04-27-2009, 06:27 AM   #1233

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Pentax kit lens - DA18-55/3.5-5.6
Pentax kit lens - DA18-55/3.5-5.6 WR
04-27-2009, 06:39 AM   #1234
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Erasmo Quote
Pentax kit lens - DA18-55/3.5-5.6 WR
almost on queue, now there's info sprinkling in about the lens. so the K-7 really is about weathersealing.

Cool either way, but I have to admit, i was sort of hoping for the first "Limited" camera with the first Limited kit lens. to introduce the line (and general beauty of primes) to everybody. i suppose they wouldn't be very "Limited" then huh.

i applaud the spawn of the "WR" spec. this is the 'non-optical change to lenses' the Pentax executive was talking about. With the introduction of affordable WR lenses, Pentax is really serious about bringing weathersealing to the mainstream, solidifying their unique position even further

Last edited by illdefined; 04-27-2009 at 06:52 AM.
04-27-2009, 06:56 AM   #1235

wikipedia and official link to K-7?

"...and really sexy strap lugs. Initial reports that the camera can summon rainbows and unicorns remain unconfirmed."

It was the first wikipedia article. Considering that pentaximaging.com's page naming is so easy, (ttp://www.pentaximaging.com/slr/CAMERA NAME) isn't there still possibility that someone just faked?

Last edited by chocoberry; 04-27-2009 at 07:01 AM. Reason: http link error
04-27-2009, 06:59 AM   #1236
Nubi

hoping for the first "Limited" camera with the first Limited kit lens

I don't know if we realize this as a group, but the company, especially the R and D guys, really really take a huge pride in the limited lens series. In fact, they think that the kind of thinking behind the limited lens is what sets Pentax apart from C and N. This new K-7 is a reflection of that. The company feels that to take excellent photographs you need to not stay in one spot but moves around to get the frame you want with the prime lenses, thoughtfully think your way through and execute your artistic presentation, without relying on "whims and accidents." This new model is, in every sense of the word, a "limited" camera.
04-27-2009, 07:04 AM   #1237
Veteran Member

I would love it if they did like Olympus with the e-420, that is: offer two kit lens alternatives. In Olympus' case, a 25/2.8 pancake and the regular 14-42 consumer zoom -- Pentax could offer a good deal on a Limited lens (say the 40/2.8 pancake or a new 35/1.8) as well as the new 18-55.

I know this probably won't happen, but I would love it if it did!
04-27-2009, 07:15 AM   #1238
Nubi

They did consider packaging with it the DA 40 ltd.

04-27-2009, 07:28 AM   #1239
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
IMHO, the inclusion of a movie mode on the mode dial, and a "LV" button on the back can only mean that the movie mode is not half-hearted like in the K20D. We *expect* Contrast Detect AF when using the Live View!
04-27-2009, 07:42 AM   #1240
emr

QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
They did consider packaging with it the DA 40 ltd.
Now, that would've certainly given the set a lot more prestige than a kit zoom, weather resistant or not.
04-27-2009, 07:50 AM   #1241
RaduA

IMO the stroke of genius from Hoya would be to pool the most requested features by users in all groups not only the fans. One feature being present in the list makes even harder for a potential buyer to chose another product. I often wondered why LV in K20D doesn't get blasted on fora and reviews because IMO it's close to unusable. But it is there and on occasions it is perhaps better than nothing. For the average user I guess movie mode will be about the same and a competitive selling point since almost all new cameras have it.

Remember what Nikon did in 2007 launching D3 and D300 in parallel. They essentially distributed a lot of costs between much more cameras than only the high-end model. And D300 arguably sell 5 to 10 times more than the FF camera. So it would be stupid from Hoya to develop a new image processor that doesn't support video for example only to make another one for the K200D' successor some months latter.

I think that this model will not be *high end* but more like *premium mid range with some unique twists*. Pentax' high end range I hope it will be 645D + another smaller than MF sensor DSLR.

Radu
04-27-2009, 07:55 AM   #1242
Veteran Member

I think though the kind of people who are going to buy the K-7 already have a few limited lenses so would they need the kit one aswell? I only have one the 35mm macro but many others have 3-4 limiteds

Also am I correct in thinking that WR stands for weather resistant? One more confusion why include the 18-55mm kit lens when there is a much better 16-45mm f/4 or even the 17-70mm SDM lens I hope they have thought it through properly.. personally I'd either like a DA* 30mm SDM limited or a WR 17-70mm SDM with the K-7. but the 18-55mm kit lens is very small so...
04-27-2009, 07:58 AM   #1243
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dopeytree Quote
I think though the kind of people who are going to buy the K-7 already have a few limited lenses so would they need the kit one aswell? I only have one the 35mm macro but many others have 3-4 limiteds

Also am I correct in thinking that WR stands for weather resistant? One more confusion why include the 18-55mm kit lens when there is a much better 16-45mm f/4 or even the 17-70mm SDM lens I hope they have thought it through properly.. personally I'd either like a DA* 30mm SDM limited or a WR 17-70mm SDM with the K-7.
Pentax is not stupid... The K-7 will sell like hotcakes with a WR lens, just because not everyone wants to buy a $$$ lens to go with the new body. With the WR kit lens, you're all set until you want to upgrade.

If I had the choice when I bought my K20D, I would have bought it with the WR kit lens, even if it was 100% more expensive. The WR alone is *that* attractive to me and probably also to other potential buyers. Now we have a camera that is 100% weather resistant.
04-27-2009, 08:02 AM   #1244
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Pentax is not stupid... The K-7 will sell like hotcakes with a WR lens, just because not everyone wants to buy a $$$ lens to go with the new body. With the WR kit lens, you're all set until you want to upgrade.

If I had the choice when I bought my K20D, I would have bought it with the WR kit lens, even if it was 100% more expensive. The WR alone is *that* attractive to me and probably also to other potential buyers. Now we have a camera that is 100% weather resistant.
It all depends on how much that kit lens costs.. The kit lens is good but how many of us have upgraded? I personally would prefer a top notch lens with my camera i.e DA* 16-50mm SDM F/2.8 yes it's not cheap but it's a pro lens and this is supposed to be a pro camera? Anyway I'm sure they'll have several deals going with lenses
04-27-2009, 08:11 AM   #1245
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dopeytree Quote
It all depends on how much that kit lens costs.. The kit lens is good but how many of us have upgraded? I personally would prefer a top notch lens with my camera i.e DA* 16-50mm SDM F/2.8 yes it's not cheap but it's a pro lens and this is supposed to be a pro camera? Anyway I'm sure they'll have several deals going with lenses
I've never seen any D300-level camera bundled with a constant 2.8 zoom lens, really, probably because camera manufacturers are loathe to give out discounts on lenses that they know DSLR users will eventually buy without the discount, anyway. I have no qualms with them doing that (they do need to make money), and I also don't expect that aspect to change.

In any case, like some have said some time back, Pentax can make some money simply by releasing a sealed kit lens. There are quite a number of K10/20/200D owners who would probably jump at such a lens. I know I would, if priced properly. And Pentax doesn't even have to make it a constant f/4 lens or something. I reckon even the same old 18-55/3.5-5.6 will sell loads, if it's upgraded with sealing.

For the rest of the guys, where did you see this new kit lens? You all seem to talk about it as if it was leaked somewhere. I didn't see that. Share! Share!