes, apparently V.1.02 was "skipped".
04-19-2009, 12:39 PM   #103
Inactive Account

Sorry it does not say on that page, but it says in the read me file when you download the update

PENTAX K20D Firmware Updating to Version 1.03
==========================================================================

* Firmware is the software that runs inside digital cameras.

Updatable models
K20D digital SLR cameras running Firmware Ver. 1.00 and Ver.1.01
04-19-2009, 12:45 PM   #104

This means 1.00 OR 1.01
You can't have "both" versions on the same camera...
04-19-2009, 12:48 PM   #105
Inactive Account

Sorry it does not say on that page, but it says in the read me file when you download the update

PENTAX K20D Firmware Updating to Version 1.03
==========================================================================

* Firmware is the software that runs inside digital cameras.

Updatable models
K20D digital SLR cameras running Firmware Ver. 1.00 and Ver.1.01
Exactly!!!! K20D cameras running Firmware Ver. 1.00 and Ver. 1.01

so again, this firmware will install on K20D cameras running firmware version 1.00 as well as K20D cameras running firmware version 1.01.

Take your pick, install on cameras with FW v 1.00 or FW v. 1.01

I happened to have FW v. 1.00 on my camera so this installed fine.

I think you are fine if you have a K20D with firmware version 1.00 or 1.01.