Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2009, 03:08 PM   #196
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow, good find, Mark!

Now, who can explain what this new patent means?

After following this thread, I feel more like a detective rather than a photographer :ugh:

Mark, your "Patent" link is missing, btw.

Thanks

04-16-2009, 03:17 PM   #197

Fixed the Patent link now. (Too many http's.... sorry )
04-16-2009, 03:19 PM   #198
Veteran Member

i think we are witnesses of Pentax's new moto.. Be interesting...
this new way of marketing.. and the whole interest raising is really unique..

i think the deeper body might have something to do with better implementation of movie mode, focusing, liveview focusing.. or something..

i'm getting excited by all this game.. really, as someone mentioned, feels like being detective..
04-16-2009, 03:32 PM   #199
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mark D Quote
One of the guys on the Pentaxusers site found this.....
Pentax Patented a new Pentaprism last year and this housing seems to match the shape. Lower and deeper..
Actually, this patent is for making prism smaller; something that do not fit the new spyed DSLR.

I suspect it might be refinement of the Pentax 645's finder patent.....

04-16-2009, 03:38 PM   #200
Veteran Member

Shorter mirror throw

To me it appears as though this patent would reduce the mirror throw (the displacement of the mirror to move out of the way).

I think this would allow for an increase the speed of the mirror moving out of the way or reduce the impact if it went slower.

Both strike me as a good idea. Perhaps a faster shutter speed? Or reduced mirror shake. Though I would bet a faster shutter speed.
04-16-2009, 03:38 PM   #201
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by redpigeons Quote
I know trust me and I respect that this is why I apologized.
no worries, i can see how it would be confusing

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
I imagine the opposite is probably true as well.
wouldn't be surprised!
04-16-2009, 03:42 PM   #202

Maybe it is for the 645D, but the 645D has been in the pipeline ( and the public eye) for a couple of years. I don't think they'd risk leaving any patent applications so late. I think this is for someting new.
Whether or not it's this camera, we'll have to wait and see I guess.

04-16-2009, 03:42 PM   #203
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
I imagine the opposite is probably true as well.
yes, even more so...
04-16-2009, 03:43 PM   #204
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
It is Chinese, actually.
JP (the blog author) did not write or elaborate much on those photos.

In picture one, he wrote the caption: "Pentax Spy shot, photo from the internet, will continue tomorrow". In the comment, he wrote "Note, I wrote 'photo from the internet'.".

In picture two, caption said "picture from the internet". In the comments, he wrote "Everybody is mistaken about picture 1, actually there is a mouse at the back."

In picture three caption, he wrote "the mode dial looks like Sony Alpha, you have to the press the middle button before you can turn the mode dial."
This may mean nothing, but of all this I find "there is a mouse at the back" the most strange statement. Is it a game with words? Could it be translated in any alternative way? Doesn't the same sign sometimes have more than one meaning? Mouse or ...rat (?) ...or...?

These images carefully avoids showing the name and the back of the camera.
04-16-2009, 03:49 PM   #205
Veteran Member

Re: Leaks.

A leak is a very bad idea if it stifles sales of existing lines. It's hurt other companies, including Osborne Computers in the 1980's. Cash flow slowed, inventory backed up, and sales of the new model didn't repair the damage.

This is more like an accident than a deliberate leak. Nothing here that really adds to what we know: a new camera is on the way, however quickly or slowly.

The anticipation can keep customers interested and engaged. For better than a dozen screens of comments so far.

But if we get excited enough about a leak to set aside our tax refund instead of buying a new 60-250, we have opened ourselves to the possibility that the money won't be around when the camera IS available. Something else comes up (tires or carpeting) and Pentax gets nothing.

I hope they're managing this carefully.
04-16-2009, 03:50 PM   #206
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
This may mean nothing, but of all this I find "there is a mouse at the back" the most strange statement. Is it a game with words? Could it be translated in any alternative way? Doesn't the same sign sometimes have more than one meaning? Mouse or ...rat (?) ...or...?

I think "mouse at the back" could mean touch screen. Possible it was a lost in translation kind of hing...

ummm, nevermind........

Last edited by dave sz; 04-16-2009 at 03:59 PM.
04-16-2009, 03:56 PM   #207
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Actually, this patent is for making prism smaller; something that do not fit the new spyed DSLR.

I suspect it might be refinement of the Pentax 645's finder patent.....
I'm still having trouble judging the scale, myself, but it seems to me, from my quite limited understanding of optics, that they could make this in any number of sizes, particularly the long way... and it could possibly allow some pretty funky stuff to go in there behind the prism, still.
04-16-2009, 03:56 PM   #208
Veteran Member

This may mean nothing, but of all this I find "there is a mouse at the back" the most strange statement.
This refers to the first image posted here:
Hello! Mr. Blurry Cameraphone - Windows Live

In the "enhanced" image by falconeye here, you can actually see that the top part is a computer mouse at the back on the desk next to the keyboard. It just blended with the camera in the blurry picture, making the illusion that the camera was more square and larger, and leading to speculation that it was just a 645D.
04-16-2009, 04:06 PM   #209
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

(Nosnoop already covered it. Thanks. )

From this most recent image, I can say that the main body portion is significantly thinner than the K20D sitting next to me. The mirror box doesn't seem to extend farther, really, it just looks that way due to the thinner body portion. Based on the somewhat blocky shapes I'm expectng to see something slightly more retro-styled, and while I find the curves of the K20D to be dead sexy in the manner of a stealth aircraft, I'm definitely liking what I see here as well. Following the analogy, maybe a taste of F-117.

That's also definitely a review button sitting where the bracket button used to be. I suspect that a swiveling screen is likely, now that we've got a glimpse at that video mode on the dial. Now all we need to happen to that mode dial is for them to replace "green" mode with something actually useful... I mean, honestly, what are you supposed to use it for? Program is essentially the same thing but slightly better.

Last edited by er1kksen; 04-16-2009 at 04:08 PM. Reason: nosnoop beat me to it
04-16-2009, 04:34 PM   #210
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by HermanLee Quote
Wow, good find, Mark!

Now, who can explain what this new patent means?

After following this thread, I feel more like a detective rather than a photographer :ugh:

Mark, your "Patent" link is missing, btw.

Thanks
This has been already discussed here, supposedly for a 645D viewfinder. But it could fit on this discussion.

Rui