Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2009, 05:54 AM   #2656

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
Small is is one thing, smaller is worse. Pentax was already small, and now they're getting smaller. Can't help it you all need a girly sized camera.
All I'm saying is, you have registered your displeasure with the new camera, and the forum has heard you, loud and clear. It is perhaps time to turn the thread back over to the people who are still interested in it.

05-14-2009, 06:01 AM   #2657
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
So is the body material still unknown?
No; this has been leaked from the German Digitalfotonetz.de forum. The body will have a stainless-steel chassis and a magnesium-steel outside.
05-14-2009, 06:03 AM   #2658
Veteran Member

Then shoot Olympus. Or any one of the smaller bodies they already have. Sounds ridiculous doesn't it? Yet you were so quick to tell others to look elsewhere, but thad advice doesn't seem to be good enough for yourself.
Why would I need to look elsewhere? Pentax does what I want them to -- they make small cameras. I already said if they changed their direction regarding that I would (reluctantly, because of the excellent Pentax lenses and lens compatibility) go Olympus. Right now, I don't have to.

And what changed? Maybe someone made a bigger camera and people said, "hey that's kinda nice"?
This is how I think it works: manual SLRs used to be pretty big (K1000, KX etc.) then they got smaller as the technology matured (ME, MX). Autofocus SLRs came, and they were at first big and clumsy (SFX) and then got smaller as the technology matured (*ist, ZX-M, ZX-5n). Right now we're seeing digital SLR cameras mature. Technology almost always gravitates towards putting things in a smaller and smaller package.

The fact that there's more than two dials, a shutter button, and lever on modern cameras?
This is a good point, but it is not reason enough to stop making things smaller. Maybe there needs to be a better way of controlling all that stuff instead (touch screen, etc.) It's like what is happening with video games or mobile phones -- they got too big, too bulky, with too many buttons, so things like the Wii and iPhone came out and revolutionized the way people interact with those devices. If you think in 2009 you can put out a big black techno-monster of a camera with buttons all over the place and survive, you're mistaken. It is a small minority of people that want or need huge cameras.

Last edited by Erik; 05-14-2009 at 06:13 AM.
05-14-2009, 06:03 AM   #2659
Veteran Member

Sigh...

All this moaning that a camera that most people here have not even seen, let alone held, is too small for some small fraction of the population is getting really tiresome.

Can't we go back to speculating about the surprise features? Please?

05-14-2009, 06:05 AM   #2660
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by asw66 Quote
All this moaning that a camera that most people here have not even seen, let alone held, is too small for some small fraction of the population is getting really tiresome.

I think we need a new leak to divert the attention.

Wim
05-14-2009, 06:15 AM   #2661

Guys, just add jackass into your ignore list, it's easier than making sense out of his argument.
05-14-2009, 06:16 AM   #2662
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

I have large hands myself (I'm 6'5"), but I've never understood why people like big cameras, I always liked the really small cameras (MX, ME, LX). OK, I never use large heavy lenses, but then, if I were to buy a large lens, I might buy a grip as well.

To hold the camera steady, you need both hands, and then the size of the grip (or having a grip at all) isn't that important, holding the left hand properly, having your arms in the right position, and with really long shutter times, holding your breath, is much more important than how your right hand grips the camera.
05-14-2009, 06:26 AM   #2663
MCR

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
So is the body material still unknown?
Beta-testers said, that's non-plastic body.... ("cold in touch")

05-14-2009, 06:28 AM   #2664
Veteran Member

Not quite "all this moaning". Two comments made about it, that's it. Specifically "God I hope it's not that small" and "3 things that made the previous body great are now gone". Everything beyond that were in response to no less than 6 people bitching at for me making those two comments and nothing more.
05-14-2009, 06:29 AM   #2665

+1

I'm also 6'5" and LOVE the size of the MX( entire M range of film bodies!)

Small is good! You can have small and still have it easy and comfortable to hold for big hands. Pentax has always excelled at that in my view. I don't expect this time to be any different.
You can always stick a grip on it. If your hands are not too big to push the buttons then it won't be a problem.... probably......
05-14-2009, 06:29 AM   #2666
rm2

QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
Wonderful. I really hope you're right ogl, it could make all this inflated hype worth it.

Pentax already has me with me with the K-7. I want it to get others too though, people outside of Pentax.
I know the feeling, but that kind of thinking is a slippery road to disappointment. Over the years I have seen Pentax offer products with superior features that that of its competitors. But did that turn into a landslide of users from other camera brands. No. Why, well because most people will not switch camera brands in their life time, even if the competition offers a better product. The lens investment is the reason. Yes, there are always a few converts, but those are the exceptions.

I am very pleased with the rumored specs of the K-7. Flash sink is a huge feature. I love the small size of the camera and the large size of the view finder (like my good old *istDs). I don't feel comfortable pulling out a huge intimidating monster camera in public. Video sounds interesting, I am sure it will be handy, but I dread thinking about all the hard drive space that we are going to need for it.

Pentax has a lot to offer for new DSLR buyers. Don't worry about it! Yes, I know that you want Pentax to thrive so that you can continue to enjoy their products, but leave that to Pentax marketing. If you want to be a part of that, get the camera, learn to use it well, and enjoy it by taking awesome pictures that you can then post for the whole world to see.
05-14-2009, 06:35 AM   #2667
Veteran Member

You contradict yourself there though. The iPhone is far larger than any cell phone available only several years ago. After a point, I could never stand how small they were getting and always went with the largest one I could get. I don't upgrade often, but now everyone makes fun of how small my phone is, when just two years ago they made fun of it being so big. Why? Because some marketing plans used to tell them that smaller is better. Now they tell them they need something bigger so they can use all the crap they want people to use.
05-14-2009, 06:36 AM   #2668
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
No; this has been leaked from the German Digitalfotonetz.de forum. The body will have a stainless-steel chassis and a magnesium-steel outside.
Oh Im a sucker for metal, this is a large plus in my checklist. (I sure hope its true.)
05-14-2009, 06:36 AM   #2669
Veteran Member

on marketing and small cameras

QuoteOriginally posted by Light_Horseman Quote
Some of the leaked photos have surely come from Pentax and they've used viral marketing quite effectively, but the specs are not from Pentax. Ned Bunnel has not given away anything tangible and has just -effectively- added to the speculation.
I doubt any leaks have come from Pentax; they have come from those under NDA breaking their agreement. Teaser ads are standard and cannot be considered viral advertising. All the hype has been built by us, the Pentax fan base. Blaming Pentax for this, as some have, is silly. If you don't like it, why follow a rumours thread?

QuoteOriginally posted by lol101 Quote
Some like small cameras, and some don't... ergo the one who like small cameras will rave about it and the one that don't... won't!
Exactly. Personally I would prefer a smaller camera. My K100DS is lighter, smaller and easier to carry than my K20D and I would love one smaller and lighter again. It would fit in bags the K20D will not fit in and be that much easier to transport. I like having my camera with me all the time, every day.

Can't help it you all need a girly sized camera.
When in doubt, retreat to sexism. Oh, and then pretend it's all in good fun. How lame.
05-14-2009, 06:40 AM   #2670
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
When in doubt, retreat to sexism. Oh, and then pretend it's all in good fun. How lame.
Seriously, it was in fun. At no point in time did I attack anybody for holding the view they did, just defended the right to have mine without being told to look elsewhere.