Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2009, 08:16 AM   #481
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
.............................It will have all the updated features through, improved AF, hopefully improved metering, video feature and practically usable LiveView with all those standard LV features.
The body's appearance and design looks promising. Let's see what will happen!
Those are nice, positve, things to say about Pentax. Who are you, and what have you done with RiceHigh?

04-20-2009, 08:20 AM   #482
Veteran Member

All I can say is that I'm not paying €1500 unless the autofocus is much better!, i.e on a Nikon level (51 points) and has a 1x viewfinder however I'm very interested in this new camera!

I guess I'm looking for a Nikon d700 / Canon 5d MK II kind of level camera. I wish Pentax would release details so I can start planing.

I'd also like autofocus during HD video and external sound input. I can't wait for videoing with my old manual f1.7 and then playing with my DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 and seeing what videoing at 18mm is like on the kit lens.

I hope this camera answers my dreams... I've come along way with pentax starting with the *ist DL a about 5 years ago and then the K10D which I still have, I borrowed a k20d last year from Pentax UK and the new prime DA* lens to play with, which was awesome but I thought I'd wait for a better camera and start investing in DA* glass which I'm doing. I'm off to uni in Sept to study Press & Editorial Photography and will need a more pro spec camera i.e pc sync socket, 1x viewfinder, better autofocus, and better high iso (no banding as I am hoping to carry on working but with bigger clients magazine and papers and bigger bands.

I can't wait for this beast to be unleashed! haha
04-20-2009, 08:21 AM   #483
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The first in the world FF camera under 1500 euro.
04-20-2009, 08:23 AM   #484
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dopeytree Quote

I'd also like autofocus during HD video and external sound input.
AF video would be cool, external microphone IMO should be pretty easy to implement if Video is implemented so I guess this one should indeed be included.

04-20-2009, 08:24 AM   #485
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Yes, exactly.
Tekade is pretty serious and they do this to build a priority shipping list from early preorders (which can be cancelled anyway).
Their price (1500€) is a price Tekade is already able to promise delivery for. The actual price they will ship preorders will (most likely) be lower than this. They charge credit card the day of delivery only
I know Tekade is serious store, they known for that. My point was that the price is a guestimate and you say, probably a max price rather than a realistic price.
04-20-2009, 08:26 AM   #486
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Yes, exactly.
Tekade is pretty serious and they do this to build a priority shipping list from early preorders (which can be cancelled anyway).
Their price (1500€) is a price Tekade is already able to promise delivery for. The actual price they will ship preorders will (most likely) be lower than this. They charge credit card the day of delivery only
I expect the price to be more in the €1299 MSRP body only (€1399 with 18-55): that would be in-line with the positioning of the new cam + the price rise that has been affecting all goods from Japan these days.

€1500 body only seems a bit high, except if it really delivers in terms of specs (100% finder +6-8fps +new high precision/velocity AF + 1/8000s X-1/250s shutter + 1080p video and state of the art LV) but franckly I don't think it will.

I expect more like 4/4,5fps, some AF tweaks, maybe a higher magnification VF (that would really be awesome), and still a 1/4000s X-1/180s shutter and 720p video with adequate LV.

Coupled to our usual nice ergonomics, weathersealing and SR, this is already quite some camera we would be looking at, especially if the fit and finish is "quality oriented".

Last edited by lol101; 04-20-2009 at 08:39 AM.
04-20-2009, 08:27 AM   #487

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Those are nice, positve, things to say about Pentax. Who are you, and what have you done with RiceHigh?
It's only to be more disappointed after !

04-20-2009, 08:30 AM   #488

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
huh people want a camera to suit Limited lenses and cry because it is too expensive althoughthey dunno even what's in.

Is that pathetic? Do you really think you can have a 5dmk2 in shape and bult of an MX and priced like a K-m?
I never said that I want a "5dmk2" camera that will suit limited lenses etc' (to be honest I'm not even sure what this means), but if the camera is priced HIGHER THAN THE NIKON D300, this message describes my feelings perfectly:

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
At current exhange rates thats £1332. The D300 is currently available body only for £1099. Assuming that the German site is quoting a body only price then this camera better be damned good.

I was expecting about £900-£1000 launch. If its aiming to be even more expensive than the D300* then it will have to have:

- A new, overhauled, excellent AF system
- At least 5fps
- 1.0x viewfinder
- 720p video with audio
- 1/8000 shutter
- 2.7 or 3.0 inch VGA res screen

Essentially the image quality of the K20D hasn't got anything to worry about in a comparison to the D300 so that needs less improvement but the camera side needs a big overhaul to come up to D300 standards.

* regardless of the fact that the D300 has been out for ages now

p.s.
If the camera will indeed outcome (or even get even) with the D300, I will definitely get one even for that MSRP price.
But to be completely honest, I doubt that.
04-20-2009, 08:32 AM   #489
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dopeytree Quote
All I can say is that I'm not paying €1500 unless the autofocus is much better!, i.e on a Nikon level (51 points)
51 points? I think the number of AF points we have now is adequate, maybe add a few but if you have 51 and you want to change from one point to the other, on the other side you'll be pressing buttons for ages if you have 51 point...
By the way, 51 crappy points make for crappy focus, it only takes a few good ones to have good AF.
04-20-2009, 08:33 AM   #490
Gus
Forum Member

We can pretty much expect this to be an APS-C, but I'm hoping for much lower noise levels (similar to the D3x with its new filter technology).

Improved AF and LiveView would definitely be welcome.
04-20-2009, 08:38 AM   #491
Gus
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
51 points? I think the number of AF points we have now is adequate, maybe add a few but if you have 51 and you want to change from one point to the other, on the other side you'll be pressing buttons for ages if you have 51 point...
By the way, 51 crappy points make for crappy focus, it only takes a few good ones to have good AF.
Yep, I think Nikon's 51 is a bit of an overkill, especially when you consider how densely packed all of these points are around the center (although its LiveView mode will focus anywhere within the frame).
04-20-2009, 08:38 AM   #492

A (much more) improved AF is basically a must... This is by far the weakest side of Pentax for now. AF Speed and Burst mode speed.
04-20-2009, 08:39 AM   #493
emr

1300-1500€ and APS-C? Hopefully that's not the case because IMHO a camera like that would be doomed today.
04-20-2009, 08:42 AM   #494
Pentaxian

Re: this Ivyjopy figure. I have checked out his family shots and other photos and noticed that most of the photos contain a tag line with the camera and lens used. In his family shots he did not do that. I'm pretty convinced that all of those shots were made with the new Pentax
04-20-2009, 08:43 AM   #495
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
1300-1500€ and APS-C? Hopefully that's not the case because IMHO a camera like that would be doomed today.
Well, you can basically bet anything you want it won't be much below 1300€ MSRP since it's the current price for all cameras in its class (look at the launch price of the 50D and wait until you see the price tag attached to the future D400).

Best case scenario, you're looking at a 100€ price increase over the MSRP launch price of the K20 just because of the yen: there goes 1299€!