AND ......... .......

Predictive Autofocus
I want to jiggy with it.

05-20-2009, 04:02 AM   #3662
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kevinschoenmakers Quote
How does this compare to the competitors?
Video stream - 9 Mb/s (K-7) + AV
Video stream - 4.8 Mb/s (Canon 5 MK II) + NO aperture control
05-20-2009, 04:08 AM   #3663
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That's great. I'll probably never buy a K-7, but it's good to see they have some serious selling points now.

Especially the K200D+18-55WR is going to do very well, I think.
05-20-2009, 04:11 AM   #3664
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
AND ......... .......

Predictive Autofocus
Don't mean to burst the bubble, but the K20D is also listed as having Prädiktionsautofokus on the spec sheet on the German Pentax website.
QuoteQuote:
Eine Besonderheit ist der Prädiktionsautofokus. Dieser berechnet die richtige Fokussierung für bewegte Motive voraus.
Für diese PENTAX Funktion wird ein spezielles Fokusverfahren angewendet. Bei Druck auf den Auslöser wird die Entfernungsmessung vorgenommen. Bevor ausgelöst wird, gibt es eine 2. Messung. Sollte sich die Distanz zum Motiv innerhalb dieser beiden Messungen verändert haben, nimmt die Kamera eine 3. Messung vor und errechnet aus den 3 Werten die Entfernung zum Motiv im Moment der Auslösung. So kann es passieren, dass die bereits eingestellte Schärfe noch mal kurz vor der Aufnahme korrigiert wird.
The specs don't necessarily point at any novelty in this respect for the K-7 compared to the K20D...

Wim

05-20-2009, 04:15 AM   #3665

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Do you know the file format? avchd, mjpeg, h264 ?
05-20-2009, 04:16 AM   #3666

QuoteOriginally posted by Robert S Donovan Quote
Does anybody else lament the loss of the chrome shutter release button? Nothing better than handing the camera to someone unfamiliar and saying "just push the silver button"...
It is black on the K20D as well.
05-20-2009, 04:32 AM   #3667
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Indeed; Dubai was chosen as a location because there's lots of sand and dust. The press was even sent to the desert in 4x4's to play with the new K20D. I'm sure they're going to do the same with the K-7, but now with more emphasis on the water protection. I surely do hope it rains and stoms really hard in Norway
There is one city in Norway , where the joke goes that you never see it, without rain, etc.
A foreigner comes to the city and is surprised by the weather. He asks a small boy "Does it always rain like this ?"
And the boy answers "I don't know. I'm only 13".

Pentax weathersealing makes good sense here in northern Europe. So could be the reason for choosing Norway this time. In spring and fall, I often just throw my rain clothes in the bag, before biking to work or school. You never know what the day might bring. And each day, you check the weather forecast.

There is a song, which in translation goes : “Danish summer how I love you, though you’ve so often let me down”

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Yes I know what you try to do, no objection. Thought you were objecting against the validity of my point. Sorry.

According to KMP which is an extremely reliable source, ist-D is SAFOX VIII and K20D is SAFOX VIII.
Seems clear to me. Well maybe not that much. Even if the base system is the same, number of AF points differs (you know that), software can differs (algorithms...), but motor strength as well.

Example, Z1 is known to be the fastest Pentax AF produced until now. But only one narrow AF point. So earlier AF systems can be faster, less complex but beter motor.
Good points

QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
Z-1p is faster than Z-1, thank's to reworked autofocus processing and faster AF processing unit, but both still has the SAFOX II...
Thanks, I would be very happy to get a camera, living up to my Z-1P. Seems many do not quite feel that the DSLRs are up to what the film SLRs were showing us

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
I'd say wait and see if they managed to improve the ergonomy. As the K-m showed us you can do more with less buttons.
As Pentax has always managed well regarding ergonomics, I don't think this will be a problem either. I do expect to buy the grip though. But I'm sure I can use it without also.

I think Falconeye stated, how threads could be read, with more posts on each page. Anybody know how to make that setting ? so you don't have to press forward all the time. (Guess I'm not the most technical, when it comes to forum features :ugh

This thread has really shown that we Pentaxians are hungry for higher end model, I'm really looking forward to this one. Sounds promising

05-20-2009, 04:34 AM   #3668
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by NunoBarbosa Quote
Do you know the file format? avchd, mjpeg, h264 ?
AVI - format
05-20-2009, 04:35 AM   #3669
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Steelski Quote
I want to jiggy with it.
Predictive Autofocus? Is there in K-7?
05-20-2009, 04:37 AM   #3670
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
the K20D is also listed as having Prädiktionsautofokus
Wim, I am grateful that you compared. Well spotted.

So, Predictive Autofocus isn't new and I changed my earlier post a bit.
05-20-2009, 04:41 AM   #3671

AVI - format
AVI is a container, not a video format (codec).
05-20-2009, 04:46 AM   #3672
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Enc0der Quote
AVI is a container, not a video format (codec).
Motion JPEG
05-20-2009, 04:46 AM   #3673
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Wim, I am grateful that you compared. Well spotted.

So, Predictive Autofocus isn't new and I changed my earlier post a bit.
You're welcome! But, who knows, perhaps it will work better in the K-7? To be honest I never really tried it with my K20D so I cannot judge its current implementation...

Wim
05-20-2009, 04:46 AM   #3674

The 77 Segment metering system

05-20-2009, 04:47 AM   #3675
Veteran Member

AVI - format
ogl, I think, 5Dmk2 has more like 4.8 MByte/s (38.4 Mb/s), not 4.8 Mb/s.

The K-7, however, may have 9 Mb/s indeed (which would be just HD camcorder level). So, what exactly do you know? It is a bit (to say it friendly) confusing what you share with us.

Then, AVI is a (proprietary and normally avoided by companies not being called microsomething) container format. To say AVI means nothing more than saying video ...

Do you know anything about the codec being used?

EDIT ...
Ah, it is all clear now (cf. next post).

K-7 at 9 MByte/s will make the Pana GH1 redundant (**) and make GH1 fanboys buy Pentax instead.
(**) motion compression makes video on the GH1 look like crap!

I analyzed the figures with respect to video here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/603675-post290.html

Last edited by falconeye; 05-20-2009 at 05:39 AM.