Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2009, 08:01 AM   #4066
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2007
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 975
QuoteOriginally posted by sezme Quote
Space left over inside the grip is for your 'stash'. Not something they can advertise for obvious reasons.
sure they can, with a bit of imagination "convenient place to store your.. paper tissues, you always wanted to have a place to store your PAPER tissues, away from prying eyes". and we can figure out the rest :-P

05-25-2009, 08:38 AM   #4067
and
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2007
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,472
QuoteOriginally posted by Yohan Pamudji Quote
Wait, so not replacing the internal battery is considered a plus?
absolutely. for the canon dslrs one thing is you need to remove the battery door hatch to attatch the grip, so if you want to be able to remove the grip while on the road then you need to bring the battery door, which it would suck to loose. then once attatched that empty space where the body battery used to be is basically wasted, it could have been used to store a battery.
05-25-2009, 08:54 AM   #4068
Pentaxian
thibs's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,267
QuoteOriginally posted by Yohan Pamudji Quote
Wait, so not replacing the internal battery is considered a plus?
Of course it is. Other brands excepting very big cameras where you can put two batteries in the grip do replace the battery in the body by the battery in the grip.

Pentax way of doing things allows you to double energy capacity. If you don't want the bulk, choose either btery in the grip or in the body as you prefer (weight balace).

How can that be anything negative?
05-25-2009, 09:18 AM   #4069
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus




Join Date: May 2007
Location: Edmonton Alberta, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,648
QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
absolutely. for the canon dslrs one thing is you need to remove the battery door hatch to attatch the grip, so if you want to be able to remove the grip while on the road then you need to bring the battery door, which it would suck to loose. then once attatched that empty space where the body battery used to be is basically wasted, it could have been used to store a battery.

And, you're missing the point. This allows Canon to charge you (estimate) about $1.2 zillion for a replacement battery door. Just like all those lenses that are not shipped with supplied hoods or tripod rings that cost another $zillion or so. Btw, ever look at the cost of their batteries? If you can afford the grip, it will set you back $130+ for the second battery. yessh!

05-25-2009, 10:34 AM   #4070
and
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2007
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,472
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
And, you're missing the point. This allows Canon to charge you (estimate) about $1.2 zillion for a replacement battery door. Just like all those lenses that are not shipped with supplied hoods or tripod rings that cost another $zillion or so. Btw, ever look at the cost of their batteries? If you can afford the grip, it will set you back $130+ for the second battery. yessh!
one thing that is nice tho, is that you can put 2 batteries in the grip, now it would be cool for the k7 to have the option of 2 batteries in the grip and 1 in the body. then u could go on a long vacation and not bring the charger. and im sure shooting movies must drain the battery. unlike some grips, well the d300 grip in particular, the k7 grip doesnt add any features beyond storing batteries, so they could have crammed 2 in there. or added something else of interest like wifi, gps, ethernet, second usable sd slot etc. so many things have gps now, like so many mobile phones, am sure there are lots of suppliers of gps chipsets and since they can fit in a phone they should be very small, so why not cram one of those in the grip and get some more positive reviews for that feature.
05-25-2009, 01:04 PM   #4071
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,940
QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
Pentax's SR already supports 'twist' and X and Y at the same time. It was marketed as such with the K20

Not Z axis though, as that would affect focus.

As I said way back in the thread, Pentax doing SR round the Z-axis is a myth.
(Well, up until the K-7 that is.)

Read about it here:
Pentax K-7 Digital Camera - Hands-On Preview - The Imaging Resource!
05-25-2009, 04:01 PM   #4072
Inactive Account




Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 184
QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
absolutely. for the canon dslrs one thing is you need to remove the battery door hatch to attatch the grip, so if you want to be able to remove the grip while on the road then you need to bring the battery door, which it would suck to loose. then once attatched that empty space where the body battery used to be is basically wasted, it could have been used to store a battery.
The battery door slots into a convenient holder inside the grip. That is, if you're not using it to store your "stash" So it's not exactly easy to lose the door.

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Of course it is. Other brands excepting very big cameras where you can put two batteries in the grip do replace the battery in the body by the battery in the grip.

Pentax way of doing things allows you to double energy capacity. If you don't want the bulk, choose either btery in the grip or in the body as you prefer (weight balace).

How can that be anything negative?
It's negative because with Canon (just as an example that I'm familiar with; don't know if anybody else does it this way) you put 2 batteries in the optional grip, so you run both batteries down all the way then replace both (or just 1 if you only need 1 at that point). With Pentax's method, you either run down the in-grip battery all the way then replace only that 1 battery (shorter time between battery changes) or you run both down and have to detach the grip to replace the one in the body (time consuming to do while on a shoot). I guess some could prefer the Pentax way, but with this implementation the grip is only for ergonomics and offers no improvement in battery life.

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
And, you're missing the point. This allows Canon to charge you (estimate) about $1.2 zillion for a replacement battery door. Just like all those lenses that are not shipped with supplied hoods or tripod rings that cost another $zillion or so. Btw, ever look at the cost of their batteries? If you can afford the grip, it will set you back $130+ for the second battery. yessh!
Let's not get too crazy here True about the "optional" lens hoods--what a sham. But losing the battery door is very much user error, not Canon's fault, as the grip has a secure slot to store the door in. You'd have to be pretty careless to lose the battery door, despite Canon's best efforts to help you not to.

$130 batteries? You must be talking about the price gouging on the 5DII batteries. Yeah, that was pretty horrendous. It's now down to a "mere" $100

QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
one thing that is nice tho, is that you can put 2 batteries in the grip, now it would be cool for the k7 to have the option of 2 batteries in the grip and 1 in the body. then u could go on a long vacation and not bring the charger. and im sure shooting movies must drain the battery. unlike some grips, well the d300 grip in particular, the k7 grip doesnt add any features beyond storing batteries, so they could have crammed 2 in there. or added something else of interest like wifi, gps, ethernet, second usable sd slot etc. so many things have gps now, like so many mobile phones, am sure there are lots of suppliers of gps chipsets and since they can fit in a phone they should be very small, so why not cram one of those in the grip and get some more positive reviews for that feature.
That "stash" area in the grip is a puzzler, isn't it? Like you said, would've been nice if they went with room for 2 batteries in there.
05-26-2009, 02:25 AM   #4073
Pentaxian
thibs's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,267
QuoteOriginally posted by Yohan Pamudji Quote
It's negative because with Canon (just as an example that I'm familiar with; don't know if anybody else does it this way) you put 2 batteries in the optional grip, so you run both batteries down all the way then replace both (or just 1 if you only need 1 at that point).
That's why I talked about smaller bodies, not bigger bodies (compared to Pentax bodies I mean, it is not negative per se) with larger grips can get two batteries in the grip. Pentax bodies aren't large enough to do so.

QuoteOriginally posted by Yohan Pamudji Quote
With Pentax's method, you either run down the in-grip battery all the way then replace only that 1 battery (shorter time between battery changes) or you run both down and have to detach the grip to replace the one in the body (time consuming to do while on a shoot). I guess some could prefer the Pentax way, but with this implementation the grip is only for ergonomics and offers no improvement in battery life.
Of course it does since the camera takes energy from two instead of only one from the body. Battery life is indeed two times the battery life without a grip.

However, it is a annoying if you need to change both batteries, totally agree. D300/D700 is exactly the same btw but D90 battery pack follows the system you described.

There's pros and cons to bith systems. The worse of all is battery grips taking only one battery and blocking internal battery at the same time.

05-26-2009, 03:54 AM   #4074
Senior Member
MMVIII's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: EU
Posts: 242
QuoteOriginally posted by Yohan Pamudji Quote
It's negative because with Canon (just as an example that I'm familiar with; don't know if anybody else does it this way) you put 2 batteries in the optional grip, so you run both batteries down all the way then replace both (or just 1 if you only need 1 at that point). With Pentax's method, you either run down the in-grip battery all the way then replace only that 1 battery (shorter time between battery changes) or you run both down and have to detach the grip to replace the one in the body (time consuming to do while on a shoot). I guess some could prefer the Pentax way, but with this implementation the grip is only for ergonomics and offers no improvement in battery life.
You are not joking, right ?
Getting 900 pictures with one battery, another 900 with the grip and quickly changing the in-grip battery for another 900 makes me wonder what shooting with 2700 pictures you seem to attend where you would not find the time to de-attach the grip for change of the body battery for another 900 pics.
I guess your sentence with no improvement in battery life with grip does seem a little bit...hm, strange
Nevertheless, one welcome feature with the grip for me as an outdoor guy is definitely the possibility to use different kind of batteries, what a cool solution.
05-26-2009, 04:42 AM   #4075
Veteran Member
rparmar's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,783
Though I would never use a grip, I think it's great the new one will take AA batteries. What a perfect solution!

I am less enthused about the change in proprietary battery type, since I don't think the incompatibility is worth a few percent more images. It's so easy to swap batteries. I can think of no situation where the down-time is detrimental, especially as one has to swap cards as often or more. (In any pro fast shot situation I'd always have a backup body ready.)

Keeping track of which battery goes with which body, and keeping a supply of both, is going to be a royal pain.
05-26-2009, 05:00 AM   #4076
and
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2007
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,472
I dont really mind the change in battery since the new one is a better battery. better to do that than to make more advanced bodies with video and live view and keep the same old battery.
05-26-2009, 05:54 AM   #4077
Junior Member
keltia666's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: France
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 36
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
I am less enthused about the change in proprietary battery type, since I don't think the incompatibility is worth a few percent more images. It's so easy to swap batteries. I can think of no situation where the down-time is detrimental, especially as one has to swap cards as often or more. (In any pro fast shot situation I'd always have a backup body ready.)
Yes, I'm a bit worried about the new battery as it was pretty easy to find replacements for the old one, being NP400 compatible... I welcome the larger capacity though. As for the grip itself, even with my moderately small hands, it is a must. It is so much easier to, well, have a better grip on the camera
05-26-2009, 05:58 AM   #4078
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus




Join Date: May 2007
Location: Edmonton Alberta, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,648
Personally I don't like any part that is detachable from the body if at all possible in regular use. Yeah yeah, I know the lenses are detachable.... So a detachable battery door is just asking for trouble at some point unless you always leave the grip on and never fiddle with the door.

The dual battery grip idea is fine but I've shot weddings where the K20D took over 1000 shots. The grip battery depletes first. Once it's drained, I just quickly swap the grip battery and always leave the camera battery full as a backup. It's never failed me. My grip never comes off the body.

I wish they had stuck with the same battery but whomever gets my K20D will get a few batteries thrown in on the deal. I'll keep my K10D and grip with 2 batteries. The K20D will have 3-4 batteries included. What sucks is I have a car charger as well and that won't be any good either. I always liked having the option of charging away from home.

I suspect the increased shot count is increased effeciency as much as the increase in MaH of the new battery. A bit of a PITA if you asked me.

QuoteQuote:
Let's not get too crazy here True about the "optional" lens hoods--what a sham. But losing the battery door is very much user error, not Canon's fault, as the grip has a secure slot to store the door in. You'd have to be pretty careless to lose the battery door, despite Canon's best efforts to help you not to.

$130 batteries? You must be talking about the price gouging on the 5DII batteries. Yeah, that was pretty horrendous. It's now down to a "mere" $100
Here the Canon battery for the 50D or 40D is $129.99 Canon BP-511A Battery Pack for EOS 5D, 50D, 40D, 30D, 20D, 10D, D. Rebel Digital Camera Batteries 9200A001 - Vistek Canada Product Detail That's just nuts. It's fine to charge a fair price for a lens or body, but to gouge this much on parts is just stealing from your customers.

A typical PLASTIC Canon hood is $75.00. Yes I said PLASTIC. I just ordered a Pentax OEM hood from B&H for my DA12-24mm and it cost me all of $15.00

$199 for a tripod ring for the L70-200 f4. And these lenses don't come with hoods when you buy them. Every Pentax lens does. It's a must have item.

I did some serious research the last month or so on adding a 5DMkII to my kit and at every turn the costs were making my eyes roll. This is an switch were the law of dimishing returns hits you straight in the face. Pentax shooters really have no idea how lucky they are. SR, WS, legacy glass, $$ etc...
05-26-2009, 08:07 AM   #4079
Inactive Account




Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 184
Peter, I didn't know about the prices in Canada. Here in the States it's not nearly that bad. BP-511A batteries go for $40-some, although I got my spares for $30-some. You don't have to tell me about those plastic hoods that Canon can't be bothered to throw in with some of their lenses though. The fact that they're "optional" and cost so much for plastic is ridiculous.

But back to the K-7 grip, a bit disappointing that it's not made of the same material as the K-7 itself, but it should be plenty durable. Regardless, not an issue for me personally as I don't plan to add any bulk to the tiny K-7
05-28-2009, 08:38 PM   #4080
Veteran Member
jct us101's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Rohnert Park, CA
Posts: 3,695
Oh come now, this thread is too far down the page.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
pentax news, pentax rumors
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
POST A PIC TO OWN THE PIC ABOVE! (Game) ll_coffee_lP Mini-Challenges, Games, and Photo Stories 788 08-01-2015 01:01 AM
Who out there would prefer a K30D? Ben Hunt Pentax DSLR Discussion 45 11-05-2010 06:48 AM
What would we want from the K30D? offertonhatter Pentax News and Rumors 102 04-22-2009 02:30 AM
So... is the K30D actually going to have autofocus? SupremeMoFo Pentax News and Rumors 88 01-03-2009 05:53 PM
Iso 1600 pic and a Butterfly Pic... Eastern Shore Charlie Post Your Photos! 5 07-06-2008 10:27 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:42 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top