Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2009, 04:41 PM   #211
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mark D Quote
Maybe it is for the 645D, but the 645D has been in the pipeline ( and the public eye) for a couple of years. I don't think they'd risk leaving any patent applications so late. I think this is for someting new.
Whether or not it's this camera, we'll have to wait and see I guess.
These are the US Patent Office applications. They become visible later than Japanese ones. No risk at all.

Rui

04-16-2009, 04:44 PM   #212
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
Re: Leaks.

A leak is a very bad idea if it stifles sales of existing lines. It's hurt other companies, including Osborne Computers in the 1980's. Cash flow slowed, inventory backed up, and sales of the new model didn't repair the damage.

This is more like an accident than a deliberate leak. Nothing here that really adds to what we know: a new camera is on the way, however quickly or slowly.

The anticipation can keep customers interested and engaged. For better than a dozen screens of comments so far.

But if we get excited enough about a leak to set aside our tax refund instead of buying a new 60-250, we have opened ourselves to the possibility that the money won't be around when the camera IS available. Something else comes up (tires or carpeting) and Pentax gets nothing.

I hope they're managing this carefully.

Well, I think from the talk, some of the uncertainty may have been more worrisome, particularly in these times, more than a little fodder for real speculation about the new model could be. (After all, people were kind of expecting a new announcement since the price drops on the K20d happened: hopefully this means they don't have a tremendous overstock of K20ds.

I feel a little better having an idea where they're going, though I'm expecting to stay with the K20d for quite a while: this could be a signal it's time to pick up a grip, ...may as well keep my eye out.
04-16-2009, 04:48 PM   #213
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If the viewfinder is bigger then I'd bet on 1.0x magnification before any fancy stuff like an E.L. display in the viewfinder.

I think its best not to draw too many conclusions from these pictures because they don't really tell us very much. All we can really say is:

1) The left shoulder is thinner
2) They've added something to the mode dial between green and user
3) The pentaprism bump is oddly shaped and seems to be bigger
4) The camera is very likely smaller than the K20D
5) It appears to have a flash-sync socket
6) The buttons are arranged differently on the back of the camera
04-16-2009, 05:02 PM   #214
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
If the viewfinder is bigger then I'd bet on 1.0x magnification before any fancy stuff like an E.L. display in the viewfinder.

I think its best not to draw too many conclusions from these pictures because they don't really tell us very much. All we can really say is:

1) The left shoulder is thinner
2) They've added something to the mode dial between green and user
3) The pentaprism bump is oddly shaped and seems to be bigger
4) The camera is very likely smaller than the K20D
5) It appears to have a flash-sync socket
6) The buttons are arranged differently on the back of the camera

In addition there is a push button in the middle of the Mode Dial.

Rui

04-16-2009, 06:04 PM   #215

Here's hoping it has a non-crippled mount.
04-16-2009, 06:29 PM   #216

The push button in the middle of the Mode Dial would be a nice touch if it unlocked the dial.
My hopes are for a better viewfinder. A swiveling lcd woudn't go well with the weather sealing and just like a EVF it is not needed IMO
04-16-2009, 06:34 PM   #217
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Actually to me, it looks like an oversized K-M. The top and front look similar and the flash slope has similar curves. Of course, the K-M is missing details of the mystery camera.............

Nah, i'm just seeing things.

Last edited by chalion; 04-16-2009 at 06:43 PM.
04-16-2009, 07:17 PM   #218
Veteran Member

Wow, only one evening and so many replies pop up! Personally, I like that I'm seeing the old-style strap lugs (unless it's actually a spoon propped up against it or something). If it means that we'll be seeing some of the LX's design sensibilities on this new body, I'm stoked. And the mode dial having another new mode also looks promising. Maybe Samsung shoehorned their video know-how in there.

I hope the redesigned prism hump suggests a larger viewfinder. While the K20D's viewfinder is a huge upgrade over the K200D, it doesn't hurt to have a larger and brighter one.

I agree with others in thinking that the shorter mirror return suggested in the patent filing (if the technology does indeed get worked in this upcoming camera) might mean higher FPS. Coupled with improvements in the AF, and at least this new camera won't get frowned on as being good only for static subjects.

I'm looking forward to this new camera. Not that I feel the itch to upgrade after just acquiring the K20D just yet, but at least the option is there.

04-16-2009, 07:33 PM   #219
Veteran Member

If only Microsoft would test their products with the same level of scrutiny I see in this thread!
04-16-2009, 08:31 PM   #220
Veteran Member

Nostalgia

As a long-time Mac user and a relatively new member of the Pentax posse, this thread is bringing back fond (?) memories of the hysteria that Mac users went through when Apple's long-term survival was in doubt. There are of course any number of Mac rumour sites on the web, but they're not as active as they used to be, mainly because people have calmed down a little.

So, it seems that I've chosen the right SLR brand. The passion, the hysteria, the frenzied speculation: it's all good.
04-16-2009, 09:27 PM   #221
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
its a.... toaster... made to look like a pentax... clearly explaining the boxy appearance
04-16-2009, 09:50 PM   #222
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by asw66 Quote
So, it seems that I've chosen the right SLR brand. The passion, the hysteria, the frenzied speculation: it's all good.
Amen, brother!
04-16-2009, 09:59 PM   #223
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by asw66 Quote
As a long-time Mac user and a relatively new member of the Pentax posse, this thread is bringing back fond (?) memories of the hysteria that Mac users went through when Apple's long-term survival was in doubt. There are of course any number of Mac rumour sites on the web, but they're not as active as they used to be, mainly because people have calmed down a little.

I was just thinking, the Hoya acquisition kinda reminds me of when Jobs came back to Apple. Hopefully they can follow the rest of the analogy.
04-16-2009, 10:18 PM   #224
ogl
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mark D Quote
One of the guys on the Pentaxusers site found this.....
Pentax Patented a new Pentaprism last year and this housing seems to match the shape. Lower and deeper.

PATENT

Certainly looks interesting.
We can see at the photos of new camera (?) the same - prizm, VF and flash - lower and deeper (longer).
04-16-2009, 11:50 PM   #225
Pentaxian

It appears that the pictures have been removed from that blog, and that he's making fun out of us