Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2009, 08:54 AM   #646
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
My good sir, this is at least the second post you have made chastising someone for talking about something that "does not exist". You even called the OP an "arse" for starting the thread.
I fear there may be some sort of misunderstanding here that I would like to, hopefully, clear up:

This is a discussion forum, not merely a database of substantiated facts. It's purpose is for members of like interests to talk about those interests. I am most curious though as to why, if the fact that others are talking about it distresses you so, you keep reading and participating in this particular thread.
ah my dear chap, it does not distress me, it actually makes me laugh my gutts off , when i see for example at the begining of this post a camera identification out of focus conveniently, and then all of a sudden people who were very satisfied and who posted many good things about their system, all of a sudden the possibility of a new camera body coming out , and for some reason the camera they have has the most defects, now how ironic is that,

that's why i laugh

Dave

04-21-2009, 09:04 AM   #647
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by redpigeons Quote
our work based a lot of CG and the HD video available at all time from a dslr opened a new world for us
You and spence.nicholson made me curious about that RED One camera.

Seems to be an amazing piece of hardware. On the other side...

It's core (the body) seems to be a 12 MPixel APS-C CMOS camera which can compress full resolution JPEG2000 4096 x 3k images in realtime @ 30fps.

At 17500$.

And 18-85mm f/2.8 APS-C lens goes for as little as $10k

Seems like a high margin business.
04-21-2009, 09:19 AM   #648

QuoteOriginally posted by dafiryde Quote
ah my dear chap, it does not distress me, it actually makes me laugh my gutts off , when i see for example at the begining of this post a camera identification out of focus conveniently, and then all of a sudden people who were very satisfied and who posted many good things about their system, all of a sudden the possibility of a new camera body coming out , and for some reason the camera they have has the most defects, now how ironic is that,

that's why i laugh

Dave
I am sorry, but that makes you either stupid or ignorant.
I never said that the K20D is a bad camera.
It is a great system! with a great added value that can't be found on other cameras on the market.
It really is a great camera, this is why a own one.

ALL THIS DOES NOT CHANGE THE FACT THAT IT ALSO HAS DRAWBACKS, SUCH AS A SLOWER AUTO-FOCUS AND SLOWER FPS IN BURST MODE.

You can keep laughing as much as you want, but just so you know - the joke's on you.
04-21-2009, 09:49 AM   #649
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote

It's core (the body) seems to be a 12 MPixel APS-C CMOS camera which can compress full resolution JPEG2000 4096 x 3k images in realtime @ 30fps.

At 17500$.

when a studio get paid some times over a million for a spot...
depending how many high budget spots one studio makes its a no brainier .

if not I've also seen smaller studios renting it for way way less

04-21-2009, 09:52 AM   #650
Gus
Forum Member

That's because their products are RED hot

They're the ones who have got the quarter Gigapixel RED 617 planned for the Spring of 2010. 25fps and US$55,000, not bad.
04-21-2009, 09:53 AM   #651
Veteran Member

Hi Stephen, you obviously haven't tried Pentax wireless P-TTL flash, and that's a pity. And that's why you have a completely wrong idea of how it could work and how useful the pop-up flash could be.

You can use the pop-up flash as wireless trigger only, with no contribution to the overall exposure! And wireless P-TTL saves me so much time, it works well and it is very flexible; I can move my slave flashes around without worrying much about exposure. The quick and almost fool proof set up of wireless P-TTL is essential to me when I have to deal with kids and toddlers.

And when you attach a Pentax flash as the wireless master, you can even dial in the master:slave flash ratio right on your attached flash without touching the remote flash.

Anyways, K7D would have a built-in flash as the photo showed. I just hope they up the function of pop up flash like more power and high speed sync capable to work better as fill flash.

QuoteOriginally posted by StephenG Quote
cant understand why someone would go to so much trouble to set up various OCF's and then ruin the shot by using the on board flash, straight on, un-diffused onto the subject matter.
if you settng up OCF's then you should at least be conscience of your light ratios - assuming thats why you set them up in the first place - then to compliment your effect you should ideally be using bounced or diffused light from a flash gun, not the pop up flash.
a PC sync socket is far more versatile and useful for my needs than the pop up flash that i never use.
04-21-2009, 10:02 AM   #652
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by redpigeons Quote
ha! which one? maybe we work for the same studio.. I am in NY and you are in LA...

I also must say that I am talking about a post production house and not a production house. our work based a lot of CG and the HD video available at all time from a dslr opened a new world for us

any way... only wanted to stand that our studio is using it... obviously not every one did the switch we did, and different studios are using different tools
Yes I agree with most that DSLR video is a very intriguing concept, and definately opens many doors and simplifies many processes. My point is that DSLR as it is now will not overshadow traditional Cinema cameras (whether they be 35mm, 16mm, or HD) in traditional commerical, and film shoots. The Red has definately made a huge dent in the market but it is a camera modeled after Cinema cameras. And their Scarlett and Epic systems will be able to be set up as Still cameras, or built as cinema cameras which I think is highly promising.

04-21-2009, 10:04 AM   #653
Inactive Account

At 17500$.

No the sensor is the same size as a Super 35mm film gate. It is not APS-C
04-21-2009, 12:06 PM   #654
Veteran Member

I want that feature!

QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
With my Nikon I actually use a similar method to check focus. When previewing a photo on the LCD you can simply press the D-pad and the LCD automatically magnifies 100% to the point of focus. You find out real quick if your photo is in focus. I've found this to be incredibly handy so far.
The K10D comes close with the instant zoom wheel on the back but it zooms to center, not to the selected focus point. I have mine set to zoom to 100% on the first roll. If I could also force it to zoom to the selected focus point that would be sweet! Does the K20D do this?
04-21-2009, 12:20 PM   #655
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Enc0der Quote
I am sorry, but that makes you either stupid or ignorant.
I never said that the K20D is a bad camera.
It is a great system! with a great added value that can't be found on other cameras on the market.
It really is a great camera, this is why a own one.

ALL THIS DOES NOT CHANGE THE FACT THAT IT ALSO HAS DRAWBACKS, SUCH AS A SLOWER AUTO-FOCUS AND SLOWER FPS IN BURST MODE.

You can keep laughing as much as you want, but just so you know - the joke's on you.
i may be stupid or ignorant for being satisfied with what i have, but the way you write, you seem to have some serious PROZACK issues

Dave
04-21-2009, 12:28 PM   #656
Veteran Member

Umm, excuse me.....

I am wondering...
Is there anybody out there who has taken pictures the last few days or is everybody glued to the computer?
04-21-2009, 12:31 PM   #657
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GoldenWreckedAngle Quote
The K10D comes close with the instant zoom wheel on the back but it zooms to center, not to the selected focus point. I have mine set to zoom to 100% on the first roll. If I could also force it to zoom to the selected focus point that would be sweet! Does the K20D do this?
No. It would be interesting though.
04-21-2009, 12:36 PM   #658
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
I am wondering...
Is there anybody out there who has taken pictures the last few days or is everybody glued to the computer?
I managed to finish running a test roll of portra 400VC through my LX .
04-21-2009, 12:41 PM   #659
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
I am wondering...
I managed to break away from this thread last night to shoot a roll on my LX.

It was a nice reminder that photography is more then a spec sheet...

But the gear head in me just has to know what the next camera will be!
04-21-2009, 12:42 PM   #660
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CSoars Quote
I managed to finish running a test roll of portra 400VC through my LX .
Um...ya...

Not intending to copy you..

I used Tri-X, so, ya, I can think for myself...