Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2009, 07:56 AM   #241
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
Indeed, but it could just as well just be the Off position. Nothing supports that the On/Off switch will still be in the same place as previous bodies...

Wim
Well, except that it'd be terribly-inconvenient to do that, I think? Having to reach up and turn from 'off' and select your exposure mode?

I don't much care about it: I could take or leave, but I think we're looking at video capability.

04-17-2009, 08:15 AM   #242
Banned

if this 'mystery' camera has the old style strap lugs (and I hope it does) then where would the lug on the right side be placed? you can clearly see the typical protruding hand grip. and looking at both my K110 and K-m, I don't see where it could be placed. something doesn't seem right... im calling hoax, unless some new, better photos show up.

04-17-2009, 08:31 AM   #243
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
Applying CSI technology:
LOL! But I think you got the camera logo upside down
04-17-2009, 08:36 AM   #244
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
Applying CSI technology:
Even as blurry as it still is, there is some correlation between your video icon and the new Pentax icon. Well spotted.

If it turns out to be this icon, we will gladly accept this year's image deblur award!

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
LOL! But I think you got the camera logo upside down
The reconstructed image quality is already good enough to say that the icon's orientation would be correct!

04-17-2009, 08:45 AM   #245
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=séamuis;561578]if this 'mystery' camera has the old style strap lugs (and I hope it does) then where would the lug on the right side be placed? you can clearly see the typical protruding hand grip. and looking at both my K110 and K-m, I don't see where it could be placed. something doesn't seem right... im calling hoax, unless some new, better photos show up.

Hrm. Well, suppose the right side is roughly-K20 sized, (to accomodate battery and card and whatever other workings) and the left is narrow like it looks, the other strap lug might go on top, either just like current cameras, or an old-fashioned one off to the side. I don't see this arrangement as a deal-killer: it actually kind of follows, presuming this is a slightly odd-shaped camera.

Also, speaking of LXes, what if there's two strap lugs on the left?
04-17-2009, 09:04 AM   #246
Veteran Member

It looks like the original blogger has deleted the 3 pictures/blog entries he posted.
Pressure from Pentax?
04-17-2009, 09:04 AM   #247
Banned

I don't believe this is the same camera. the lugs don't make sense, and the shape of the mirror boxes don't seem to match.

04-17-2009, 09:48 AM   #248
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think all three photos are of the same camera. To me the prism cover shape is the same in all three shots.

The right side strap lug wouls be in the same place as it is now on the K10D/K20D. Have a look at a Nikon D300. Same locations.

This whole "mouse at the back" thing is just that. There really is a mouse at the back in the secound photo. The camera is on a desk, and the "black mass" at the rear of the camera is a computer mouse and a black mouse pad. It has nothing to do with the camera.

The interesting thing that I keep coming back to is the side seam on the prism. It is not as tight as I would expect. The shine of the material of the body and the prism also differs. Also because of the way the hot shot is located, I do not think there is a built in flash. So why the large side seam?

I really am wondering if it has a removable viewfinder. I know no other camera has this. But why the large side seam and no built in flash?
04-17-2009, 09:50 AM   #249
Inactive Account

Oh, I'm shure it is!

Look at the knobs and buttons on the upper side of the Mirrorbox: Everything matches!

And it really has to be very small for the mirrorbox is that dominant compared to K10D and others!
04-17-2009, 09:52 AM   #250
emr

All this speculation is better than watching Lost or football! Keep it coming, I'll get some drinks and popcorn.
04-17-2009, 09:58 AM   #251
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote

The interesting thing that I keep coming back to is the side seam on the prism. It is not as tight as I would expect. The shine of the material of the body and the prism also differs. Also because of the way the hot shot is located, I do not think there is a built in flash. So why the large side seam?

I really am wondering if it has a removable viewfinder. I know no other camera has this. But why the large side seam and no built in flash?
As tight as you'd expect? This is highly unlikely to be a production camera and it is quite possibly not even functional - it could be a mockup of final hardware. I really don't think we can draw any conclusions about a built in flash based on this. I would be very surprised if this camera lacked a built in flash. It would loose Pentax a huge number of sales.

IMHO interchangeable view finders would be a huge waste of R&D money and very few people would buy new viewfinders either so Pentax would be unlikely to recoup this cost. Plus it introduces the problem of extra joints to seal against dust, moisture and light. And with live-view I really do not see the appeal. I would expect to see a swivelling LCD screen on a Pentax camera long before interchangeable viewfinders (if ever).
04-17-2009, 10:11 AM   #252
Banned

QuoteQuote:
IMHO interchangeable view finders would be a huge waste of R&D money and very few people would buy new viewfinders either so Pentax would be unlikely to recoup this cost. Plus it introduces the problem of extra joints to seal against dust, moisture and light. And with live-view I really do not see the appeal.
what R&D? Pentax already implemented this with the LX. it had interchangeable finders and was weather sealed. in 1980. liveview isn't the best option in a lot of situations, especially when using manual lenses. and I personally WOULD purchase such a camera and finders. but I guess im a rouge.
04-17-2009, 10:19 AM   #253
Veteran Member

Is the "prism cover" shape the same in both photos??? To me, it looks like one is slanted back much farther away from the lens than the other. Maybe it's because of the blur. Or maybe they're two different cameras? LOL, I probably shouldn't have said that.
04-17-2009, 10:23 AM   #254
Veteran Member

quick. someone with a 35 limited macro take a picture of their K10/20D attached from the same angle as the [3rd new] spy photo.

so far i'm really disheartened by the apparent depth of this new camera type. for me the only dimension of the K20D that could've used shortening was its depth (compared to other brands aps-c models). it was already the smallest in length and width for that tier camera, even the olympus 4/3 semi-pros. some felt the grip of the k10/20D was a bit too small as it was.

that's a "small" limited lens and look how far it's pushed out. and where's the hotshoe? further back still? with a traditional zoom lens the thing will look like a rifle (i know some of you will like that).

again, to me, this seems pretty counter to the Limited lens philosophy one of the Pentax execs said the next camera model would follow ie. super high image and build quality in a small, discrete package.

what i was hoping for was a k20D shoehorned into a weathersealed Oly-4X0 series form factor, essentially a k20D smaller than a K200D. instead it looks like we're getting something that will put our hands closer together but will stick out a lot more. bummer.

Last edited by illdefined; 04-17-2009 at 11:14 AM.
04-17-2009, 10:27 AM   #255
Banned

QuoteQuote:
quick. someone with a 35 limited macro take a picture of their K10/20D attached from the same angle as the spy photo.
thats been done multiple times within this thread.