Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2009, 01:31 PM   #1726
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Votesh Quote
I don't have any interest in creating a photo like that. I'm not making a scrapbook, I'm taking a picture. The type of photo I'm talking about can be done with little to no PP. I've seen many examples of it
what does astrophotography have to do with the K-7?

maybe you need a new thread?

05-02-2009, 01:52 PM   #1727
Veteran Member

Astrophotography

Astrophotography is as respectable as any other form, certainly similar to the paparazzi...they are both shooting stars after all.

I'm sure the K-7 will be a suitable camera for both.
05-02-2009, 02:03 PM   #1728
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by mutedphotos Quote
Votesh - What exactly are you looking for in terms of night photography? The shutter speed max will be the same regardless of the camera, so are you just needing better high ISO performance? If that's the case and you're looking at the D700 vs 5D, I'd say go for the D700. Not only is its noise performance on par with, or even a little better than the 5D, but Nikon also does a tremendous job of minimizing chroma noise so the resulting images have a more pleasing monochromatic noise pattern (looks more like film grain to me, instead of blotchy digital color noise).
What I'm mainly looking for as far as night sky shots go is better high ISO performance, but also the ability to use wide angle lenses as wide angle lenses. These would both help for the star shots I'm looking for. The shutter speed length for the same combination of aperture and ISO will indeed be the same, but by using a wider lens that does not further have a decreased FOV due to APS-C cropping, a longer exposure can be done while maintaining stars as points.

For example, if I got a 5D the first lens I would get would probably be the Mark I version of the 24mm f1.4. With this FL a shutter speed of 25 seconds would keep the stars a points. On the other hand, with my 31mm the longest shutter speed I can use on my K10D would be about 13 seconds to get the same effect. So with both lenses at the same aperture(say f2.0 because they both perform fairly well at this aperture from what I've seen), not only would I be able to capture twice the light but I'd have a wider FOV and better high ISO performance so I could kick up the ISO for even more light capture.

Like I've said though, this isn't the sole reason I'd get a 5D. I'm just in the market for a new body(I have pretty much everything I want as far as lenses go for Pentax, so my gear buying has to shift somewhere). I have a feeling the 5D(which I'm heavily leaning towards just due to price) or D700(I've mostly ruled this out just because of the price of it and Nikon lenses in general) will be a much bigger improvement over the K10D than the K7 will. I'll have to get some new lenses, but there are plenty of lenses available for the Canon or Nikon systems that Pentax has no available competition for so I wouldn't be buying duplicate focal lengths for dual systems or anything like that. I'd really love to have the previously mentioned 24mm, and I'd probably get a T/S lens as well.
05-02-2009, 02:05 PM   #1729
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
Sony has, IMO, the most distict look of all the DSLR's.
You mean the ugliest of all DSLR's?
Ok so some Canons are equally ugly if not worse...

Anyway, I disagree that they are distinctive apart from the ugliness. I find most DSLR to have no real styling or design; just a formless blob without character of charisma. Like the blandest of Asian cars. Cameras you forget what looks like until the next time you see them.

The Pentax K7 seems to me to a DSLR with more distinction; it is certainly a progress from it's predecessors....

05-02-2009, 02:17 PM   #1730
Inactive Account

Nothing, except that other cameras will probably do it better. I just mentioned many pages back that I would either get the K7 or a 5D and that I'd like to know the specs of the K7 now so I could make my decision as soon as possible. People acted like I was spouting heresy and I told them one of the reasons I was interested in the 5D over Pentax bodies(astrophotography). This led to people telling me how I'm doing it wrong or how my K10D is just as capable as any other camera, as long as what I was doing wasn't what I actually was interested in doing. So I replied. And kept replying, and people just haven't quit with the suggestions. I'm fine with letting it die, and suggested that should be done pages ago. It just hasn't happened.

No other thread is necessary. I know what I want to do and what I need to do it, but people keep on with the suggestions otherwise. I guess I just made a terrible mistake by suggesting that another brand may be more capable in some area of photography than Pentax.

Anyway, I'll let the subject die and will no longer reply to anything directed at me regarding the subject. And this thread can continue on with unsubstantiated info from the mighty ones with their super secret sources.
05-02-2009, 02:26 PM   #1731
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
You mean the ugliest of all DSLR's?
Ok so some Canons are equally ugly if not worse...

Anyway, I disagree that they are distinctive apart from the ugliness. I find most DSLR to have no real styling or design; just a formless blob without character of charisma. Like the blandest of Asian cars. Cameras you forget what looks like until the next time you see them.

The Pentax K7 seems to me to a DSLR with more distinction; it is certainly a progress from it's predecessors....
I like the look of the A900. Then again I prefer the look of a mid 80's Volvo to most current cars with more rounded designs. I think the K7 also looks very nice, as do the K10D and K20D.
05-02-2009, 02:27 PM   #1732
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

All I know, is I now feel the need to link to this Timescapes Timelapse: Learning to Fly on Vimeo

05-02-2009, 02:46 PM   #1733
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
All I know, is I now feel the need to link to this Timescapes Timelapse: Learning to Fly on Vimeo
That was amazing.
05-02-2009, 03:49 PM   #1734
Veteran Member

I guess I just made a terrible mistake by suggesting that another brand may be more capable in some area of photography than Pentax.
Anyway, I'll let the subject die
Thank you for your participation while it lasted.

I enjoyed discussing this topic very much and I thought it was a nice entertaining "break in the wait for the specs"

Speaking for myself, it had nothing to do with any brand. I was just curious to figure out how to best do a stary night photography.

Again, thank you for your participation. I'll let the subject die as well.
05-02-2009, 04:34 PM   #1735
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nhawk Quote
I'll probably be hated for this, but I think it's too similar.
no you're totally right. there's absolutely nothing unconventional about the K-7's body except perhaps its dimensions.

Olympus has already shown how small a DSLR can be so let's hope the K-7 brings something special on the inside. all eyes on that Viewfinder.....
05-02-2009, 04:50 PM   #1736
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
Olympus has already shown how small a DSLR can be so let's hope the K-7 brings something special on the inside. all eyes on that Viewfinder.....
Actually, Pentax has shown how small a SLR with the Olympus sensor/film form factor can be -- Pentax Auto 110
05-02-2009, 05:34 PM   #1737

For example, if I got a 5D the first lens I would get would probably be the Mark I version of the 24mm f1.4.
I think that's probably going to be your biggest issue with any APS-C camera, a wide fast lens. As far as I know you're only real options are the 14/2.8 and 15/4, or maybe the new sigma 10-20/3.5. Those lenses could get you into the 30-40s exposure range but aren't as fast as a 1.4 so you might still be left dealing with high ISO issues again.
05-02-2009, 06:13 PM   #1738
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Actually, Pentax has shown how small a SLR with the Olympus sensor/film form factor can be -- Pentax Auto 110
You wanna try shoehorning AF, 3fps, advanced AE, storage for a bunch of extra rolls of film, and a film-developing tank into an auto-110 body? lol
05-02-2009, 07:05 PM   #1739
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
You wanna try shoehorning AF, 3fps, advanced AE, storage for a bunch of extra rolls of film, and a film-developing tank into an auto-110 body? lol
Olympus just might with their upcoming micro 4/3 cam..
05-02-2009, 08:55 PM   #1740
Veteran Member

If it's going to be smaller than the K20d than it won't be for me I love the feel of the K20d in my hands. My K100 was too small for my big hands.

Isn't it's going to be a camera for mainly Prime lens users?
If so it will be more for landscape and portrait shooters.
I sure hope the K30 will stay the same size as the K20.