Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2011, 02:25 PM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
1) Fix the SDM issues and relegate micro motors to consumer lenses and ring motors for higher end stuff;
2) Adopt KAF3 for all SDM lenses (not popular I know but unavoidable on long term) and keep shaft driven only to DA LTDs;
3) Start to "redo" lenses from the past with modern designs such as FA LTDs (all 3 of them) and FA* 200/4 Macro;
4) Unfortunately I don't think it's only a matter of mechanics and new coatings. The designs themselves need changes in element curvature (special for digital) and optical elements that many older lenses didn't had (such as low/extra low dispersion elements or aspherical ones if needed);
5) *We* need longer DA LTDs with a final pancake as long as possible (90-100mm probably) and at least a modern 135mm;
6) I would welcome a version II for the 2 DA* zooms with faster AF motors (ring type), KAF3 mount and other mechanical and optic updates;
7) From your list I think some lenses will need only minor tweaks (FA 35 and 50) and will have a new life in a new *digital body*. Other designs are IMO obsolete and rather than improving on them maybe they need to start fresh.
8) If Pentax could make 7-9 new lenses a year (including updates) I think in about 2 years time the line-up will be a solid one with modern designs and good performers in both consumer and premium range.

Radu
Great list, but 7-9 new lenses per year is very expensive, even for Ricoh. I suspect they'd need to build a whole new factory to meet that, or lease the equivalent of a whole current factory's lines, vs just opening up all available lines and shifts in existing factories. Also, it's confirmed Ricoh is hiring engineers now for their Pentax division, so they have something already planned, but it's a huge engineering task also to come out with 7-9 designs in one year, even if some are refreshes.

2-3 lenses per year in more reasonable - in about 6 or 7 years, Pentax would have an incredible lens lineup, fully FF-freindly, well established, and Sigma/Tamron would most likely offer all of their lenses again in K-mount as a by-product of this initiative. (in other words: Ricoh will be saying. "K-mount is here to stay.")

11-12-2011, 03:04 PM   #47
Pentaxian

That was posted back in 2009, but it would be great if Ricoh will do exactly what Radu said. By the way, he was dead on about the FA 35.
I don't believe 7 new lenses, including one D FA645 and maybe one or two Q-mount, would be an impossible task. I'm certain they can do more than 2-3 K-mount lenses per year, and I believe it's a better alternative than having to wait for 6-7 years.
11-12-2011, 04:15 PM   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
That was posted back in 2009
Ooops
11-12-2011, 04:17 PM   #49
Pentaxian

Wow, time has stopped for a while!

11-13-2011, 03:35 AM   #50
Pentaxian

Yeah, Hoya was good at stopping time
11-13-2011, 12:24 PM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Yeah, Hoya was good at stopping time

Along with lens roadmpas. Hoya has cured my LBA.

Dave
11-13-2011, 12:39 PM   #52

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveBlack Quote
Along with lens roadmpas. Hoya has cured my LBA.

Dave
Me too, my last two purchases were Sigmas; the 70-200 and the 30/1.4
11-13-2011, 01:33 PM   #53
Pentaxian

Well my last purchase was DA*300mm/f4, so I'm still on the good side, but I'm looking for something good and fast.

11-14-2011, 06:43 AM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by noser Quote
Me too, my last two purchases were Sigmas; the 70-200 and the 30/1.4

I haven't brought a non-Pentax lens yet but have looked areally long at the Sigma 8-16, and 500/4.5. Also will like to see the Sigma 150 macro and the 120-300/2.8 be released in K-mount. Most likley I will wait until January or February beore buying. By then we just might see what direction Pentax under Ricoh ownership is heading.

Dave
11-14-2011, 07:28 AM   #55
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ray Pulley Quote
I have always lusted after some of the Pentax classics in the FA* line, but making them again really is not as simple as it might seem.

The glass used in older lenses contained lead, which makes it particularly good at certain things that are useful in lens making:

Lead glass - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Look most closely at the Properties area for some clues as to why lead was used in the older lens designs.

Lead in products such as this has been banned in most of Europe for a few years now.

So, in order to re-make these classics, Pentax would have to completely rework the optical forumlas, which impacts the rest of the design. One things leads to another, and at the end of the day, Pentax would have to re-design almost everything about the FA* lenses of the good old days.

Since Pentax has no FF or film cameras in production, and there are no signs that they will have any such bodies in production any time soon, what sense would it make to spend money on such a project?

Ray
Which is why you can't buy the 645 lenses in a lot of the world. they are still made with lead and you have to order from japan to get them
11-14-2011, 08:17 AM   #56
Pentaxian

IMHO The only lens Pentax needs to add to their line up right now would be an update of the FA 250-600. And it would be worth close to 10 grand and no one would buy it because of the expense. I had a chance to bid on one that had already gone of $7,000 earlier this year but, that's a lot of coin. It's fine to ask for great lenses, but who can afford them? If you have 6% of market share, you don't have a lot of folks to sell too. But just to keep things real.. why not list the lenses you'd like and also post for Pentax, what you'd be willing to pay for it. Once a lens goes over $2,000 there is a very limited and discriminating market for it. I'm sure if you can get 1000 posters willing to pay $3500 for a 300mm f2.8 Pentax will look into it. That would give them 3.5 million to work with. Simultaneous to that though, I'd be really surprised if even 100 would pony up for that lens upon it's release. R&D and production costs are not going to be covered by $350,000.

But hey, we can always dream...
11-14-2011, 09:09 AM   #57
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
IMHO The only lens Pentax needs to add to their line up right now would be an update of the FA 250-600. And it would be worth close to 10 grand and no one would buy it because of the expense. I had a chance to bid on one that had already gone of $7,000 earlier this year but, that's a lot of coin. It's fine to ask for great lenses, but who can afford them? If you have 6% of market share, you don't have a lot of folks to sell too. But just to keep things real.. why not list the lenses you'd like and also post for Pentax, what you'd be willing to pay for it. Once a lens goes over $2,000 there is a very limited and discriminating market for it. I'm sure if you can get 1000 posters willing to pay $3500 for a 300mm f2.8 Pentax will look into it. That would give them 3.5 million to work with. Simultaneous to that though, I'd be really surprised if even 100 would pony up for that lens upon it's release. R&D and production costs are not going to be covered by $350,000.

But hey, we can always dream...
It will need a longer payback that is for certain. it would also need to be priced competitive to the canikon offerings and of course there would need to be a FF available for it, and pro level AF etc. a lot of things to line up, with no firm clientele to buy it (though the clientele exists in the open market)
Canon 300 2.8 - $6800
400 2.8 - $10500
Nikon 300 2.8 - $5900
400 2.8 - $8700

these are prices today on Vistek (hardly the cheapest dealer in Canada)

Demand is there though because they stock all 4 of these lenses, not special order them. I imagine though they keep 1 of each to service all their stores nationally. and probably only the main location has a demo (though they may have one in the other stores, Canikon have generous demo allowances for these items. they know people need to touch them to part with 10G's

In general though a lens like this will not change for a long time with any company. So you figure out the Projected ROI and build the lenses and keep them warehoused on japan shipping to meet demand. When a new run is being planned you look at any relevant upgrades (newer coatings etc)
Pretty certain this is even the reality for Canikon (you hit a price on a certain number of units and at this level it's likely cheaper to build in advance and warehouse than do small runs which disrupt the line from faster sellers)

I'm pretty sure the 12-24, 24-70, 70-200 2.8 zooms are a much higher priority if they are going to jump into the FF market
All of which will have to be developed (sa nice as the 28-70 and 80-200 were they aren't the right fir in the digital world. the 3 I mentioned are the 3 needed

Last edited by eddie1960; 11-14-2011 at 09:15 AM.
11-14-2011, 12:42 PM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
But just to keep things real.. why not list the lenses you'd like and also post for Pentax, what you'd be willing to pay for it.
And send a deposit. "Hello PRIC, I want a xxx/yy lens and I'm willing to pay US$2k and here's my US$555 deposit, let me know when it's ready, OK?" A few thousand of those, and they'll get moving on it, eh?
11-14-2011, 12:44 PM   #59
Loyal Site Supporter

^^^^^^^^
11-14-2011, 05:01 PM   #60
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
And send a deposit.
Actually, if you could all just send your deposits to me.. I'll hold them and use them as a negotiating tool. And if you can get 10 freinds to also send me a deposit, I'll send you $500. No one ever said I was greedy..