Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2009, 03:28 PM   #406
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by melander Quote
Is this the flash?

I'm afraid you are right, but hope you are wrong. In any case, it shows that built-in-flash it not necessarily a good excuse for making an uggly protruding prism.

04-19-2009, 03:28 PM   #407
Forum Member

Is this picture ok for a comparison? I don't have a photo editor on this laptop so unable to do any image editing at the moment:

Taken on a fuji f31fd
Attached Images

04-19-2009, 03:44 PM   #408
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
[I]
Does not look like iso to me. I agree with ogl and others who think it is two square/rectangle like shapes where one is partly overlaping the other.
If that is the symbol and it's not ISO, then it would make sense for it to be an aspect ratio button. if the camera does offer different sensor aspect ratios it will be the first DSLR to do so and would justify such a prominent placement.

still think it's ISO though.
04-19-2009, 03:51 PM   #409
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by yeedub Quote
Do you guys think this will be a K200D replacement or a K20D replacement?

I hope its a K20D replacement with much better AF (SAVOX IX) and better ISO. I'd get it right away if it is.
What I understood, despite various versions of translations, that interview that was posted a while ago made it clear that it is neither a K20 or K200 replacement, but something else.

...and the faster AF on Pentax DSLR is right now in the K-m, so I don't think it would matter anyway for the AF speed if it is a K20 or K200 replecement. Whatever changed in the K-m will hopefully propagate upward. (Yeah, I know, people say it is only faster because it has less AF points, but then again, someone argued that it has the exact same AF point configuration as the *isDL, but works much faster...so I recon something else changed on software or processor level)

QuoteOriginally posted by mabelsound Quote
Or perhaps the green button is now obsolete, as the mount is no longer crippled.
That would certainly be retro!
I know, Pentax will probably not sell much cameras extra from de-crippling the mount...but it would be fun to see just for the frency it would create among entusiasts like on this forum! Some people would do anything for an un-crippled Pentax DSLR. It would increase the user value of all old K and M lenses all of a suddenly (and probably their ebay prices as well).

QuoteOriginally posted by RuiC Quote
Well I can see two new bodies here. One left of the K20D, the new xC ??? and the other between the K20D and K-M at right. This second body looks pretty much like the new K3D. The prism and mirror box is way larger that any of the others.

Rui

Don't want to rub your nose in this, others pointed out that it could be the perspective. But I understand that you (and someone who guessed on the X-70) were probably surpriced to see the disscontinued K200D in a line up for what looks like a yet not released broshure with at least one yet not released body...
...this made me think that you might be entirely wrong. The third body from the left could be a replacement for the K200D built on the same chassis ("K300D or K-x or whatever).

And sure, I think the new body to the left caries the name XC!

QuoteOriginally posted by Ivan Glisin Quote
It seems that we are looking at (left to right): K2D (K3D?), K20D, K200D, K2000.

Phew!!!!! Pentax should change naming of their cameras right away: I had to double check what I just typed to make sure I got all zeroes and Ds right!

Yes, it's not good to let the only difference between your models be zeros (even if other brands does this...that's actually another reason why Pentax shouldn't). So maybe:

XC, K20D, K-x, K-m

and when the K20D eventually is replaced by the K-2, we will be all ready for the digital M line. (I admit, now I'm going just too retro)

04-19-2009, 03:55 PM   #410

Not quite the correct aspect, it needs another 30 degrees. I have put both on the same image and resized them to match based on Hot shoe and shutter release button.

04-19-2009, 04:05 PM   #411

Yes, it's not good to let the only difference between your models be zeros (even if other brands does this...that's actually another reason why Pentax shouldn't). So maybe:

XC, K20D, K-x, K-m

and when the K20D eventually is replaced by the K-2, we will be all ready for the digital M line. (I admit, now I'm going just too retro)
[/I]
I'm inclined to disagree. For the untrained eye, the K20/K200/K2000 (the US doesn't use the K-m name) is an easy naming scheme to understand. Each extra zero denotes a step down in product grade from semi-pro, to enthusiast, to consumer.

Seemingly arbitrary names like Km, Kx, Xc, etc, only confuse the unknowing as to how each camera fits into the overall product line.

I think Pentax is making a mistake if they drop the K naming scheme. For most younger photographers or those who didn't shoot film Pentax cameras, the only Pentax they know is the K1000. That recognition can only help.
04-19-2009, 04:12 PM   #412
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
If that is the symbol and it's not ISO, then it would make sense for it to be an aspect ratio button. if the camera does offer different sensor aspect ratios it will be the first DSLR to do so and would justify such a prominent placement.

...but to me those rectangles/squares appear to have the same height...

In any case, what I wonder most of all right now is which is true at this very moment:

a) Pentax company security chief and his/her staff is working like maniacs to find out who the spy is and stop him before Hoya fire them...or they have already found him and are about to send him to test the weather proofing of the K-m on a 9 month cruise around the Antarctic with a Japanese whale-ship.

b) The secret marketting team at Pentax can't stop laughing when they monitor the effect of the fuzzy images they pretended to leak at well sceduled moments and how we go all crazy over this. Meanwhile, their boss tries to estimate the value of this marketting had they used ordinary marketting methods for tomorrows Monday morning briefing with the vice president.

Can't help being a little bit suspisious when the pictures we have seen posted on this thread were all posted by members who had 3 and 0 posts prior to this...planted news? (no offence intended if you both are in fact "real" members, actually, if it helps Pentax I'm all for it, and it is good entertainment for crazy old Pentaxians like me).
04-19-2009, 04:13 PM   #413
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Acliffalay Quote
Is this picture ok for a comparison?
I did a quick overlay adjusting rotation and size (trying to make both DA35 match as good as possible),

Looks like both cameras are about the same size. But the angle of the K20D shot wasn't really exact enough to verify (the new camera was shot from a somewhat steeper perspective, i.e., more from above).

Last edited by falconeye; 06-15-2011 at 05:28 AM.
04-19-2009, 04:18 PM   #414
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mutedphotos Quote
...For the untrained eye, the K20/K200/K2000 (the US doesn't use the K-m name) is an easy naming scheme to understand. Each extra zero denotes a step down in product grade from semi-pro, to enthusiast, to consumer...
Would it not have been easier for the untrained consumer if the cameras with most zeeros would have been the one that takes a bill with most zeeros to buy

That's it! Have to sleep a little bit before tomorrow (more than one hour past midnight here). Let's see what fuzzy image of which new angle that will "leak" tomorrow! The bottomplate?
04-19-2009, 04:31 PM   #415
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Acliffalay:
Is this picture ok for a comparison? I don't have a photo editor on this laptop so unable to do any image editing at the moment:

Taken on a fuji f31fd
Thank you! And thanks to Peacekeeper and Falconeye for the further comparisons. looks like the shoulders will be much less substantial making the bigger viewfinder stick out that much more. regrettably the depth looks to be the same as the K20 at best, even deeper at worst.
04-19-2009, 04:48 PM   #416

QuoteOriginally posted by ewalk Quote
Uh, so you can toggle between SD cards while one is being written to...? I'd kill to have dual card slots. There's nothing like that in the Pentax lineup right now.
I don't get it.
It will take me more time to move my finger the click that button, than actually wait for the image to be written....
04-19-2009, 04:54 PM   #417
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zav Quote
Not Hoya, CZ Vision

Maybe the 2nd button is Iso button like 645D?
This makes great sense. If Pentax is releasing the 645D in the coming months it would be a nice design idea to use a similar UI on the new APS-C DSLR and the 645D. I have nothing against the current OK-front dial operation to change ISO but many people have said they prefer a dedicated ISO button.

Peter
04-19-2009, 04:56 PM   #418
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
Thank you! And thanks to Peacekeeper and Falconeye for the further comparisons. looks like the shoulders will be much less substantial making the bigger viewfinder stick out that much more. regrettably the depth looks to be the same as the K20 at best, even deeper at worst.
I get the feeling that the camera will be a little smaller. The weird semicircle is probably the rear control wheel, which suggests a higher level than K200 or K2000
04-19-2009, 05:00 PM   #419
Veteran Member

Can't help being a little bit suspisious when the pictures we have seen posted on this thread were all posted by members who had 3 and 0 posts prior to this...planted news? (no offence intended if you both are in fact "real" members, actually, if it helps Pentax I'm all for it, and it is good entertainment for crazy old Pentaxians like me).
this is marketing in the internet age. for better or worse. selective "leaking" has been around much much longer though.
04-19-2009, 05:04 PM   #420
Veteran Member

It's 10am, 20th April here in Melbourne. Where's the next installment of PentaxSoap?!?

Damnit, where's the "Submit Order" button. I have been without my K10D for the past three weeks now and it's driving me nuts (getting serviced). Got no other DSLR