Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2009, 08:45 AM   #496

Photos: Albums
This is too much fun - just reading the speculation is entertaining and exciting - thanks for all the comparison shots and the link to the German seller - fun to see a price guestimate and a bit more data to fuel the fire -

04-20-2009, 08:45 AM   #497
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
51 points? I think the number of AF points we have now is adequate, maybe add a few but if you have 51 and you want to change from one point to the other, on the other side you'll be pressing buttons for ages if you have 51 point...
By the way, 51 crappy points make for crappy focus, it only takes a few good ones to have good AF.
I know what you mean, I tend you only use center or manual but it'd be nice to be able to rely on the tracking focus etc when you need to and to know that you won't miss a shot because my camera is ****ing about trying to focus, It annoys the hell out of me at gigs, when it nails the focus then whizes off to try something else then back again, so I just stick to manual normally.
04-20-2009, 08:46 AM   #498
Gus
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
1300-1500 and APS-C? Hopefully that's not the case because IMHO a camera like that would be doomed today.
Isn't that what Pentax reps had us believe lately, that they're committed to APS-C for the moment?

Although I would love a larger sensor, I'm sick and tired of the same old rumors that keep getting brought back to life before every major launch (APS-H, FF). Granted, the viewfinder seems larger on the alleged-blurry-spy pic, but I'll believe it when I see it.
04-20-2009, 08:46 AM   #499
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LenWick Quote
This is too much fun - just reading the speculation is entertaining and exciting - thanks for all the comparison shots and the link to the German seller - fun to see a price guestimate and a bit more data to fuel the fire -
The fact that this thread received over 75,000 views overnight is in itself entertaining...

I don't think the pictured body is a 645, since that lens would definitely be too small. Probably a prototype IMO!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-20-2009, 08:47 AM   #500
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Re: this Ivyjopy figure. I have checked out his family shots and other photos and noticed that most of the photos contain a tag line with the camera and lens used. In his family shots he did not do that. I'm pretty convinced that all of those shots were made with the new Pentax
Please link to the photos in question
04-20-2009, 08:49 AM   #501

QuoteOriginally posted by Gus Quote
Yep, I think Nikon's 51 is a bit of an overkill, especially when you consider how densely packed all of these points are around the center (although its LiveView mode will focus anywhere within the frame).
High point count AF sensors are all about AF tracking in AF-C. You wouldn't believe how much better the AF tracking is on Nikon's 51 point and Canon's 45 point bodies compared to any of the low point-count sensors. The downside is that the points are too concentrated on the FF bodies (not an issue on the D300 or 1D)

In AF-S mode you don't need more than 11 points (And just about everybody with the 51 point Nikons runs them in 11 point with assist mode in AF-S)
04-20-2009, 08:49 AM   #502
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The fact that this thread received over 75,000 views overnight is in itself entertaining...

I don't think the pictured body is a 645, since that lens would definitely be too small. Probably a prototype IMO!
I have wondered this to because it wasn't that long ago that someone from pentax in Europe somewhere said there is a new k20d replacement in the works but the concept had recently changed.. but it's too late to still be developing isn't it
04-20-2009, 08:50 AM   #503
Veteran Member

It'd be nice if we don't bash stuff we haven't even really learned to use. The 51 AF points on the latest Nikons are amazing. There's a bit of a learning curve but once you learn it and use it at the right kinds of situations, it's pretty darn good. You also have the option to use less AF points too.

A nice thing to implement would be that the VF display can be "customized" like the D3/700/300. I mean, you have the option to show/hide AF points, or the display changes in the VF depending on the number of AF points/AF mode. (if that makes sense). The AF points aren't etched onto the screen anymore I think and it sounds like some sort of LCD or whatever.

04-20-2009, 08:59 AM   #504
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by soccerjoe5 Quote
It'd be nice if we don't bash stuff we haven't even really learned to use. The 51 AF points on the latest Nikons are amazing. There's a bit of a learning curve but once you learn it and use it at the right kinds of situations, it's pretty darn good. You also have the option to use less AF points too.

A nice thing to implement would be that the VF display can be "customized" like the D3/700/300. I mean, you have the option to show/hide AF points, or the display changes in the VF depending on the number of AF points/AF mode. (if that makes sense). The AF points aren't etched onto the screen anymore I think and it sounds like some sort of LCD or whatever.
I agree this is quite nice feature.
04-20-2009, 08:59 AM   #505
Gus
Forum Member

@Mawz and Soccerjoe5: My bad. I've never used the D3 in tracking mode (mainly use it for architectural/landscape still shooting). I shouldn't have judged the feature solely through my application. Thanks for the correction.

I'm also aware that one can reduce the number of focus points.

And I guess in this case, bring the extra focus points on! I would love to have good AF tracking on my hyperactive pre-schooler.
04-20-2009, 09:03 AM   #506
Veteran Member

If this thing is APS-H (1.25X) I'll sell of my Nikon gear I just bought and run back to Pentax in a second. 1.25x would turn the 17-70mm f/4 into a 21-87mm f/4. Talk about one lens to rule them all. I would rarely ever take it off of the body.
04-20-2009, 09:04 AM   #507

Nikon only uses etched screens on the D2/D3 series bodies, the lower-end DSLR bodies are all using LCD overlays (which Nikon pioneered with the F80 film body back in 2000). The D2Xs and D3 screens are hybrids of etched and overlay (they have partial LCD overlays to handle the crop modes, but AF and such are etched/embedded LED).

The easiest way to tell if a high-end Nikon has the full LCD overlay is to check if it supports on-demand gridlines. The low-end bodies lack that feature but use the same technology.
04-20-2009, 09:05 AM   #508
Veteran Member

2300 guests?!?

2300 "guests" reading News & Rumors right now? Can that be correct?

04-20-2009, 09:06 AM   #509
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
1300-1500 and APS-C? Hopefully that's not the case because IMHO a camera like that would be doomed today.
Not really - just look at the 50D and the D300 when they were released. There are rumors of an imminent D400 that's DX as well - I doubt they'd sell the D400 for under 1300 either.
04-20-2009, 09:21 AM   #510
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Desmond.young Quote
look at the flash on top of the body.... quite different from K10/20D.....
maybe....it's....
Found this on a Japanese site, looks like it's the same camera! Could it be the K7D?
Attached Images

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: