Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2009, 09:25 AM   #511

QuoteOriginally posted by ewalk Quote
Not really - just look at the 50D and the D300 when they were released. There are rumors of an imminent D400 that's DX as well - I doubt they'd sell the D400 for under 1300€ either.
The 50D was widely considered to be overpriced when introduced while the D300 offers a completely different level of performance than anything else in the sub-$2000 market (It can compete with the 1DmIIN and D2Hs in all out speed when matched with its grip and either the EN-EL4 or 8xAA battery configurations). Pentax would need to bring something quite serious to the table to justify that sort of price (of course, with the recent ridiculous price jumps Pentax may just be choosing 'price insanely' instead).

04-20-2009, 09:28 AM   #512
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Smaller than the K-M, or is that perspective?

EDIT: This thread is now so long, we're backtracking. This was discussed starting at post 302...

Last edited by jsherman999; 04-20-2009 at 09:34 AM.
04-20-2009, 09:29 AM   #513
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Found this on a Japanese site, looks like it's the same camera! Could it be the K7D?
Adam, this is post #302! https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/563480-post302.html

Welcome to your forum
04-20-2009, 09:42 AM   #514
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Smaller than the K-M, or is that perspective?

EDIT: This thread is now so long, we're backtracking. This was discussed starting at post 302...
Might as well keep it going...it does seem quite small, at least comparable in size to the K-m. It'd be pretty nice if they could put out a camera superior to K10/K20 in that small a package.

Either way, the suspense is killing me. Last night I logged on and there were 300+ in news and rumors. Today I saw over 2200 and I was sure the wait would be over...

04-20-2009, 09:44 AM   #515
Veteran Member

Pentax K7D

The German dealer Tekade (mentioned before) has altered a thread title from one of his forum users. He changed K7D to KxD.

As he knows the details (he confirms embargo ends around May 20), this is a subtle confirmation that the name is indeed
Pentax K7D
(in his pre order offer, he calls it KxxD, though -- so, I wouldn't yet exclude K70D or K70))
04-20-2009, 09:56 AM   #516
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
If all goes well, I will post a thread that could beat the record of this one.

Ben
QuoteOriginally posted by farfisa Quote
Well, this is now the most viewed thread here--just beat out benjikan's "something interesting...really" thread.

I'm just sayin...
04-20-2009, 10:20 AM   #517
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by soccerjoe5 Quote
It'd be nice if we don't bash stuff we haven't even really learned to use. The 51 AF points on the latest Nikons are amazing. There's a bit of a learning curve but once you learn it and use it at the right kinds of situations, it's pretty darn good. You also have the option to use less AF points too.

A nice thing to implement would be that the VF display can be "customized" like the D3/700/300. I mean, you have the option to show/hide AF points, or the display changes in the VF depending on the number of AF points/AF mode. (if that makes sense). The AF points aren't etched onto the screen anymore I think and it sounds like some sort of LCD or whatever.
I think 51 focus points would be cool. The more precision you can get the better.

People asking for 51 points, though, does illustrate one of my main points of frustration with Nikon and Canon controlling the market -- they get to define what the "must have" features that every camera needs in order to be viewed as worthwhile. For example, already in this thread we have someone saying that if the new Pentax camera doesn't have certain better features than the Nikon D300 it won't be worth buying. But what if that doesn't factor into the cost? What if the new camera has a magnificent view finder, great build, class leading image quality and noise control, improved shake reduction and other features that the other camera brands don't have?

My point is that Pentax shouldn't be expected to make the Nikon D400 -- as I think Nikon already has the inside track on that one. I hope this new camera, whatever it is, is judged on its own merits, and not on the features people think it should have.

04-20-2009, 10:31 AM   #518

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
For example, already in this thread we have someone saying that if the new Pentax camera doesn't have certain better features than the Nikon D300 it won't be worth buying. But what if that doesn't factor into the cost? What if the new camera has a magnificent view finder, great build, class leading image quality and noise control, improved shake reduction and other features that the other camera brands don't have?
My point is that if the new Pentax will cost MORE than the D300, then it'll be ridicules if the camera will still have such a slow AF compared to, well, any other camera on the market (even the Nikon D80 is much much faster in AF).

Any other features are nice, but things like standard speed, standard fps, and good controls - are all basic stuff for a camera this expensive.
You can't just ignore it.

It's like buying a BMW 750L car, that is limited to 30 Km/h.
All the others features are great. They really are!
But the speed is so slow, that it's getting ridicules.
04-20-2009, 10:41 AM   #519

QuoteOriginally posted by Enc0der Quote
My point is that if the new Pentax will cost MORE than the D300, then it'll be ridicules if the camera will still have such a slow AF compared to, well, any other camera on the market (even the Nikon D80 is much much faster in AF).

Any other features are nice, but things like standard speed, standard fps, and good controls - are all basic stuff for a camera this expensive.

The new OVF at best cost $100 more to make. If it has build-in EVF I will throw in another $100. The sensor is the same but with video. If the AF speed is similar I expect price similar to the launch price of K20D. The K20D was overpriced when it launched anyway.
04-20-2009, 10:48 AM   #520
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Adam, this is post #302! https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/563480-post302.html

Welcome to your forum
It sure is all over the place! Wish I had the time to read every page

I still can't believe that overnight, this thread saw more views than Ben's "Something interesting...really" thread. Now all we have to do is wait for an official announcement of the K7D, or whatever they'll be calling it.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-20-2009, 10:51 AM   #521
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paolojackson Quote
Might as well keep it going...it does seem quite small, at least comparable in size to the K-m.
Must be perspecive, K20D does look smaller than the K200D here as well

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
My point is that Pentax shouldn't be expected to make the Nikon D400 -- as I think Nikon already has the inside track on that one. I hope this new camera, whatever it is, is judged on its own merits, and not on the features people think it should have.
Just about the most sensible thing posted in this thread so far...

We still don't know anything about pricing... And for comparison sake, the list price of the D300 at announcment was € 1980,00 including kitlens and with more favourable yen vs. rest of the currencies rate.

Most people think the Pentax alread has good controls... Especially when they get their hands on other cameras...
More fps? May be nice but I rarely need more than three, if it comes at a cost, no way....
Faster AF?? Yes, ANY AF system, be in Canon Nikon or Pentax can be improved upon and shoudl be improved upon... Pentax AF is more than adequate for most situations I encounter but improved AF?? Always usefull!!

But it is very safe and very low on fuel consumption. Surely that must be something in these days
04-20-2009, 10:54 AM   #522
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
1300-1500€ and APS-C? Hopefully that's not the case because IMHO a camera like that would be doomed today.
Nikon D300 was € 1980,00 when announced....
04-20-2009, 11:05 AM   #523
Veteran Member

You're right about that. And of course if people are shopping for a new camera, features on cameras from the same class will and should be compared to one another before a purchase of this size. I also agree with you that Pentax would be foolish if they didn't improve the AF in this new model from the AF in the K20D.

My problem is with critiques of cameras that seem skewed toward the market leaders. It goes something like this: Canon and Nikon compete with each other to be the spec kings --> since these specs are being emphasized, reviewers and consumers assume that these specs are the most important part of the camera --> cameras from other companies (Sony, Pentax, Olympus) are knocked for not having these specs, which then further reinforces the existing dominance of the top two.

Nikon and Canon are rarely knocked, for example, for not having shake reduction built into their cameras, and people who buy these cameras often don't even know that they should maybe be a little angry for having to pay extra for VR lenses.

It happened with megapixels and liveview. Now it's happening with video. To the point that I feel bad for the poor company that doesn't have full HD video planned for their high end cameras.

This wouldn't be so bad, except it also makes people overlook smaller companies, like Olympus, when they try to innovate. What I was saying is that I hope this doesn't happen to Pentax if they manage to come up with something new for this camera, as the new ideas this camera might employ are really what intrigues me.
04-20-2009, 11:13 AM   #524
Forum Member

As a D700 and K10D owner, I think you are either grossly underestimating Pentax's AF, or grossly overestimating the AF every other camera on the market. The truth is that there isn't nearly as big a gap as common wisdom would indicate.
04-20-2009, 11:26 AM   #525
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I doubt any serious photographer want's Video capabilities in there DSLR.
I know I don't ..I have a great movie camera and a P&S that has them allready, I bought my DSLR to take great photo's, and I'm still not having much luck with that.
- A new, overhauled, excellent AF system
- Better Burst Speed
- At least 5fps
- 1.0x viewfinder
- 1/8000 shutter
A LCD that can be seen in the light. would be a great invention.
All sound great though.