Photos: Gallery
It is ugly, almost Sony like....
I have a hunch it even looks slightly different from the "blurrycam"

04-20-2009, 06:03 AM   #467
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
It's time to launch new spy photo...
I agree. This thread needs to reach 1,000 posts before something actually gets announced and kills the speculation. I'm counting on you guys!
04-20-2009, 06:04 AM   #468
Forum Member

Personally I prefer the angular/faceted aesthetic over the amorphous blob school of design. I think they are linked in my mind to the whole metal vs. plastic argument. The flat planes and sharp(er) edges of this model evoke classics like the MX, LX, MZ-S, whereas the more rounded shapes of the K* recall 1990s wunderplastik. And although I'm well aware that plastic is not necessarily a worse choice than metal, we've seen that Pentax can have problems implementing it (i.e. the cracking base plates on the PZ-1p and K10D). I look forward to seeing this one in the flesh.
04-20-2009, 06:32 AM   #469
Veteran Member

Personally I prefer the angular/faceted aesthetic over the amorphous blob school of design.
I think they are linked in my mind to the whole metal vs. plastic argument. The flat planes and sharp(er) edges of this model evoke classics like the MX, LX, MZ-S,
[/QUOTE]
You forget the KX !!!! I prefer teh feel of the KX above the MX.
QuoteOriginally posted by Jerry Thirsty Quote
whereas the more rounded shapes of the K* recall 1990s wunderplastik. And although I'm well aware that plastic is not necessarily a worse choice than metal,
Can;t you see that the rounded shape of the K20D is a return to the curved line above" Asahi Pentax "on the Spotmatic???? Round shapes are very Pentax...
http://www.nanites.co.uk/images/Pentax%20History%20Images/Spotmatic.jpg

Many plastics are better than metals, especially for cameras.... I have had (in my P&S days) metal cameras fail where the plastic ones survived... And I am talkinig Oly Stylus here.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jerry Thirsty Quote
we've seen that Pentax can have problems implementing it (i.e. the cracking base plates on the PZ-1p and K10D). I look forward to seeing this one in the flesh.
So, they can improve....

04-20-2009, 06:55 AM   #470
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
I agree. This thread needs to reach 1,000 posts before something actually gets announced and kills the speculation. I'm counting on you guys!
Well, this is now the most viewed thread here--just beat out benjikan's "something interesting...really" thread.
04-20-2009, 07:13 AM   #471

availability

The most reputed German Pentax dealer is taking orders for the new cam ("KxxD"). Estimated price 1500€, available end of june / beginning of july.

Link to TeKaDe
04-20-2009, 07:25 AM   #472

Well it's not as small as the digital MX I was hoping for but it's heading in the right direction.

04-20-2009, 07:26 AM   #473
Veteran Member

Wow this section is ALIVE! More than 2000 people viewing the News and Rumors!!!
04-20-2009, 07:34 AM   #474
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pareto Quote
The most reputed German Pentax dealer is taking orders for the new cam ("KxxD"). Estimated price 1500€, available end of june / beginning of july.

Link to TeKaDe
Estimated arrival time: end of june, begining of july... and 1500€ MSRP!

We have ample time to discuss this but it seems quite in line with what I excpected , price included.

It seems I still know my Pentax: end of may announcement with building frenzy (thanks to threads like this) then a good month until the first units are available at full MSRP price, then one or two more month until we get normal supply and start seeing some price falloff.... no new Pentax for me this summer.

If the camera delivers as a good 5D companion (smaller body, nice VF for manual focusing these 24 and 35mm M42, nice ergonomics: don't care about AF, or high ISO anymore since I'll just grab the 5D for low light or fast AF shooting) my estimated buying date is around september... 2010! (I won't buy it over the 800€ mark so I guess I'll just wait).

In the meantime, I'll just watch the new kid on the block make its entry and wish it good luck!

Last edited by lol101; 04-20-2009 at 07:44 AM.
04-20-2009, 07:41 AM   #475

1500€ is pretty expensive, if this will really be the price, I sure hope that Pentax did a really good job in making a camera that will actually be worth it.
04-20-2009, 07:50 AM   #476
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Enc0der Quote
1500€ is pretty expensive, if this will really be the price, I sure hope that Pentax did a really good job in making a camera that will actually be worth it.

At current exhange rates thats £1332. The D300 is currently available body only for £1099. Assuming that the German site is quoting a body only price then this camera better be damned good.

I was expecting about £900-£1000 launch. If its aiming to be even more expensive than the D300* then it will have to have:

- A new, overhauled, excellent AF system
- At least 5fps
- 1.0x viewfinder
- 720p video with audio
- 1/8000 shutter
- 2.7 or 3.0 inch VGA res screen

Essentially the image quality of the K20D hasn't got anything to worry about in a comparison to the D300 so that needs less improvement but the camera side needs a big overhaul to come up to D300 standards.

* regardless of the fact that the D300 has been out for ages now
04-20-2009, 07:50 AM   #477
Veteran Member

I hope I'll be able to hold off long enough for the price to drop a bit this time. I'll buy it before the end of the year for sure though.

To the point... EUR 1500 confirms the target audience for this new camera. Again one step up from the K20D. I even think it's the biggest step up in terms of price to date? I got my *istDS at just under EUR 1000, I believe the K10D was about the same and the K20D was under EUR 1200 for the first copies. EUR 1500 leads me to expect it will be above the K20D in a number of ways indeed...

Wim
04-20-2009, 08:01 AM   #478
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Enc0der Quote
huh people want a camera to suit Limited lenses and cry because it is too expensive althoughthey dunno even what's in.

Is that pathetic? Do you really think you can have a 5dmk2 in shape and bult of an MX and priced like a K-m?

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
I hope I'll be able to hold off long enough for the price to drop a bit this time. I'll buy it before the end of the year for sure though.

To the point... EUR 1500 confirms the target audience for this new camera. Again one step up from the K20D. I even think it's the biggest step up in terms of price to date? I got my *istDS at just under EUR 1000, I believe the K10D was about the same and the K20D was under EUR 1200 for the first copies. EUR 1500 leads me to expect it will be above the K20D in a number of ways indeed...

Wim
Mmm note that 1500 is a guestimate by Tekade. They often offer this kind of pre-sale and they still do for the teleconverter akthough it is barely on roadmap (or is not even anymore?).

Point is, they dunno the price.
04-20-2009, 08:03 AM   #479
Forum Member

well for the price paying for a Pentax camera we should add 25% to 30% more $ to have something have equivalent specs in canikon. Cant wait to see what the new Pentax body has
04-20-2009, 08:14 AM   #480
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Mmm note that 1500 is a guestimate by Tekade. They often offer this kind of pre-sale
Yes, exactly.
Tekade is pretty serious and they do this to build a priority shipping list from early preorders (which can be cancelled anyway).
Their price (1500€) is a price Tekade is already able to promise delivery for. The actual price they will ship preorders will (most likely) be lower than this. They charge credit card the day of delivery only