Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2009, 07:32 PM   #436
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Enc0der Quote
Moreover,
I want to see how you will react if a "professional camera man" will come to photograph at your wedding - with a P&S camera.
I'm fine with that. If I hired him/her, I already would have looked at his/her portfolio and would have been impressed by it. I wanna see the results of the photos he took and sue him/her if his/her portfolio is night-and-day different from the results I got.

It's all about performance. The pros buy the high-end DSLRs not because of how they look, but how they perform and stand regular abuse. Never have I heard of any pro who based his/her camera purchase solely because it "looks" pro.

04-19-2009, 07:37 PM   #437
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sezme Quote

Still curious about the two bumps in back, though. Perhaps the big one is a larger joystick-like multiselector switch to make it easy to navigate among the 51 AF points...
I think you're putting too much hope on an improved AF system. I certainly hope for a SAFOX IX with more AF points but I don't think Pentax will go that far as to have something closer to 51 AF points...

Peter
04-19-2009, 07:39 PM   #438
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MCR Quote
I can't see green button in new body. I belive, that new body will have green button too...
No green button? It could mean many things. Maybe Pentax has moved it somewhere else or reassigned one of the buttons to act as such. Or maybe, just maybe, Pentax has finally gone and done what many people here have been asking for: an uncrippled K-mount.

It could also be the case that Pentax simply shoved legacy lenses altogether and made this new camera unable to meter with old manual lenses, but I don't see that happening.

We'll see.
04-19-2009, 07:42 PM   #439
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
No green button? It could mean many things. Maybe Pentax has moved it somewhere else or reassigned one of the buttons to act as such. Or maybe, just maybe, Pentax has finally gone and done what many people here have been asking for: an uncrippled K-mount.

It could also be the case that Pentax simply shoved legacy lenses altogether and made this new camera unable to meter with old manual lenses, but I don't see that happening.

We'll see.
The green button has almost certainly moved to the back, which would only make sense with exposure compensation and ISO (?) buttons on the top.

04-19-2009, 07:43 PM   #440
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mutedphotos Quote
Pentax has already publicly stated that they're not interested in EVF, or FF for that matter (for the time being at least, they said they only had the R&D funds to do either FF or 645D, and they chose the latter).

Why do these rumors still persist?
I don't think they are rumors, only people stating what they want/don't want to see in the upcoming camera.
04-19-2009, 07:47 PM   #441
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

We'll see.
There's a lot more to the green button than metering with manual-aperture lenses. When you've shifted from the basic program line, you use it to get back. When you're in TAv and want to switch back to a "normal" exposure setting after having kept a super-high shutter speed and medium aperture with your tele, you use the green button. When you're in manual and don't want to scroll through the shutter speeds or apertures while watching the meter until you get to about the right exposure, you use the green button to set it to the program line. It's a pretty darn useful little button, I'd say.
04-19-2009, 07:54 PM   #442
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
There's a lot more to the green button than metering with manual-aperture lenses. When you've shifted from the basic program line, you use it to get back. When you're in TAv and want to switch back to a "normal" exposure setting after having kept a super-high shutter speed and medium aperture with your tele, you use the green button. When you're in manual and don't want to scroll through the shutter speeds or apertures while watching the meter until you get to about the right exposure, you use the green button to set it to the program line. It's a pretty darn useful little button, I'd say.
Yup, it is. I'd hate for Pentax to take out that green button. I reference it only how I use it mostly, though, which is for old lenses. Certainly other people, you included, use it more in other areas.

04-19-2009, 07:58 PM   #443
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
I'll add to that:
When you're using exposure compensation and you want to get back to normal exposures, press the exposure compensation button plus the green button. When you want to switch into Auto ISO, press the OK button (On the K10/20D) plus the green button. These cases are why the green button has to be on the back if the exp. comp. and ISO buttons are on the top.
04-19-2009, 08:06 PM   #444
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sezme Quote
Still curious about the two bumps in back, though. Perhaps the big one is a larger joystick-like multiselector switch to make it easy to navigate among the 51 AF points...
the big bump is just the rear dial. identical to the K10 or 20.

and Pentax hasn't gotten rid of the green button, it'll be on the back just like the 645D. we should look harder at the 645D as it represents the latest in Pentax's thinking. unfortunately the 645D still uses a 4 way selector. I wish they'd go to 8 way just to reduce a button press for selecting an AF point on a diagonal..
04-19-2009, 08:09 PM   #445
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm going to step out on a limb here and say that the button to the right of the exp comp is in fact used to swith the camera from portrait to landscape. It just does not look like "ISO" to me. it looks like a horizontal and a vertical rectangle.

This would mean the camera has a square sensor. Maybe 23.5 x 23.5 mm or so? This would require a Ø34.4mm image circle to cover the entire square sensor. Maybe not all pentax lenses would work for the full square sensor, but I bet allot would.

This might explain the shape of the prism cover, and the size of the eye piece.

I know there have been other threads about this topic. I know many people think it would be an unworkable design.

But what if?
04-19-2009, 08:21 PM   #446
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If a DSLR is capable of taking video would it not be extremely useful to have some type of power zoom control? Maybe that's what those buttons are for...or maybe not.
04-19-2009, 08:27 PM   #447

This icon sort of looks like the face detection icon found on many digital cameras. This technology currently exists in more than half a dozen DSLRs, so it would not be out of the question that Pentax would place this hard button for this new to them feature where the green button might have gone otherwise.

Actually I don't mean the bracketing icon, but the one in question next to the the exposure compensation button behind the shutter release.
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
It's not ISO. It looks like this, but 2 rectangles side by side, not 3.

Or like 2 rings. Or 2 squares.

Unknown sign. Maybe aspect ration.

Last edited by dnaseigel; 04-19-2009 at 08:29 PM. Reason: icon confusion
04-19-2009, 08:37 PM   #448
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dnaseigel Quote
This icon sort of looks like the face detection icon found on many digital cameras. This technology currently exists in more than half a dozen DSLRs, so it would not be out of the question that Pentax would place this hard button for this new to them feature where the green button might have gone otherwise.

Actually I don't mean the bracketing icon, but the one in question next to the the exposure compensation button behind the shutter release.

Ok, it might be face detection, but it looks nothing like the face detection icon used on the X70.
04-19-2009, 08:58 PM   #449

Give it a rest guys, its "SO", as in ISO.
04-19-2009, 09:51 PM   #450
Veteran Member

Yup, it is. I'd hate for Pentax to take out that green button. I reference it only how I use it mostly, though, which is for old lenses. Certainly other people, you included, use it more in other areas.
Relax, Pentax can't take the green button out or they'll also have to take HyP and HyM modes out (as well as all the other other goodies associated to it)... which would make no sense as these are a big part of what sets Pentax apart fro the others.

Pentax is supposedly aiming to differentiate themselves from the crowd, not to get back to the herd.

On a side note, the prism doesn't really look that big anymore on this photo, it's more like the rest of the body looks smaller... finger crossed, I am still rooting for a BIG finder equivalent to a FF one!