Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2009, 05:30 PM   #1156
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 896
QuoteOriginally posted by schmik Quote

Don't miss the boat pentax. if you have to announce early then do it. Even if it is them 2 months until delivery. Announce it and announce it now! don't give people a chance to 'imagine' the specs and then get disappointed if they are not there. Slap this new camera in into the face of the internet crowd before there is no surprise left.

mike
agreed. if the early leak wasn't deliberate, then Pentax should take advantage of the peak interest and announce now. for better or worse, I'm sure they'd get (and retain) more preorders by doing so.

it's unfortunate that their hand might've been tipped involuntarily, but it does happen all the time and is a common part of doing business in this day and age. absolutely nothing to be ashamed of.

.....and yes, we all just want it now.

04-25-2009, 05:41 PM   #1157
Veteran Member
deejjjaaaa's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: steel city / rust belt
Posts: 2,046
QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
that got the K20 such good resolution scores
actually not, K20D has absolutely not outstanding resolution... unless of course you compare it w/ 10Mp sensors where it has an edge just by a brute force of almost 1.5 more pixels
04-25-2009, 05:52 PM   #1158
Veteran Member
Torphoto's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Trinidad W.I.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 620
Ok now look and see what you guys have done, we have Ned releasing teaser pics now and telling you all to stop bashing each other.
04-25-2009, 06:47 PM   #1159
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Philippines
Posts: 1,399
QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
At this point, this "K7" better be more than a smaller, metal, slightly improved K20. Let it be the small milestone in digital photography we all want it to be, else now even the higher official echelons of Pentax will be guilty of crying wolf.
We're setting ourselves up for disappointment if we expect such things. I'd rather keep my expectations down and then be pleasantly surprised if it does become a milestone. At a guesstimated price of 1500 euros, there's not much to work with there to create a milestone in digital photography. The prism hump looks mighty fine and the strap lugs are definitely great (I like retro-styling), but to suddenly expect D3/1Ds performance (current hallmarks in DSLRs) would be asking for too much.

Pentax never made statements about this new camera being able to stand head and shoulders with the best other companies have to offer, so let's not put words in their mouth and assume they cried wolf when they announce the camera and some of us are left disappointed.

I'm as excited as anyone else is over the new camera, and while speculation is fine and dandy, I will separate such speculations from expectations.

04-25-2009, 06:48 PM   #1160
Veteran Member
ManuH's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,209
QuoteOriginally posted by schmik Quote
It sure will be hard to keep the hype going for a month. At the first leak and as more specs came out i was ready to 'pre-order'.
Personally, it may be the first camera I will pre-order, especially if the rumoured specs are true (and I'm not talking about square or APS-H sensor non-sense). But smaller body, 5fps, 920k 3" LCD, improved Liveview, faster shutter, 100% VF, improved AF and metering, are all gold to me.
04-25-2009, 07:53 PM   #1161
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 896
QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
We're setting ourselves up for disappointment if we expect such things. I'd rather keep my expectations down and then be pleasantly surprised if it does become a milestone. At a guesstimated price of 1500 euros, there's not much to work with there to create a milestone in digital photography. The prism hump looks mighty fine and the strap lugs are definitely great (I like retro-styling), but to suddenly expect D3/1Ds performance (current hallmarks in DSLRs) would be asking for too much.

Pentax never made statements about this new camera being able to stand head and shoulders with the best other companies have to offer, so let's not put words in their mouth and assume they cried wolf when they announce the camera and some of us are left disappointed.

I'm as excited as anyone else is over the new camera, and while speculation is fine and dandy, I will separate such speculations from expectations.
i don't disagree with you. for me personally, they already had me at "smaller K20" (the essentially confirmed AF assist lamp is already bonus enough for me.).

the issue is that the long gap between the early leaks and drawn out announcement date has opened up room for ever wilder and wilder expectations. this will only mean proportionally more disappointment at the eventual announcement.

i don't remember any leaks from other camera brands that have been this early. others have usually timed their announcements to the height of interest from a leak, intentional or otherwise. this is why i believe Pentax should move up their announcement and strike while interest is high and expectations remain relatively realistic.

for instance, how long would they expect this thread to keep going? it's already long run its course.
04-25-2009, 08:04 PM   #1162
Senior Member




Join Date: May 2007
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 149
QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
i don't remember any leaks from other camera brands that have been this early. others have usually timed their announcements to the height of interest from a leak, intentional or otherwise. this is why i believe Pentax should move up their announcement and strike while interest is high and expectations remain relatively realistic.

for instance, how long would they expect this thread to keep going? it's already long run its course.
I recall a couple times in both the Sony and Nikon camps where cameras were leaked well before the official announcement. It happens with every company these days. Even the notoriously tight-lipped Apple can't get away from it. And I wouldn't hold my breath on expecting Pentax to bump up the announcement date. I've never seen that happen with any company.

But speaking of Sony and the possibility of an AF assist lamp on the K-7 (and this may be a little OT), whatever happened with the laser grid assists that Sony use to implement? I still use my old Sony F-828 from time to time, which has the laser grid feature, and I always loved it. Much less obtrusive than a bright light shining in your face (and no it wasn't a bright retina-searing laser). Most people never even noticed it, and it always worked well, even at fairly significant distances. I don't think even Sony uses this anymore though. Seems a pity to me.
04-25-2009, 08:12 PM   #1163
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 896
QuoteOriginally posted by mutedphotos Quote
I recall a couple times in both the Sony and Nikon camps where cameras were leaked well before the official announcement. It happens with every company these days. Even the notoriously tight-lipped Apple can't get away from it. And I wouldn't hold my breath on expecting Pentax to bump up the announcement date. I've never seen that happen with any company.
almost a month and a half early? Canon, Nikon and others have most certainly moved announcements earlier or later to the many motions of the market (call it strategic thunder stealing). we've just never known it because fortunately for them, what leaked wasn't a promotional asset with a predetermined announcement date.

04-25-2009, 08:13 PM   #1164
Senior Member




Join Date: May 2007
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 149
QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
almost a month and a half early? Canon, Nikon and others have most certainly moved announcements earlier or later to the many motions of the market (call it strategic thunder stealing). we've just never known it because fortunately for them, what leaked wasn't a promotional asset with a predetermined announcement date.
Perhaps, but that's just as speculative as everything else in this thread
04-25-2009, 08:19 PM   #1165
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 896
QuoteOriginally posted by mutedphotos Quote
Perhaps, but that's just as speculative as everything else in this thread
it's just marketing. when you drop the press release is often more important than what's in it.
04-25-2009, 08:22 PM   #1166
Senior Member




Join Date: May 2007
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 149
QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
it's just marketing. when you drop the press release is often more important than what's in it.
Very true, and I agree with your premise that Pentax should capitalize on the hype while they have it. I'd certainly like to see an announcement sooner rather than later, I'm just not expecting it any sooner than 5/21. Maybe it's just the pessimist in me
04-25-2009, 08:40 PM   #1167
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 896
I'm hoping they'll change 5/21 to the shipping date..
04-25-2009, 08:44 PM   #1168
Senior Member




Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 184
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
EDIT:
I just understand now what you mean ...
You used the K-7 front photo from the NDA press kit. Nice, but others have it in larger size
I found it more enterteining to verify that indeed Ned himself leaked an image...

For people not having seen the press kit photo yet (AFAIK, it didn't leak yet), I enlarged your version.

Enjoy
Are you saying you have the press kit photo? Then spill the beans, man!
04-25-2009, 09:14 PM   #1169
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: carpentersville, IL
Posts: 693
QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
I'm hoping they'll change 5/21 to the shipping date..
me too. I won't be buying the camera til 2010 but I want it out asap. A couple pages back someone said early July will be the ship date. I just don't agree. I'm thinking they might get it out a week or two before then just to get it out in time for 4th of july...
04-25-2009, 10:05 PM   #1170
ogl
Pentaxian
ogl's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Siberia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,254
The start date of sale K-7 in Europe are approx. June, 21-23.
The camera is already in batch production. The first K-7 will be in European stocks in 1-2 weeks. The first shipment from factory are already done. Some dealers have got K-7.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
pentax news, pentax rumors
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
POST A PIC TO OWN THE PIC ABOVE! (Game) ll_coffee_lP Mini-Challenges, Games, and Photo Stories 788 08-01-2015 01:01 AM
Who out there would prefer a K30D? Ben Hunt Pentax DSLR Discussion 45 11-05-2010 06:48 AM
What would we want from the K30D? offertonhatter Pentax News and Rumors 102 04-22-2009 02:30 AM
So... is the K30D actually going to have autofocus? SupremeMoFo Pentax News and Rumors 88 01-03-2009 05:53 PM
Iso 1600 pic and a Butterfly Pic... Eastern Shore Charlie Post Your Photos! 5 07-06-2008 10:27 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:38 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top