Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2009, 09:32 PM   #571
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It sure is all over the place! Wish I had the time to read every page

I still can't believe that overnight, this thread saw more views than Ben's "Something interesting...really" thread. Now all we have to do is wait for an official announcement of the K7D, or whatever they'll be calling it.
I'll bump up that thread when this new camera comes out. Can't have the most famous thread in these forums go down.

04-20-2009, 09:35 PM   #572
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Gus Quote
I think it's only a matter of time. The more the concept is perfected the more we're going to use it, and I'm guessing it'll soon be a requirement, not a nice-to-have option. It's almost similar to the film vs digital debate in the early days. I know, it's not the same, I'm only referring to technology adoption here. Once digital was able to deliver, it became a no-brainer.

The media is undeniably changing and I'm sure there's increasing demand for better hybrids especially that we now have easier means to use and publish video.

On the home user level, who wouldn't want a camera that does everything and does it well?

You are correct when it comes to the home level, and i defiantely see it being utilized much more in the photojournalistic and dare i say "paparrazzo" fields, but a DSLR will never take the place of a professional film making camera (35mm, 16mm or digital), cmeras that are designed and built specifically for FILMMAKING, like Movies, commercials, and Music Videos. Red has the right approach with their modular systems they are developing with the Scarlett and Epic SYSTEMS
04-20-2009, 09:35 PM   #573
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote

Here's another saying: You get what you pay for
you must be a Mac user....
04-20-2009, 09:38 PM   #574
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Enc0der Quote
I'm comparing the K200 (and K20) with the D80 and D300.
I have tried the four of them.

The Pentax cameras have a much much slower AF, you can try to turn this around all you want, but this is a fact.
The D80 can focus instantly, while in the same condition the K20 takes its time and waste me something like 1 second because it locks the focus.

This is very, very, very annoying in some situations.

I'm not saying that Pentax have bad cameras, they have great cameras with great features, some of them cannot be found even on the highest models of canonikon (like build it SR).
However, ignoring the fact that the AF is very slow compared to anything else - is silly and will get you nowhere...
He didn't say that there's no appreciable difference, only not as big as you guys make it to be.

It probably also comes down to personal experiences and biases, but I wouldn't put down sezme's judgment so easily, since he owns a D700 and K10D.

Last edited by vinzer; 04-20-2009 at 09:56 PM.
04-20-2009, 09:50 PM   #575
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
Here's another saying: You get what you pay for
Well, seeing how I got the K20D for $700, I got a whole lot more than what I would pay for a D300 ($1500) today. I'm sorry if I don't like to make a whole lot of stink at MSRP prices vis-a-vis features because I'm not as anxious to upgrade ASAP.

I do agree that whatever improvements Pentax has made to the AF system, they should at least name it SAFOX IX. Like you mentioned, even doing just that changes the impression of buyers and reviewers. But I really don't expect the AF to be at the same class as the D3 or 1D-series. Improved, but not class-beating.

I really don't have a saying to share, but just one word: "Patience". Much ado being made out of speculations. Until we have the official announcement out, we really don't know anything, even pricing.

Last edited by vinzer; 04-20-2009 at 09:56 PM.
04-20-2009, 10:27 PM   #576

Most interesting thing in this conversation is that many of us are speaking about what "better" features other brands have and what features would sell best. Very few are writing about what features they NEED...

From my point of view:
- more fps; not needed, present fps is enough for me
- "better" AF; not needed, present one is enough quick for my purposes
- buffering; havent met the restrictions of existing one... so not needed
- battery life; you allways shoud anyway have two full batteries, existing capacity has been enough so far
- build; What? cant see anything lacks in existing k20D build...
- VF; 100% .92x viewfinder please (D300 dont have it either...) or even better, 100%, 1,5x (obviously not possible :-)
- configurability; dont know what flaws existing set up has, so far it has been enough for me
- Live View; no thank you, better OVF, please
- LCD; nice to have, not necessarily needed, all what should be done, can be done with existing one
- GPS; yes please
- WiFi support with Live View feed; as far as i know I will not have any use for this
- max shutter; I dont use even existing shortest times....
- flash sync; 1/180 has been enough for my very rare flash shooting.
- metering; dont know what wrong is in existing solution? but I have learnt to shoot in manual metering era, and so knowing/learning what kind of results metering gives you in certain situations and correcting accordingly has been must. I havent met foolproof autoeverything solution yet. ;-)
- wireless flash capability; existing one has been so far enough for me
- physical controls; cant see any flaws in existing set up (K20D), just that it is better than several competitors have.
- Mirror Lockup; yes please
- weather seals, must for me
- SR; yes please, almost must have
04-20-2009, 10:38 PM   #577
Veteran Member

hot off the press,
yes its the Pentax K30D
and i got only 12 to start off the launch
its got all the features we have been complaining and wanting for and lots, lots more
send me money orders for $3500 us currency and i will ship it to you right away

Dave

04-20-2009, 10:46 PM   #578
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think this camera is going to be an enthusiast’s camera first and foremost.

Do not expect to use this camera to photograph the next Grey Cup, or Super Bowl, or La Coupe Stanley. Pentax is leaving that to the Pro bodies that you can buy from Canon and Nikon.

This camera is for the photographer that loves the art and the hobby of photography.

This camera is the gear the pro-sports photog uses when his D3 and AF-S 24-70/2.8 is just too heavy to take on that camping trip, or walk around town, or to the museum.

Pentax has said over and over this camera will be something different. What other company has a camera specifically for the guy/gal that wants the absolute best gear to enjoy photography with? Leica maybe? Hey Leica, look out here comes pentax.

As for the sensor size. I doubt this will be an APS-C sensor. I am expecting either a square 23.5 x 23.5 sensor, or APS-H. I think the square sensor is the more likely.

The cost of FF lenses has jumped in all markets except the USA. I expect the cost in this market will jump also, but not as much as in the markets like Canada, Australia, the EC, where we have the big taxes and import duties. VAT anyone? This will allow Pentax's largest market to have some of the best prices, without us rotten Canadians importing from south of the border.

My point is that they cranked up the price of the lenses they expect will be in the biggest demand. Don't have the 31 ltd yet? you will after this camera.

So, I expect a square sensor. A sensor that can use the entire sensor for most of the lens line-up, but not all. As for the "but the lens hood is the wrong shape" people, expect to be able to buy new lens hoods. I expect the sensor pixel density to be very close to the K20D. So maybe 20 mp's or so? So no lost resolution when you use the 21 ltd in cropped mode.

And finally, this is what I think Pentax means when they hinted that the next camera will not be a continuation of the K20D line, and that it will be very special. Didn't one of the translated Pentax interviews say this camera will be the "one you want to take to bed"?

Anyhow the suspense is killing me. But I did manage to find to time to take some photos at the park tonight. For what I was doing dragging a D3 around would have sucked.
04-20-2009, 10:53 PM   #579
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Harald Quote
Most interesting thing in this conversation is that many of us are speaking about what "better" features other brands have and what features would sell best. Very few are writing about what features they NEED...

From my point of view:
- more fps; not needed, present fps is enough for me
- "better" AF; not needed, present one is enough quick for my purposes
- buffering; havent met the restrictions of existing one... so not needed
- battery life; you allways shoud anyway have two full batteries, existing capacity has been enough so far
- build; What? cant see anything lacks in existing k20D build...
- VF; 100% .92x viewfinder please (D300 dont have it either...) or even better, 100%, 1,5x (obviously not possible :-)
- configurability; dont know what flaws existing set up has, so far it has been enough for me
- Live View; no thank you, better OVF, please
- LCD; nice to have, not necessarily needed, all what should be done, can be done with existing one
- GPS; yes please
- WiFi support with Live View feed; as far as i know I will not have any use for this
- max shutter; I dont use even existing shortest times....
- flash sync; 1/180 has been enough for my very rare flash shooting.
- metering; dont know what wrong is in existing solution? but I have learnt to shoot in manual metering era, and so knowing/learning what kind of results metering gives you in certain situations and correcting accordingly has been must. I havent met foolproof autoeverything solution yet. ;-)
- wireless flash capability; existing one has been so far enough for me
- physical controls; cant see any flaws in existing set up (K20D), just that it is better than several competitors have.
- Mirror Lockup; yes please
- weather seals, must for me
- SR; yes please, almost must have
Are you serious? What you just layed out is a very narrow photographic path. Let me guess, you are a lanscape photographer, yes? Just because certain things dont apply to your style and or business model, does not mean other people can find benefits in many if not all of the points already discussed. What makes Pentax great is the near infinite Lens possibilites, what would be really great is mixing some great LEGENDARY lenses with modern technologies and capabilities, otherwise why arent you shooting film?

EDIT: and the comment for film is not a dig, I still shoot film for any stills i cant feasibly do with a digital camera
04-20-2009, 11:12 PM   #580
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=Harald;565721]Most interesting thing in this conversation is that many of us are speaking about what "better" features other brands have and what features would sell best. Very few are writing about what features they NEED...

Well said
K10/20D is fantastic cameras
so stop harping about a camera that does not exist and enjoy the one you have

Dave
04-20-2009, 11:22 PM   #581
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I've heard that crop 1.3 would be only for VIDEO and for FA, DFA, M, K, A lenses.
And new camera will be with APS-H sensor (but not classis ratio)
Are you serious?
We have heard this rumor many times before.
Do you have a reliable source?

What do you mean with "APS-H sensor (but not classis ratio)"?

Classical APS-H is 30,2 mm × 16,7 mm = ratio 16:9.

I don't buy it.
Pentax already said that the new sensor will be a "modified" K20 sensor.

Last edited by blende8; 04-20-2009 at 11:46 PM.
04-20-2009, 11:49 PM   #582

QuoteOriginally posted by spence.nicholson Quote
Are you serious? What you just layed out is a very narrow photographic path. Let me guess, you are a lanscape photographer, yes? Just because certain things dont apply to your style and or business model, does not mean other people can find benefits in many if not all of the points already discussed. What makes Pentax great is the near infinite Lens possibilites, what would be really great is mixing some great LEGENDARY lenses with modern technologies and capabilities, otherwise why arent you shooting film?

EDIT: and the comment for film is not a dig, I still shoot film for any stills i cant feasibly do with a digital camera
Well, yes, as an hobbyist I do have limited and narrow path.
Why I should care what others needs are? Cant care less. We all buy our equipments according our own requirements, right?

I think that with that specification I painted an picture of very basic late film era pro-class body features, weather resistance, basic interface, all needed basic features among them good viewfinder, mirror lockup etc. and quality implementation, no gimmics, no bells and whistles. Just emphasis in reliability, useability and picture quality.

And I think I am not alone in the Pentax world with these specs as an decision criteria for buying. Pentax has been quite long time an demanding hobbyist brand and would like it to stay as one.

applauses-- yes, I am an landscape photographer, among all (pssst, isnt it obvious if my site is Sceneries as I have seen them | Scenery.fi

Well, I am shooting film, too. Just yesterday developed an full tank of Ektar 100.
04-21-2009, 12:29 AM   #583
Veteran Member

why are we spaculating?????

We don't need wasting time doing that!!!
All will be revealed sooner or later.. Only if we know the specs AND the actual pricing on release will we be able to tell if it is dirt cheap for what it does of horribly expensive... Now, go out and shoot or something even more usefull..
Sell your wife, your kids, you mother in law so you can actually buy this camera...
No, don't sell your pets, you need fast moving subjects to test AF...
04-21-2009, 01:10 AM   #584

I copy here a little article I posted in my blog, as I think it might interest some of you:

"According to information published in Spanish site DSLRMagazine (a very respected site), the new, upper range dSLR camera from Pentax (K7D, although the name is not confirmed at this time) is being currently subjected to beta testing. Here I translate the main content of that article.

It will be a APS-C camera, in order to remain compatible with the current line of lenses. Besides, it will have the possibility of using (with adaptor) the new lenses developed to the forthcoming Pentax 645 Digital (medium format). Among them, the Pentax-D 645 55 mm f/2.8.
Other informations that seem to be clear: the new K7D will be the top of the line and will have a optical glass pentaprism (via Hoya), upper LCD and dial to choose professional modes, with central lock. There will be no built-in flash (as shown in the picture shown in the previous entry of this blog) .

Besides, it might incorporate one of the most interesting patents from Pentax, i.e., the possibility of showing simultaneously, on the optical viewfinder, information about other functions, such as live histogram or even... Live-View and video with the mirror lockup!!

The article is written by Michael Wardson and I thank him and DSLR Magazine (a web magazine devoted to photography, run by the very reputed photograph Valentín Sama) for the very interesting hints."
04-21-2009, 01:14 AM   #585
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nufenstein Quote
just a random note about the price point for the US market...

Tekade also lists the 15mm limited @ 679 euros...or roughly $875 US

Adorama is selling this lens for $579....about a 33% discount from the European site...

If we use the same logic...I anticipate this camera will come in around $1,300 US...roughly the same as the k20d when it was released....

lift the embargo!!
European prices do include VAT (that is variable from country to country from 16 to 20% - in Italy it's 19, for example), while I believe that American prices don't include tax sales. Please correct me if I am mistaken (for the USA part).