Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2009, 03:16 AM   #2446
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Prognathous Quote
Yes, if Pentax offers a sealed 18-55 + 55-200 kit for $500, then they are going to sell a boatload to existing users.

I wouldn't be surprised if sealing these lenses would cost Pentax less than it costs Canon and Nikon to put AF and IS motors in their kit lenses. In-body mechanisms really make so much more sense, at least for small lenses.
good point

The biggest surprise of the K10D was the phenomenal value for money. It had most D200 features (including the seals) + some D2X-level features (multiple cross-type AF sensors) for $1000 MSRP. I couldn't believe it when I saw it, but it was true. Too bad I was (and still am) heavily invested in A-mount to justify a switch.
Yup, a surprising package indeed.

I’m sorry, what is A-mount system ? is it the Sony system, or previous Canon mount ?

QuoteOriginally posted by dhalbrook Quote
I've certainly shot with my K10D in the rain more than once, and it's been a non-issue.

There are certain places (such as Olympic Nat'l Park's Hoh Rain Forest) where if you're not shooting in the rain at some point, you're just not shooting
Good one

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I don't think it's genuine, even if several items are probably true. This, assuming the translation is accurate.
I mean, 8fps? A Pentax? No chance in h*ll!
It could be 5 fps at 14 MP; and 8 fps at 4 (/maybe 6) MP.

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
But it would not longer be a gimmick if it can shoot at 6M pixel resolution together with a working Live View during the shooting (very possible as it has movie mode). I certainly don't mind a 6M 8fps in mirror up mode as long as the Live View works well. Whether the contrast AF can keep up would be the biggest question.
Good point

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Check this thread out to see what can happen in the rain.
Wild !

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
K-7 is Pentax's mixed version of D2X/D200/E3 with video, with strongest weather resist, smallest and lightest semi-pro APS-C.
That would be superb

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
Do you guys know what is the lightest FF DSLRs ever made on this Planet? Well, they are the Canon 5D and 5D MkII - 810g without battery and card and it does not have a built-in flash!

But the K10/K20D are not much lighter and smaller but *just*!

So, as I have been saying since the K10D, Pentax should make smaller and lighter bodies, so that they could compete. And, it's the good old tradition and market differentiator to make small SLRs.

I have been asking for years. And, most importantly, they finally have implemented and made a new body - the K-7.

The Eos 5D Mark II weighs 920 grams (2.02 pounds) with battery and card.
Not having a built-in flash may save some weight, but seems many (even Pro’s) prefer to have ability to use a built in flash.

The A900 weighs 939 grams (2.07 pounds) with a battery and CF card. So lighter than the Nikon D700 and just a little heavier than the Canon 5D.

The K10 was very competitive, and made Pentax capture 10 % of major markets. And for big lenses, it has a good size. And they do not even have to be as big as the one attached to the below.
(Besides it is also fully gasketed, which the Eos 5D is not).

Attached Images

05-13-2009, 03:29 AM   #2447

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonson PL Quote
I’m sorry, what is A-mount system ? is it the Sony system, or previous Canon mount ?
It's the mount Minolta launched in 1985, with the release of the Maxxum 7000. It is is now used by Sony.

Prog.
05-13-2009, 03:45 AM   #2448

good point

The Eos 5D Mark II weighs 920 grams (2.02 pounds) with battery and card.
Not having a built-in flash may save some weight, but seems many (even Pro’s) prefer to have ability to use a built in flash.

The A900 weighs 939 grams (2.07 pounds) with a battery and CF card. So lighter than the Nikon D700 and just a little heavier than the Canon 5D.

The K10 was very competitive, and made Pentax capture 10 % of major markets. And for big lenses, it has a good size. And they do not even have to be as big as the one attached to the below.
(Besides it is also fully gasketed, which the Eos 5D is not).
Is that a TC on your camera?
05-13-2009, 03:50 AM   #2449
Veteran Member

@ OGL

Is SOUL the replacement of PRIME Engine?

05-13-2009, 03:54 AM   #2450

personally i would prefer video with higher fps than higher resolution.

720p 30fps
vga 120fps

if they could come up with 720p 120fps it would be great...just my opinion
05-13-2009, 04:01 AM   #2451
Veteran Member

It's the mount Minolta launched in 1985, with the release of the Maxxum 7000. It is is now used by Sony.
Thanks

QuoteOriginally posted by Erasmo Quote
Is that a TC on your camera?
That is not my set-up, but a Pro wildlife shooter from this forum, Marc Langille. But yes, he uses the FA* 300/2.8 with a TC.

QuoteOriginally posted by Lore Quote
right... the 60D "Rumors" as they stand have always maintained that it will include weather sealing.

Canon 60D Specs:

* 15.1mp (apparently it will be the same sensor with some internal upgrades)
* DIGIC V (DIGIC IV a stopover to a big advancement in processing)
* New 13 Point AF
* 1080p Movie Mode
* 8fps
* 3″ VGA LCD
* 98% VF
* New Battery
* Weathersealing
* Ergonomic Upgrades
* 1x Compact Flash and 1x Secure Digital Slots

Now which will be better is the question I ask myself at this point. Pentax which has been weather sealing 'mid range' cameras for some time, quite effectively, or will Canon do a great job... however... at that point it will come down to the 2 outspec'ing eachother... ( for me )

I doubt the D60 is gonna be fully sealed, it will be like the Eos 5D Mark II :
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-talk/49674-fate-one-5d-mkii.html#post474426

QuoteOriginally posted by Lore Quote
there is also talk that the 60D would have an articulating LCD... HOW could a weather sealed camera have an Articulating screen? Canon Rumors Canon 60D
Beats me... so 'maybe' you're right... & that feature is only set on the $2000+ cameras w/ Canon.... who knows... RUMORS RUMORS...
Both the Olympus E3 and the E30 have articulating screen, and they are both fully gasketed. (At least the E3)

But I don't know if they can tilt and swivel ? (In a way, so you can compose looking at the screen from the back of the camera; but still holding it above or below you). Like maybe the new Nikon D5000 :

Maybe you have to watch it from a side (at an angle), with Olympus :

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
I wish Pentax didn't have to go the video route. It's just so gimmicky, and they don't even have a good working version on DSLRs.
As video doesn’t interest me in a DSLR, I find it a gimmick as well. But it will be an also-ran; look how fast Canon came out with the D50, when everybody were coming out with higher MP cameras. (And the sensor in the D50 wasn’t even that well received, maybe they rushed it too much).
I think, as has been mentioned, most DSLR’s in the future will have video as well.
It may be that the one in Eos 5DII isn’t that impressive. But me, and most others, will not know. And we will just note that it does video.

Last edited by Jonson PL; 05-13-2009 at 05:18 AM.
05-13-2009, 04:09 AM   #2452
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Soul =
super original ultra light

05-13-2009, 04:17 AM   #2453
Veteran Member

Soul =
super original ultra light
WOW!! Very japanese. Reminds me of the old Japanese Anime VOLTES 5. They called there weapon "Ultra Electro Magnetic TOP"
05-13-2009, 04:17 AM   #2454
Veteran Member

Thank

I doubt the D60 is gonna be fully sealed, it will be like the Eos 5D Mark II :
only truly sealed more of less affordable cameras are made by Oly and Pentax
05-13-2009, 04:53 AM   #2455

QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
only truly sealed more of less affordable cameras are made by Oly and Pentax
The K200D and K20D are affordable, the E-3 less so. Oly however makes 12 sealed lenses, of which two (the 14-54/2.8-3.5 and the 50/2.0 Macro) are less expensive than Pentax least expensive sealed lens - the 16-50/2.8.

With the release of the forthcoming 18-55 WR, Pentax is going to offer a truly affordable sealed kit, assuming that the K20D will still be available.

Prog.
05-13-2009, 05:05 AM   #2456
Pentaxian

Remember the "Ivyjopy" guy who leaked the first photos of the K-7 on his blog? He's removed all of them, of course, but let's browse to his Windows Live Space:

YJP的幸福数码生活 - Windows Live

Now scroll down to his kid's photos which I believe have been shot with the SMC Pentax-DA* 55/1.4 SDM, the shots that appear wide open. I think these have been shot with the K-7 too. Why? Because those photos are missing the camera & lens used in the copyright notice (as he usually does) but also the bokeh shows something special that only the K-7 will deliver.
05-13-2009, 05:13 AM   #2457

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Remember the "Ivyjopy" guy who leaked the first photos of the K-7 on his blog? He's removed all of them, of course, but let's browse to his Windows Live Space:

YJP的幸福数码生活 - Windows Live

Now scroll down to his kid's photos which I believe have been shot with the SMC Pentax-DA* 55/1.4 SDM, the shots that appear wide open. I think these have been shot with the K-7 too. Why? Because those photos are missing the camera & lens used in the copyright notice (as he usually does) but also the bokeh shows something special that only the K-7 will deliver.
Well if you are talking about 1/8000 shutter, you can always cheat with netral density filter. BTW I don't want to out him too much, but I read a post in xitek.com, that he does work for Pentax China. He used to work for PCHOME, which is like a Chinese version of CNet.
05-13-2009, 05:16 AM   #2458
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by whatever7 Quote
Well if you are talking about 1/8000 shutter, you can always cheat with netral density filter. BTW I don't want to out him too much, but I read a post in xitek.com, that he does work for Pentax China. He used to work for PCHOME, which is like a Chinese version of CNet.
I understand, but what I'm referring to has nothing to do about the shutter.
05-13-2009, 05:25 AM   #2459
Inactive Account

Any GOOD and SPECIAL thing which made by human hands has SOUL.
For me, Sony cameras are soulless, cold-hearted. Figuratively.

Pentax is different.
K-7 is camera which I want to carry all the time...It could become the part of my hands.

About video - it's good feature for DLSR,
but K-7 is photo camera, first of all.
Who very like video - buy video camera.

As for me, video of K-7 is just bonus. To use sometimes.
nicely said, ogl.
yes, video is just a bonus.
05-13-2009, 05:52 AM   #2460
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
I understand, but what I'm referring to has nothing to do about the shutter.
Mmm I can't ee what you're refering to, really.