Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2009, 05:29 AM   #616

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
What are the advantages of not having an internal flash?

- Teeny weeny size and weight saving?

Versus the advantages

- Having a flash with you all the time (even if it isn't as powerful as an external unit its still more powerful than no flash at all!)
- For controlling flashes wirelessly

Why would Pentax not include a flash? Cost saving? Surely this offset by the fact that many people won't by a camera without an onboard flash.
I'd buy the camera without a flash. and either use wireless triggers or hot shoe mounted flash gun to trigger OCF's. (off camera flashes)

cant understand why someone would go to so much trouble to set up various OCF's and then ruin the shot by using the on board flash, straight on, un-diffused onto the subject matter.
if you settng up OCF's then you should at least be conscience of your light ratios - assuming thats why you set them up in the first place - then to compliment your effect you should ideally be using bounced or diffused light from a flash gun, not the pop up flash.

a PC sync socket is far more versatile and useful for my needs than the pop up flash that i never use.

04-21-2009, 05:32 AM   #617
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
Won't make much of a difference indeed, but could make the design of the top of the body a lot easier, since making an internal flash that sticks out high enough to avoid red eyes as much as possible means making the top relatively long.

It is practical to have a fill-in flash without extra carrying, but not as conventient as you may suggest. I only use it as a fill-in in combination with my primes, as I'm only sure with those lenses that the flash won't be blocked by the hood of the lens. My other frequently used lenses (the DA* zooms) are not compatible.

Indeed, but the optical triggering system is far from perfect. Often I find the built-in flash not powerful enough for the remote flashes to pick up its signal. I have abandoned using it altogether and rely on a Cactus trigger for all remote flash work now. That requires a full manual setup, but this is needed anyway in most cases.

I guess since Pentax were the first to make a SLR with a built-in flash (the SFX) they have the right to remove it again?

But I guess they won't. I'm counting on an internal flash.

Wim
I understand what you are saying but I still think the pros outweigh the cons for most potential buyers.
04-21-2009, 05:33 AM   #618
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
Won't make much of a difference indeed, but could make the design of the top of the body a lot easier, since making an internal flash that sticks out high enough to avoid red eyes as much as possible means making the top relatively long.

It is practical to have a fill-in flash without extra carrying, but not as conventient as you may suggest. I only use it as a fill-in in combination with my primes, as I'm only sure with those lenses that the flash won't be blocked by the hood of the lens. My other frequently used lenses (the DA* zooms) are not compatible.
Please try, you'd be surprised... I must admit I have not tried the 50-135 bit I have used on board flas on 16-50. Tamron 18-250 and Tamron 28-75. If you remove the hood the on borad flash can be used without shadow on all but the widest FL's, 28-75 can be used almost all over the entire range

QuoteOriginally posted by digital_aspirin Quote
If there is no flash there might be a built in flash radio transmitter , and a new Pentax flash receiver accessory. That would be great.
oh noo, another small thingy I am likely to loose
04-21-2009, 05:33 AM   #619

QuoteOriginally posted by digital_aspirin Quote
If there is no flash there might be a built in flash radio transmitter , and a new Pentax flash receiver accessory. That would be great.
+100000

that would be super great !!!

04-21-2009, 05:40 AM   #620
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
Please try, you'd be surprised... I must admit I have not tried the 50-135 bit I have used on board flas on 16-50. Tamron 18-250 and Tamron 28-75. If you remove the hood the on borad flash can be used without shadow on all but the widest FL's, 28-75 can be used almost all over the entire range
Well... I belong to the school of thought that believes the hood should never come off a lens...

Wim
04-21-2009, 05:41 AM   #621
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by StephenG Quote
I'd buy the camera without a flash. and either use wireless triggers or hot shoe mounted flash gun to trigger OCF's. (off camera flashes)

cant understand why someone would go to so much trouble to set up various OCF's and then ruin the shot by using the on board flash, straight on, un-diffused onto the subject matter.
if you settng up OCF's then you should at least be conscience of your light ratios - assuming thats why you set them up in the first place - then to compliment your effect you should ideally be using bounced or diffused light from a flash gun, not the pop up flash.

a PC sync socket is far more versatile and useful for my needs than the pop up flash that i never use.
I have a K10D, and my build-in flash is ducktapped so it will not pop-up by accident..... Hate the damn thing!!
04-21-2009, 05:42 AM   #622
Veteran Member

I just finished a shoot today and it kills me that a good number of shots were front focusing in TUNGSTEN light! Please please please Pentax fix this in the upcoming body

04-21-2009, 05:46 AM   #623
Veteran Member

K7D has built-in flash

Irrespective of whether built-in flash is something to be wanted ...

We already know it has built-in flash.

The attached photo clearly shows it and rumors about not having it only came from the third blurred photo which seemed to lack any indication for it.

A repeated carefull evaluation of this third blurred photo (after deblurring and high gamma correction) actually shows the seam for flash even in this photo.

Additionally, photos #1 and #3 show the flash pop-up button at the location where it is for K20D. And photo #1 clearly showed the seam at the side wall. After all, the anniversairy K10D shows how a flash-less prism housing meant for retro style ought to look like: Obviously, compromises have been made to incorporate the flash...

I sincerely think we can cease to discuss the flash issue at this point. It has one.

Last edited by falconeye; 06-15-2011 at 05:28 AM.
04-21-2009, 06:03 AM   #624
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The D300 has a 1.0x viewfinder and a built-in flash and is pretty much identical in size to the D200.

You may think its obvious but it clearly isn't.
it Ali depends on space constraints. How large/long is d300 prism compared to this k7d ? If about the same size, indeed no reason to ditch the flash.
04-21-2009, 06:07 AM   #625
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
It would be a pity but for me it is an acceptable tradeoff if this OVF/EVF is true.

Well that's exactly what a recent patent was all about.
Mmmh, indeed, I remember this patent.

If I remember well, the patent was about a "normal OVF" plus a small screen located inside the OVF housing (on the upper part).

When the mirror is down, you get your classical OVF and when the mirror is up, it reflects the LCD screen through the VF, thus becoming and EVF. Is that it?

That could indeed explain why the VF is taller on the new cam... interesting.

It could be handy when manual focusing if the appropriate magification is implemented (ie not the one on the K20D LV).
04-21-2009, 06:08 AM   #626
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The D300 has a 1.0x viewfinder
It has a 100% viewfinder, but it's only 0,94x.

An APS-C camera needs to have a larger than 1.0x viewfinder to match the viewfinder of an FF camera. A 100% 1.11x VF should match the A900 viewfinder, I think.
04-21-2009, 06:24 AM   #627
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
It has a 100% viewfinder, but it's only 0,94x.

An APS-C camera needs to have a larger than 1.0x viewfinder to match the viewfinder of an FF camera. A 100% 1.11x VF should match the A900 viewfinder, I think.
Yep, they need to do what Olympus did with the E3 and make it 1.15x magnification if they are not going to make full frame cameras. The viewfinder advantages FF offers is what made me switch to Nikon; not the IQ bonuses FF offers. I'll happily come running back if they can make a view finder as good as the D700's for an APS-C sensor.
04-21-2009, 06:36 AM   #628
Veteran Member

Viewfinder Physics

QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
Yep, they need to do what Olympus did with the E3 and make it 1.15x magnification if they are not going to make full frame cameras. The viewfinder advantages FF offers is what made me switch to Nikon; not the IQ bonuses FF offers. I'll happily come running back if they can make a view finder as good as the D700's for an APS-C sensor.
The Physics is the larger the finder magnification, the dimmer it will be.

To compensate for the light "loss", then the focusing screen needed to make brighter. To make it brighter, the focusing screen will have greater DoF then it should be. The worse is stopped down or wide open metering will be wrong (over/under). And after all of these, everything will be wrong! :-(

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: When the Focusing Screen Lies - Part 2
04-21-2009, 06:44 AM   #629
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Expected silence

Hey, Hello Richardday, ISTeve, BEN!!! What happened to you. Oh! NDA so much obliged.

Rui

ps: Hi Ben, your previous record blown to pieces,
04-21-2009, 06:52 AM   #630

I have to agree with RiceHigh about the viewfinders. You can't have a ff viewfinder on an aps-c camera.