Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2009, 12:36 AM   #3466
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
If that's the case they should go ahead and issue a PR with accurate specs or at least something along the lines of "please ignore the incorrect rumored specs until the 20th". If they don't people are just going to assume Ricehigh is correct. Not even RH is so bored/crazy that he would waste time (and what little is left of his reputation) making up false specs is he?
Why would Pentax bother doing that? It's only two days away, and people are already biased for or against Pentax either way. The sensible people wait until official specs are out. Sure, RH's specs may be spot-on in the end, but a bit of sensibility and patience wouldn't hurt.

You're free to whine and predict another round of gloom and doom once the specs are already out and official. To express disappointment before then, though, is pretty curious, especially when people using other brands are actually more enthusiastic about this than Pentax users.

05-19-2009, 01:34 AM   #3467
Inactive Account

Need to hold one

I really hope this thing isn't too small for me.. K10D with grip is a perfect fit for me but I'm a 6'6" neanderthal with spades for hands, looks a bit on the small side!
05-19-2009, 01:43 AM   #3468
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II:
If they don't people are just going to assume Ricehigh is correct.
05-19-2009, 01:43 AM   #3469

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MrMuz Quote
I really hope this thing isn't too small for me.. K10D with grip is a perfect fit for me but I'm a 6'6" neanderthal with spades for hands, looks a bit on the small side!
I do not think it is that small but I intend to get the grip anyway for the extra batteries and better handling. I do not have large hands but even on the K10D/K20D, my little finger has some trouble staying on the camera w/o grip.

05-19-2009, 01:47 AM   #3470
Inactive Account

I hope you're right. Chances of my local shop having one for me to try is non existent though. It does look quite deep so maybe that will help out with the grip, I just hope the battery grip isn't an astronomical amount. The K10 grip leapt up in price by 70% recently.. was a real steal before then.
05-19-2009, 03:33 AM   #3471
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Can anyone explain "Yingwu feeling"?
It has Soul.
05-19-2009, 03:55 AM   #3472
Veteran Member

K-7 viewfinder

Some have become very excited about the possibilty that the K-7 may sport an EVF overlay.

But according to this schema drawing of the VF of the K-7, leaked on this forum earlier today, the K-7 just has an ordinary VF like the K20D. Complete with LCD status display and ordinary focussing ground plate at the bottom of the prism, an exposure meter sensor at the rear of the prism and an AF point overlay at the front of the prism.

So, there is nothing to be seen in all the emerging and spreading K-7 viewfinder threads ...
05-19-2009, 04:21 AM   #3473
Pentaxian

Focusing Screen

QuoteQuote:
Focusing Screen: New Natural-Bright-Matte III Focusing Screen, Improved Manual Focusing Accuracy.
Hmm... makes me wonder what it could be like? Perhaps it will be closer to my KatzEye with Optibrite treatment. I would really like that, since that would mean I no longer have to compensate exposure (+1 stop) for the KatzEye. Not that having to compensate has really bothered me at any moment...

More of a worry is the 100% coverage... Now with the 95% coverage the KatzEye sits nicely. But I hope it's large enough to cover the 100% VF image...

Guess no one can help me, and I don't expect even the press release tomorrow will help me much. All I can hope for is one of the German elect testing the K-7 to be able to shed any light. Chances are small they will have a KatzEye to test of course. Unless Pentax.de received my candidacy and selects me of course (not really counting on that obviously)... ;-)

Wim

05-19-2009, 04:58 AM   #3474
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
Unless Pentax.de received my candidacy and selects me of course (not really counting on that obviously)... ;-)

Wim
I will let you know.... You may be a better photographer than me but Pentax will receive plety of applications of good photographers. But I doubt many of them will have huge lawnmowers...
But personally I think I'd have had a better chance if this "try out`would be with Carnaval.
05-19-2009, 05:36 AM   #3475
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
I will let you know.... You may be a better photographer than me but Pentax will receive plety of applications of good photographers. But I doubt many of them will have huge lawnmowers...
But personally I think I'd have had a better chance if this "try out`would be with Carnaval.
I'll be just as happy if it is you who get one Jan! Provided I will be welcome for a little visit of course...

Wim

Last edited by Ishpuini; 05-19-2009 at 05:44 AM.
05-19-2009, 06:02 AM   #3476
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Yohan Pamudji Quote
The Canon 1D (original, not mark II, IIN, or III) did 1/500. It had a CCD. Since then all Canon DSLRs have been CMOS, and none have gone faster than 1/250.

Kodak patent is interesting, but is from 2003. I wonder how applicable it is with today's high-res cameras? So if not in theory then at least de facto: CMOS means lower flash sync speed.
I need to find verification of this but the 1/500th was not purely mechanical but yes it was a CCD:
The 1D used an electronic shutter, so you can't compare that directly with what can be achieved with conventional shutters - incidentally, the 40D uses an electronic first curtain in Live View unless you tell it not to. Flash synchronisation at 1/250 on FF has been around for a long while, and it's a bit disappointing that there seems to have been no further progress - indeed, the 5D synchronises at 1/200 rather than 1/250. To me, the value of synchronisation at a high shutter speed is the extra flexibility it gives to balance flash and daylight, to which the high-speed (strobe) mode of the flash is not an answer...............
I'm rather late to the party, but with regards to the 40D's mechanical and electronic curtains - Canon's 40D whitepaper discusses this (though not in great detail).

"Note that with CMOS, it is difficult to have an electronic 2nd-curtain shutter. Therefore, only the 1st-curtain shutter is electronic."

40D is CMOS but it's err.. electronic shutter isn't helping much.
http://photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00MsSk
Sorry for the hearsay but no time right now...

Last edited by jeffkrol; 05-19-2009 at 07:06 AM.
05-19-2009, 06:12 AM   #3477
emr

QuoteOriginally posted by beaumont Quote
Currently "822 Viewing" the News and Rumours thread.
I wonder if Adam is kicking himself right now for not having ads on the forums.

EDIT: removed "the", even though Adam's DA man

Last edited by emr; 05-19-2009 at 07:03 AM.
05-19-2009, 06:52 AM   #3478
Veteran Member

Compensation

QuoteOriginally posted by mutedphotos Quote
Bit of a Freudian slip, eh?

I guess if impotence is the issue, the bigger and longer FA77 is what you need
Real men use pancake lenses, to compensate for being over-endowed in other areas. Hence the special pride of being a Pentaxian.
05-19-2009, 06:56 AM   #3479
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
I wonder if the Adam is kicking himself right now for not having ads on the forums.

Ha! yeah--and this is basically one big long ad for the K-7 and Pentax is getting it for free!
05-19-2009, 07:03 AM   #3480
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
You're free to whine and predict another round of gloom and doom once the specs are already out and official. To express disappointment before then, though, is pretty curious, especially when people using other brands are actually more enthusiastic about this than Pentax users.
I'm not going to predict doom and gloom for Pentax; in-fact I think the K7 is going to be a big success for them. The market needs a small magnesium bodied camera. It's basically a D300 + video in a smaller package with SR built in. Who wouldn't want that? Who needs anything more?

It's just according to the unofficial specs and first hands on report I'm a bit let down after all the hype surrounding the view finder. Exactly how many VF threads and discussions have gone on ever since Pentax released a silhouette photo of the prism implying something special inside? If the VF is indeed nothing but 100% and .92X then big freaking deal (the D300 has had a better VF for almost a year and a half now). If that is the case (which I believe or the hand's on report would have surely mentioned it) I'm pissed off that Pentax chose to highlight the prism as the first teaser photo. That shows gross incompetence on the part of their marketing department. They had to know a photo like that would set off tons of rumors.

The bottom line is I was hoping for something that would make me forget all about lovely FF VF's, and .92x isn't going to do that. But as far as normal people (meaning those 99.9% of photographers that haven't been glued to the News and Rumors section of this forum for the past month); I'm sure they will be excited as hell over the K7.