Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2009, 08:36 PM   #1516

I use multi-exposure quite often. Just hope that can allow K-7 to easy to use this mode.

04-29-2009, 10:12 PM   #1517
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Actually, Ryan, a sealed body is of great use even without a sealed lens. It means you dont' have to treat the camera like an open circuit board, and protect your lens like you always would.

That means a whole lot less area to protect in a bit of rain. It'd certainly be a nice feature to have if I ever get hold of the new 55, but I don't think it'd change my habits much.
Eh I hate going out in the rain...it's the snow that I like to take pics of (even though I hate snow with a passion)...guess I'm just used to it. Also looking up at the birds means the camera isn't covering the lens, as happened the other day in the drizzle.

Seeing rain drops on the extended barrel of a non-sealed zoom lens is kinda
QuoteOriginally posted by Torphoto Quote
Yes it does, the question is to what extent has it been, not if it has been.
You could look at it one of two ways.

First...the leaked smaller pics were cropped from this/a similar image and they're just showing the whole thing now because honestly...the point of view is shifted slightly and they put a lens on it...otherwise pretty much the same as the "21.5.09" pic.

Or, they could have taken smaller images and put them together for this newest pic.

I don't think they'd (whoever "they" are) would take the time to bother with the second...probably not even the first. Maybe the model number is PS-ed out...ok. Probably about the extent of it...
QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
and the megathread rolls on....

Did you guys know that is what other sites are calling this thread.
Being part of history ftw
04-30-2009, 12:41 AM   #1518
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
I hope it is, but it looks like a white-balance thing for me, like the one on the Olympus E-3.

If it was a white balance sensor, wouldn't it be, you know, white? The thing on the Pentax is transparent and looks just like the AF assist lamp on a Nikon or whatnot
04-30-2009, 02:03 AM   #1519
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dave sz Quote
my question is why you're comparing the low level rebel to the k-7?
Because redpigeons was asking about what's different about the K-7 over the Rebel. I never saw any hard rule or law that we never should compare cameras of different levels.

Here's a scenario for you (and akin to what redpigeons was asking):

Jerry (not his real name) walks into camera store. He has $1500 to spend for camera stuff. He's new to DSLRs but did much research so he has an idea of what models to look out for. He looked at the D90. He found it to be very, very nice. He looks at the price tag. Doable with his budget.

He then looks at the D60. He does acknowledge that it is much of a fall-off from the D90, but the extra money he saves could go into other lenses and give him a more complete kit. He figures he can upgrade to a better cam later on, so he goes to the counter to purchase the D60 and an assortment of lenses and equipment.

Suddenly, alarms go off in the store! The camera elitism police has arrived!

The whole store goes into lockdown and Jerry is arrested.

The police read him his rights and then tells him:
"You never should've compared the D90 with the D60. It's Sing-Sing for you!"

Yes, we all know the K-7 is placed as a higher-level camera, but that shouldn't stop anyone from comparing cameras of different levels. There still are valid reasons for doing so, primarily: "is it worth the extra coin over lower-level models?".

04-30-2009, 02:05 AM   #1520
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
i really hope thats not an official Pentax marketing asset. Ned B playing coy with the jacuzzi shot at least had a personal flair, but this is just kinda dick-ish.

objectively, i don't know what other camera companies would play with their customers so nonchalantly. is this a good or bad thing?

(yes, it's also not very "professional". again, i personally don't care, but many do, so had to say it. )
Well, I think those (645D and DA* 60-250) are more of exceptions than the rule. Pentax did manage to ship other items relatively on time.
04-30-2009, 02:07 AM   #1521
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
and the megathread rolls on....

Did you guys know that is what other sites are calling this thread.
I don't. If they're derogatory in nature, I have a general idea of the kind of people they are.
04-30-2009, 02:10 AM   #1522
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Erik Quote
If it was a white balance sensor, wouldn't it be, you know, white? The thing on the Pentax is transparent and looks just like the AF assist lamp on a Nikon or whatnot
Good point. The one on the Pentax looks a bit more translucent than the one Nikons have, which is why I raised some doubts. But it may be the lighting, too, so I'll go with your assessment.

04-30-2009, 02:18 AM   #1523
Veteran Member

Something to pas the Time by.

Now you can channel your energy into something really nice.

Build your own Pentax MX from card.

There was a thread on this in the Pentax film cameras section, But I can not believe that more people did not comment on the excellent post.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/29617-make-you-own-pentax-mx.html

And here is a link to the build your MX kit directly
http://stonefield.cocolog-nifty.com/higurashi/images/mx_paper_ver1.jpg

04-30-2009, 02:21 AM   #1524
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
Good point. The one on the Pentax looks a bit more translucent than the one Nikons have, which is why I raised some doubts. But it may be the lighting, too, so I'll go with your assessment.

Could it be both. The AF assist lamp might not be very bright on the K7, but still, the split second before the picture is taken the light will be off and allow the normal function of WB to take over....... Could it be????
04-30-2009, 02:39 AM   #1525

Mmm does Pentax thinks that if they put on the camera a AF light that than all the low-light AF problems are gone ?
I don't think so...when I use my K20D with my AF-540FGZ flash and use it in 'SB' mode so it will give me only the AF assist, it helps for sure, but it is still not as fast as a Canon 40D without or a Canon 50D without and surely not as fast as a Nikon D300 without af assist when I compare(yes I do have the experience with those camera's in low-light) them with each other the K20D is still the slowest.

So it will not solve the low-light problem, it will 'help' but it is a, well should call it a 'quick-fix' at my work, not a decent solution of the problem that the AF system is simply not good enough yet.
And a white AF assist is very annoying, I had a Nikon D70 in the past, the AF system back then was also not that good(but it was faster than de K10D....) I did hate the annoying white light and also the people to photograph did found it annoying.
The best solution is just improve the AF system that it is on par with the competition in low-light, and put a AF assist on it for the REALLY dark areas(but I do prefer using than my AF540FGZ as AF assist ).
04-30-2009, 02:48 AM   #1526

if Pentax K-7 has same SAFOX VIII as Pentax K-20, then I doubt about better AF speed.

Last edited by Vaikis_; 04-30-2009 at 02:58 AM.
04-30-2009, 02:59 AM   #1527

QuoteOriginally posted by Vaikis_ Quote
if Pentax K-7 has same SAFOX VIII as Pentax K-20, then I doubt about better AF
Yeps...and I doubt that Pentax did use a new AF system
BUT I do have still hope for it
When Pentax introduced the K10D I had hoped they should drop the old SAFOX VIII system introduced with the film *ist and the dSLR *ist D. But they didn't.
They did improve the performance of it yes, but not enough to get even on par with the competetition with the camera's introduced in the time of the *ist D, like the Canon 10D the Nikon D100/D70, they are all faster as the newer K10D.

With the K20D they did improve the same AF system again and it is again a bit faster yes. It is whooping fast now.....not. But the rest of the camera is very good and I like it, but the AF system is a problem still.

So maybe Pentax can introduce finally after they introduce this system in 2002/2003 in the *ist film camera...they can introduce a completely new AF system ?
04-30-2009, 03:31 AM   #1528
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
K-7 AF bottom chamber

QuoteOriginally posted by Priyantha Bleeker Quote
So maybe Pentax can introduce finally after they introduce this system in 2002/2003 in the *ist film camera...they can introduce a completely new AF system ?

At least, the AF chamber in the bottom of the mirror box looks the same as for K20D.

Attached, find an image of the K-7 AF bottom chamber.

Last edited by falconeye; 06-15-2011 at 05:28 AM.
04-30-2009, 03:59 AM   #1529
ogl
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The specs are known, but no leaks. I think that the second wave of leaks will be only in 2 weeks. Close to May, 18-19.
04-30-2009, 04:10 AM   #1530
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Priyantha Bleeker Quote
And a white AF assist is very annoying, I had a Nikon D70 in the past, the AF system back then was also not that good(but it was faster than de K10D....) I did hate the annoying white light and also the people to photograph did found it annoying.
If a white LED is "very annoying", I don't think there are enough adjectives in the English language to fully declare how excruciatingly, savagely, utterly PAINFUL the flash strobe is.