Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2009, 04:41 PM   #1486
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Priyantha Bleeker Quote
Maksim Chicherin Photography Official Web Site
Mmm the same picture can be found there as on the previous page...

Pentax K20D in work
The camera in action....
Not sure what you mean. The first one's an *ist D.

[edit] Never mind. For some reason it didn't load the lower image on my browser the first time I clicked.

Last edited by Jerry Thirsty; 04-29-2009 at 04:46 PM.
04-29-2009, 05:13 PM   #1487
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Yohan Pamudji Quote
Even as a Canon user I can't defend the feel of the Rebels. They might be just as capable as simple light capturing devices, but they sure do feel flimsy. Quite sure the K-7 won't be competing against the T1i.
unfortunately, it will be doing exactly that all over the world in magazines, forums, review sites, photo store counters, and mainstream word of mouth, where things like legacy, lens compatibility, viewfinder magnification and ergonomics sadly don't count for much.
04-29-2009, 05:17 PM   #1488
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mcjm78 Quote
Isn't that white round thing an AF assist lamp?
QuoteOriginally posted by Zav Quote
I think there will be one, look at the clear spot near the grip!
What could it be otherwise?
QuoteOriginally posted by soccerjoe5 Quote
Isn't that white circle by the shutter an AF-assist lamp?
I hope it is, but it looks like a white-balance thing for me, like the one on the Olympus E-3.

04-29-2009, 05:19 PM   #1489
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
I hope they have it well shielded and neat as a pin or our friend Peter will have a field day (again)..
Oh hey! I remember that.

04-29-2009, 05:22 PM   #1490
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
I hope it is, but it looks like a white-balance thing for me, like the one on the Olympus E-3.
damn, you're right.
04-29-2009, 05:31 PM   #1491
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
ah, the first (realistic) disappointment with the K-7.

FPS is one of the two specs that keeps Pentax a niche alternative that doesn't compete with Canon and Nikon in what the mainstream consider the 'pro' space. the other being the sensor size (FF).

yes, the conventional photographic 'wisdom' is that Pentax's AF system is also not pro-level but on the all-telling back of the box, 11 crosstype AF point sensors sounds good doesn't it? regrettably that's what sells most cameras: specs. (MP anyone?)

at least Pentax increased a number on their spec sheet with regards to the metering. "77 zone" will look good on the back of the box. i hope it really does translate into an improvement
Sensor size was never an issue. Working professionals consider the E-3 up to pro spec, and that's with a much-maligned 4/3 sensor. Even when Canon and Kodak had the only FF DSLRs on the market, working pros never thought that Nikon's D1/2/200/300 were not pro cams because of the APS-C sensor. Other cameras that are still considered pro-spec regardless of sensor size: Olympus E-1, Sony A700, and Fujifilm's Sx series.

Some of us really do think FF is the cure-all for all photographic ills. It's medicine for some ailments, but not the elixir we make it out to be. And it certainly doesn't define if a camera is professional or not. It's only in pro cameras since manufacturers need to make serious money off them, which they can only charge in professional-level cameras.

Feel free to bash SAFOX VIII and the now seemingly archaic 3 FPS limit of Pentax's current set of cameras (Pentax does deserve it), but let's not make the mistake of assuming that a camera with no FF means it could never be a professional camera.

And it's really the pro support service that defines a brand's readiness for working pros, more so than the specs. Today's entry-level camera specs are already decent enough for some working pros (of course, with concessions regarding handling, etc., but workable).

Last edited by vinzer; 04-29-2009 at 05:49 PM.
04-29-2009, 05:34 PM   #1492
Veteran Member

I had to laugh at the "Enjoy waiting" quote. I'm worried, though, that they might pull a DA* 60-250 on this one.
04-29-2009, 05:37 PM   #1493
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by torge Quote
could that be a lever for DOF preview on the right side of the mount (left in the pic)? Would be close to the same spot as used on all the classic, although actuation would be more likely a push towards the body instead of the mount as on those old models. That would free up the lever around the shutter to do what?

In film days I used DOF preview all the time with my MX and LX and found it very usefull. Since APS-C I have hardly used it, as it just doesn't seem to work. This has always been my biggest grief with the smaller format, not so much the quality or iso performance.

I hope they have done something to the viewfinder to bring it closer to the old film days quality!

Cheers,
Torge
Wow, you're right. I do appreciate that, if they did place a DOF lever where they used to have it in old film cameras. It would certainly be better to check DOF using that instead of twisting the On/Off switch past the "On" setting.

04-29-2009, 05:48 PM   #1494
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by redpigeons Quote
like what?

not trying to be annoying I am really asking.
On the assumption that the K-7 will be at least K20D...
- 2 control dials (I'm actually okay with one, but having two dials helps)
- bigger and brighter viewfinder (haven't seen this new Rebel, but up until the 400D I managed to try, the viewfinder hasn't improved much over the tunnel-vision 300D I started with)
- weather sealing (can't emphasize that enough where I live )
- PC sync port (dunno if this new Rebel has it)
- more buttons to reduce menu-diving when changing settings

Based on the leaked photos...
- external mic in (it helps some - at least it's better than onboard audio)

Where I think it will lag with respect to the Rebel (just speculation here on my part)...
- phase-detect AF will be slower (unless they make radical changes to the existing SAFOX VIII)
- lower FPS
04-29-2009, 05:51 PM   #1495
Veteran Member

Sensor size was never an issue. Working professionals consider the E-3 up to pro spec, and that's with a much-maligned 4/3 sensor. Even when Canon and Kodak had the only FF DSLRs on the market, working pros never thought that Nikon's D1/2/200/300 were not pro cams because of the APS-C sensor. Other cameras that are still considered pro-spec regardless of sensor size: Olympus E-1, Sony A700, and Fujifilm's Sx series.

Some of us really do think FF is the cure-all for all photographic ills. It's medicine for some ailments, but not the elixir we make it out to be. And it certainly doesn't define if a camera is professional or not. It's only in pro cameras since manufacturers need to make serious money off them, which they can only charge in professional-level cameras.

Feel free to bash SAFOX VIII and the now seemingly archaic 3 FPS limit of Pentax's current set of cameras (Pentax does deserve it), but let's not make the mistake of assuming that a camera with no FF means it could never be a professional camera.

And it's really the pro support service that defines a brand's readiness for working pros. Not the specs that one wants in his/her dream camera.
yes, thats why i said it was one of TWO specs people consider when they they think "pro". FPS and general 'speed' (fps + AF speed). all those APS-C cameras you mentioned were beyond Pentax in that regard. and if the current SPECulation is true, they still will be.

only now is FF becoming a new "pro" standard as well as speed, with only the three richest camera makers supporting the format. this only pushes Pentax further in the amateur direction than it already is considered to be.

this doesn't affect me, an amateur, Pentax uniquely fulfills the attributes i look for in a camera. but regrettably it will affect Pentax, as many many more amateurs care what the pros use. in marketing terms, that's what 'prestige' is all about.
04-29-2009, 06:05 PM   #1496
Veteran Member

On the assumption that the K-7 will be at least K20D...
- 2 control dials (I'm actually okay with one, but having two dials helps)
- bigger and brighter viewfinder (haven't seen this new Rebel, but up until the 400D I managed to try, the viewfinder hasn't improved much over the tunnel-vision 300D I started with)
- weather sealing (can't emphasize that enough where I live )
- PC sync port (dunno if this new Rebel has it)
- more buttons to reduce menu-diving when changing settings

Based on the leaked photos...
- external mic in (it helps some - at least it's better than onboard audio)

Where I think it will lag with respect to the Rebel (just speculation here on my part)...
- phase-detect AF will be slower (unless they make radical changes to the existing SAFOX VIII)
- lower FPS
my question is why you're comparing the low level rebel to the k-7?
04-29-2009, 06:05 PM   #1497
Veteran Member

I had to laugh at the "Enjoy waiting" quote. I'm worried, though, that they might pull a DA* 60-250 on this one.
i really hope thats not an official Pentax marketing asset. Ned B playing coy with the jacuzzi shot at least had a personal flair, but this is just kinda dick-ish.

objectively, i don't know what other camera companies would play with their customers so nonchalantly. is this a good or bad thing?

(yes, it's also not very "professional". again, i personally don't care, but many do, so had to say it. )
04-29-2009, 06:07 PM   #1498
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
yes, thats why i said it was one of TWO specs people consider when they they think "pro". FPS and general 'speed' (fps + AF speed). all those APS-C cameras you mentioned were beyond Pentax in that regard. and if the current SPECulation is true, they still will be.
Really? When I think "pro", I think "studio photographer who barely cares about those things". I think of high FPS and quick autofocus when I think of the guy trying to take pictures of his kids at a basketball game.
04-29-2009, 06:08 PM   #1499
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dave sz Quote
my question is why you're comparing the low level rebel to the k-7?
because, on paper at least, many of the specs are comparable. especially for those new to photography
04-29-2009, 06:09 PM   #1500
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Really? When I think "pro", I think "studio photographer who barely cares about those things". I think of high FPS and quick autofocus when I think of the guy trying to take pictures of his kids at a basketball game.
yep. and thats when they think sensor size.

don't forget FPS and autofocus are also for people who take pictures of kids who play in the NBA...etc