Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2009, 07:49 PM   #1051
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Enc0der Quote
Same dilemma here.
I'm wondering, consider that Pentax (?) said the new camera is NOT the successor of the K20D, if the K7 (completely new series?) will be tagged HIGHER than the K20D or just a completely different approach (as some said: "will fit your limited lens better").

In other words, if I'm looking for a Nikon-D90-like (at least!) Pentax, and don't care about a "retro look" ().
Is there a change that the K7 will actually have some DISadvantage over the current K20D is some aspects? Even in the most basic stuff, like.. I dunno.. no backlight on the top lcd.. maybe?

This all "retro" idea keeps me nervous.. I want a year-2009 camera, top-notch in every aspect. Not something retro as a limited series used mainly for nostalgia...
Well, you could always just wait and see what's what. If it ends up not satisfying your wants, then you could just buy a K20D for cheap or go with a D90 itself. It's only a few weeks away, anyway. We can all wait.

04-24-2009, 08:08 PM   #1052
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by HermanLee Quote
But what if I want to hand hold the camera with SR OFF?
I do this often to practice my hand holding skill using big lenses.

OGL, when you say that, does it mean ON all the time or can we still turn it OFF manually?

Btw, congrats on your #1000 post. I think this thread can go up to 2000th easily if more info leaked slowly.

Hmm...wonder how Ben is gonna beat this thread :P
Thank you. SR is in camera. I think there is direct access thru OK.

As for design and ergonomics of K-7: this is camera want to carry and hold in hands all the time. I think it's the best Pentax's camera body in Pentax's digital era.

I say now only about BODY.

Last edited by ogl; 04-24-2009 at 10:58 PM.
04-24-2009, 09:06 PM   #1053
Veteran Member

Pentax K-7 was Unofficially Announced!

QuoteOriginally posted by Yohan Pamudji Quote
So one Pentax branch tried to cover it up, and Yvon blew that cover up wide open I believe Yvon more than I do Pentax Corporate.
Com'on, Guy. That person has close deals with Pentax Imaging and he is just so official (but worse than, actually, since he pretends to be independent). He will give you no additional information until the NDA ends!

So, just see mine! I am nothing Pentax affiliated!! ;-D

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: Pentax K-7 Unofficially Announced!

Edit: It is of NO JOKE, I am SERIOUS !

Last edited by RiceHigh; 04-24-2009 at 09:29 PM.
04-24-2009, 09:15 PM   #1054
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Careful, that's a "who needs more than 640K of RAM" sort of quote. I can immediately think of plenty of uses for clean ISO 64,000 for "most people". (High depth of field in low light!)
ISO 64,000 = HDR-type images without HDR!

04-24-2009, 09:25 PM   #1055
Veteran Member

GPS

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
Indeed he was. This paragraph is interesting:

We can read this as indicating that the camera will be better than a simple K20D with video but won't have all of the following: 5+fps, 1/8000, 1/250 flash sync, improved AF, 77 zone AE, 3inch VGA screen, GPS, metal housing. How much of this it does is hard to say but the article is clearly aimed at moderating expectations.

Although the way the above quote is worded indicates the camera will have a unique selling point (USP). The term "some of us" is an odd phrase for somone under an NDA to use (i.e. someone who already knows the specs). Easy to read too much into this though, is English his first language? (his English is fine but it might explain this phrase). If he used it deliberately I'd see it as confirmation of something new. But what? Who knows. Didn't Pentax patent some new bayer-filter thing?
one thing that surprised me: the sole mention of built-in GPS in this 1000 post thread was in a quote from Yvon Bourque's list of possible features. seems like a lot of people really aren't that excited for GPS. especially in contrast with the ubiquitous "faster AF".
04-24-2009, 09:28 PM   #1056
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
one thing that surprised me: the sole mention of built-in GPS in this 1000 post thread was in a quote from Yvon Bourque's list of possible features. seems like a lot of people really aren't that excited for GPS. especially in contrast with the ubiquitous "faster AF".
He said that he had quoted from our *rumours on the Internet* as he had signed an NDA and could disclose nothing. So, why bother?
04-24-2009, 10:48 PM   #1057
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
He said that he had quoted from our *rumours on the Internet* as he had signed an NDA and could disclose nothing. So, why bother?
yes but he was rather careful listing which things he'd heard. He obviously heard about the K7 being FF, square, aps-h, EVF and everything else we've all heard a thousand times. he didn't mention any of these, instead he was talking about exact shutter speeds and much more realistic things..

04-24-2009, 11:13 PM   #1058
ogl
Banned

The most important question is sensor of K-7.
Even specs can't say anything. Only first RAWs.
I'd prefer weak AA filter, but I'm afraid that K-7 will carry new version of Samsung CMOS and ISO6400/12800 and strong AA filter. It's no good at all.

Last edited by ogl; 04-24-2009 at 11:23 PM.
04-24-2009, 11:18 PM   #1059
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I'd prefer weak AA filter, but I'm afraid that if K-7 will carry new version of Samsung CMOS and ISO6400/12800 and strong AA filter. It's no good at all.
On the German forum someone said that the K-7 will have the exact same sensor as the K20D. I think that was to be expected as Pentax said officially that they cannot update everything (sensor, fps, processing speed etc) at once. So be prepared for a faster camera with probably a better viewfinder and good LV system, but not much else.

Although I do hope that there's someting good in the works.
04-24-2009, 11:24 PM   #1060
ogl
Banned

2.9 fps is too low to compete.
04-24-2009, 11:27 PM   #1061
Veteran Member

I'd prefer weak AA filter, but I'm afraid that if K-7 will carry new version of Samsung CMOS and ISO6400/12800 and strong AA filter. It's no good at all.
In that regard I don't think Pentax will stray much from the formula of the K20D. It's most likely an update of the same sensor with the same AA assembly that got the K20 such good resolution scores. One of the many reasons people like Pentax is their general philosophy of keeping the image pipeline as pure as possible, primarily them using the least amount of NR in the industry (noise be damned). I think Pentax in particular would never accept smearing away details with a strong AA filter, especially in this camera.
04-24-2009, 11:30 PM   #1062
ogl
Banned

As for me, K20D has strong AA filter. I think so. Good resolution, but K10D has better sharpness without additional sharp. IMO.
04-24-2009, 11:34 PM   #1063
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Com'on, Guy. That person has close deals with Pentax Imaging and he is just so official (but worse than, actually, since he pretends to be independent). He will give you no additional information until the NDA ends!

So, just see mine! I am nothing Pentax affiliated!! ;-D

Edit: It is of NO JOKE, I am SERIOUS !
To RiceHigh,

Why do you always try to discredit everybody. The Pentax world does not revolve around you. You are well known in the Pentax community as a trouble maker and a Canon fan that for some unknown reason, always discredit Pentax equipment.

Don't speculate and then print your views as facts.

I am not associated with Pentax but I am an incredible fan of Pentax equipment. I have used Pentax equipment since HighShool, when you probably weren't born yet. I met Pentax officials and executives as well as some of the Pentaxian photographers at the PMA 09 in Las Vegas this past March. I interview them and already posted some of the interviews on my Blogsite.

They are an exceptional group of people and so much more friendly and helpful that the other brands of DSLRs. You go and try to talk directly to Canon or Nikon USA Presidents and executives.

The comments I made on my blog today can be summarized to this:

Although many of these wish list items will likely be included in the new DSLR, we really set ourselves for disappointment if we think that every technical advancements available on all makes of DSLRs will be included in this new flagship model. Some new Pentax proprietary technology, not found on any other DSLR at any price, may also be unveil with this new DSLR.

I believe the new DSLR will have an introductory price of around $1,200 to $1,500 (pure speculation on my part). It would be foolish to think that the camera will have all of the bells and whistles of an $8,000 DSLR.

I was privileged enough to see the specification sheet of the new DSLR as well as a picture of it. I signed an NDA agreement with Pentax to keep everything strictly confidential and I will respect that. From the time I read the specifications and looked at the picture of the camera in early March, many changes of plan could have taken place. This is a very competitive market and every company watches what the others are doing so that they won't be out shined.

What I saw was in early March. I don't know what was added or deleted since and I won't speculate. When the time is right, I will post all specifications and photos, once Pentax approve the final version for production.

So why do I bother RiceHigh? Because at this stage too many rumors can lead people in the wrong conclusions and set themselves for disapointment. If indeed all of the bells and whistles become reality, that would please me to no end.

So RiceHigh, I have no personal gripe with you, and always thought that Asian people were so polite, and most are, but you seem to force your opinions as facts.

Best Regards to all Pentaxians, and I am as excited as you are about this new upcoming DSLR.

Last edited by ebooks4pentax; 04-24-2009 at 11:40 PM.
04-24-2009, 11:38 PM   #1064
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by k10dbook Quote
To RiceHigh,

Why do you always try to discredit everybody. The Pentax world does not revolve around you. You are well known in the Pentax community as a trouble maker and a Canon fan that for some unknown reason, always discredit Pentax equipment.

Don't speculate and then print your views as facts.

Best Regards to all Pentaxians, and I am as excited as you are about this ne uopcoming DSLR.
Strange post. I found Rice's last information about K-7 very close to real. +/-.

Rice likes Pentax lenses and I like it too. As for me, camera is just tool. Good camera is good tool.
I think that Rice "makes a mountain out of a molehill" sometimes when he sees the minors of Pentax cameras, but I don't think that he discredit Pentax equipment.

Have a look how good old FAJ18-35 works at Canon 5D.
http://ricehigh.blogspot.com/2009/04/some-sample-photos-with-faj-18-35-on-5d.html

Last edited by ogl; 04-24-2009 at 11:52 PM.
04-24-2009, 11:52 PM   #1065
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Strange post. I found Rice's last information about K-7 very close to real. +/-.

How can you find the information very close to real when the DSLR has not been unveiled yet?

RiceHigh's posting his blogsite on someone elses forum is usually considered as spamming.