Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2009, 09:58 PM   #451
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Fang Quote
While we're all excited to see these leaks, it leaves me a bit baffled here. Either this is part of the hype machine of Pentax's marketing department before the supposed announcement in May(?), or someone at Pentax doesn't know what discipline is. As I have stated here a few days back when the blurry images came out, the owner of this blog is someone who I believe is a Pentax employee works at Pentax Shanghai. If an employee can do things like this perhaps he has got some nods from the high up, or of course he could be just trying to show off.

I wonder what this would make people who have seen the new body and signed an NDA will feel about confidentiality promises, not to mention those who have seen the new body and have signed nothing.

Peter
You wouldn't believe how employees of even the most secretive industries lack discipline...

If I want to see what the future models from my car company will look like, I just open the paper: there are pictures of "secret" prototypes all over the place, often taken by some technician/engineer from the project aching to show-off how well introduced he/she is to his fellow mates on the internet! :ugh:

04-19-2009, 11:28 PM   #452

square sensor?

There is some speculation that the bigger prism is due to a new square sensor. Some people ask which DA-lenses can support the larger image circle, others dismiss the idea because most APS-C lenses wouldn't support a 24*24 image.

I think the idea behind a square sensor is not to take a image with square aspect ratio, but to switch between horizontal and portrait orientation without turning the camera. Depending on the orientation, different parts of the square sensor are used to gather the image data. As this would only require 16*24 in either orientation all APS-C lenses could be used without a problem.

If the additional costs of the larger sensor were lower then the additional costs of a vertical grip, it would be a smart and compact innovation.

Just to heat up the talk that the presumed ISO button shows in fact two squares and a totally new function...
Attached Images

04-19-2009, 11:32 PM   #453
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lol101 Quote
You wouldn't believe how employees of even the most secretive industries lack discipline...
For a worldwide company like a camera company and beta testing involving so many different peoples, I think the embargo is difficult to control sometimes.

Furthermore, if you've gone through that "Pentax" guy's blog, he is actually an electronics gadgets aholic especially for Pentax DSLR gear and I guess he simply just couldn't help himself! :-D
04-19-2009, 11:33 PM   #454
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
By the looks of it, there could be a button between the lens mount and grip.

04-19-2009, 11:36 PM   #455
Veteran Member

Still APS-C, I Bet

I guess its still APS-C, but with an even larger viewfinder with higher than 95% coverage. It is because a DA prime was mounted for the photos.

It will have all the updated features through, improved AF, hopefully improved metering, video feature and practically usable LiveView with all those standard LV features.

The body's appearance and design looks promising. Let's see what will happen!

QuoteOriginally posted by pareto Quote
There is some speculation that the bigger prism is due to a new square sensor. Some people ask which DA-lenses can support the larger image circle, others dismiss the idea because most APS-C lenses wouldn't support a 24*24 image.

I think the idea behind a square sensor is not to take a image with square aspect ratio, but to switch between horizontal and portrait orientation without turning the camera. Depending on the orientation, different parts of the square sensor are used to gather the image data. As this would only require 16*24 in either orientation all APS-C lenses could be used without a problem.

If the additional costs of the larger sensor were lower then the additional costs of a vertical grip, it would be a smart and compact innovation.

Just to heat up the talk that the presumed ISO button shows in fact two squares and a totally new function...
04-19-2009, 11:48 PM   #456
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pareto Quote
As this would only require 16*24 in either orientation all APS-C lenses could be used without a problem.
They would need to redesign all the non-symmetrical lens hoods though, which is not practical. Also, that's a lot of wasted, very expensive silicon for very little benefit. Is it really so difficult to hold a camera vertically? Wouldn't it look pretty stupid with vertical and horizontal framing lines in the viewfinder?

There is no way the new camera will be:

1) APS-H
2) full frame
3) square sensor

I don't know why people are so happy to suggest anything but APS-C, as if any other sensor format was some magic bullet to improve the pictures. Pentax is totally dedicated to APS-C. Every Pentax digital SLR has been an APS-C camera. This is an APS-C camera. Every Pentax camera in the foreseeable future will be an APS-C camera.
04-19-2009, 11:53 PM   #457
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lol101 Quote
finger crossed, I am still rooting for a BIG finder equivalent to a FF one!
I`m so with you on this one. If only this strange shape of viewfinder was actually meant to handle nice FF sensor and not be some kind of EVF.

Oh well there will be K-mount camera with APS sized sensor at some point. The question is it later or now, and I got all the time in the world.

04-19-2009, 11:55 PM   #458
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
God damn it, can someone ask the guy on his blog to take a picture of new camera from the front w/o lens mounted on it???!!

04-20-2009, 12:20 AM   #459
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ilya80 Quote
God damn it, can someone ask the guy on his blog to take a picture of new camera from the front w/o lens mounted on it???!!

If you're offering him a new job that pays better than Pentax Shanghai, I guess this guy might consider doing that just for you.

PF
04-20-2009, 12:51 AM   #460
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Fang Quote
If you're offering him a new job that pays better than Pentax Shanghai, I guess this guy might consider doing that just for you.

PF
But I bet he will be promoted to a higher rank at Pentax Shanghai very soon as he has promoted a new Pentax camera very well than any Pentax marketing staff could do than ever before! ;-D
04-20-2009, 01:06 AM   #461
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
But I bet he will be promoted to a higher rank at Pentax Shanghai very soon as he has promoted a new Pentax camera very well than any Pentax marketing staff could do than ever before! ;-D
or he will get fired.
04-20-2009, 01:10 AM   #462
Forum Member

Haha! Exactly! Let's keep this thread rolling so he could accomplish that sooner.
04-20-2009, 02:25 AM   #463
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's time to launch new spy photo...
04-20-2009, 02:26 AM   #464
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I guess its still APS-C, but with an even larger viewfinder with higher than 95% coverage. It is because a DA prime was mounted for the photos.

It will have all the updated features through, improved AF, hopefully improved metering, video feature and practically usable LiveView with all those standard LV features.

The body's appearance and design looks promising. Let's see what will happen!
Remember that a Hoya official stated that some DAs were having the mount redesigned for a different body?

Rui
04-20-2009, 02:31 AM   #465
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by comet4 Quote
By the looks of it, there could be a button between the lens mount and grip.

That would be a Mirror Lockup.

Rui