Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2009, 06:14 AM   #721
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Hmm. viewfinder does not seem so big here.....

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
Yeah, sure that's very true. Especially in the case of SR. I am more sceptical as to how much importance is placed on weathersealing by most people though - especially when Pentax's current sealed lenses are so expensive compared to their unsealed ones.
So, they (we) need a cheaper range of sealed lenses as well... If the ruggedness Hoya looks for really happes , they will come sooner rather than later. But first, they want to sel a few more expensive sealed lenses...

I think SR is definately a "I'd pay more for" feature but weathersealing is more of a "it'd tip the balance in favour of" feature. If you follow me.
I follow you but I also disagree... For me it would be the other way round...

I think I may have said on Dpreview (rather than here) that a metal chassis would go a long way in allowing Pentax to charge a lot more for the K7 than Nikon does for the D90. Producing a camera with professional fit and finish would help compensate for more pedestrian specifications compared to its same-price rivals. But as you say we have no evidence of thise from the current photographs.
You may be right but then you'd pay for looks....
It would sell no doubt but it would be the same as people buying FF because of the "wannahave value"(probably a large partof the FF buyres), or Canon "because I see them everywhere so they must be good".

And, just in case you are wondering: why is he posting instead of out taking pics???
Err, I am at work....

04-22-2009, 06:28 AM   #722
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
I follow you but I also disagree... For me it would be the other way round...
Ditto, SR/IS can be useful at times but not as much as it is touted to be.

Weathersealing on the other hand makes for better quality bodies and is a big plus IMO.
04-22-2009, 06:45 AM   #723
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
Hmm. viewfinder does not seem so big here.....
On the other hand, I compared it with a K10D picture, and the "shoulders" of the camera are also higher than on the K10D, so the top of the viewfinder sits significantly higher. The camera is not as wide as the K10D.
04-22-2009, 06:55 AM   #724
Veteran Member

Reconstructed K7D, from ogl's image. Seems to be rather high (or compact).

(I completed the mount's ring (**) and added the typical body space below it.)
--
** it isn't an exact ring form because there is a slight angle from above. So, the actual height will be marginally less.

Last edited by falconeye; 06-15-2011 at 05:28 AM.
04-22-2009, 07:00 AM   #725
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
Yes, exactly.

If you read the profile of the poster for the source of information, here, just two days ago he even has not known the TekaDe Ad for preorders and was still asking if the new Pentax is a FF or not. But suddenly he has known everything about the new cam and made his post!

So, why you guys took his words (so) seriously?? :-0
04-22-2009, 07:02 AM   #726
Veteran Member

things to do:

1. move to a 1 BDR apartment

2. pay credit balance

3. buy the NEW K
04-22-2009, 07:13 AM   #727
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Reconstructed K7D, from ogl's image. Seems to be rather high (or compact).

(I completed the mount's ring (**) and added the typical body space below it.)
--
** it isn't an exact ring form because there is a slight angle from above. So, the actual height will be marginally less.
Wow, looks tiny when you scale the lens mount to the same size as this K20D image. Looks more like a small body for the limited lenses (finally).

Attached Images

04-22-2009, 07:28 AM   #728
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

Looks a bit strange, if you ask me.
Perhaps more like this?

04-22-2009, 07:33 AM   #729
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
Wow, looks tiny when you scale the lens mount to the same size as this K20D image. Looks more like a small body for the limited lenses (finally).
Although the specs have yet to be released -- and until then we can only speculate -- it seems to me like this new K could be the perfect "back up" camera for a working professional photographer. Maybe not the top of the line as far as specs go, but small and rugged, and able to offer alternative features to the D700, Mark II, or Sony A900 you're lugging around. And if this is the case, it would also be a great main camera for an advanced amateur, or a street or art shooter who doesn't want to draw too much attention to themself.

If it's priced competitively and marketed well, I think it could be very popular.
04-22-2009, 07:38 AM   #730
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
Although the specs have yet to be released -- and until then we can only speculate -- it seems to me like this new K could be the perfect "back up" camera for a working professional photographer..
Only problem with that is Pentax would also need to produce a pro-grade body (if this isn't one, we have no idea yet). I've yet to see a pro carrying a back up camera of a different brand then their main camera.

All that aside, seeing as how I'm not a pro I don't really care. If this camera has a LARGE view finder and is constructed to match the limited lenses it will be the perfect camera for amateurs like myself (or even some photo journalist that want less bulk).
04-22-2009, 07:46 AM   #731
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
Only problem with that is Pentax would also need to produce a pro-grade body (if this isn't one, we have no idea yet). I've yet to see a pro carrying a back up camera of a different brand then their main camera.

All that aside, seeing as how I'm not a pro I don't really care. If this camera has a LARGE view finder and is constructed to match the limited lenses it will be the perfect camera for amateurs like myself (or even some photo journalist that want less bulk).
Good point about the single brand users. I just remember reading reviews of the K10D where it was described as a great backup camera and thought this would be even more true of this new model.

Most photojournalists I know don't seem to mind the bulk (as evidenced by the hefty Canon stuff they all tote around) However, in my limited experience using Pentax for photojournalism, I would agree that less bulk = a great benefit.
04-22-2009, 07:46 AM   #732
Veteran Member

I've been playing in auto cad (yes, Im' bored @ work) Outline of new K is green. Measures are in milimeters.

04-22-2009, 07:58 AM   #733
Veteran Member

Taking the perspective into account, it seems to me the viewfinder isn't that big. It looks roughly the same size as the K20D's one.

The front picture of the K7 was shot from slightly above the camera, while the K20D it is compared to was shot right in the front of the mount.
04-22-2009, 07:58 AM   #734

Nice work Matjazz!

So looks like we're going for a camera smaller in width and depth than the K20D body.
04-22-2009, 08:00 AM   #735
Forum Member

So now we can say for sure that the camera is at least smaller in width, and height (the angle makes it appear a bit taller but if you remove perspective it is a bit shorter). Not sure on this choice, I loved my K20s size and naturally assumed its big brother would be well... bigger. I have average size hands and they felt very good on my K20, but smaller cameras like the K-100 felt wrong to me. I also really enjoy the size and weight of my 5dmkII but Canon has always made its pro bodies huge.

There is nothing wrong with making a smaller camera, and it should fill a niche extremely well, and I am excited for Pentax if they can capitalize on that. I on the other hand feel a little heartbroken because smaller size is something that does not appeal to me, especially when shooting larger lenses. Perhaps the grip will make everything right in the world and I am questioning all this for no reason.

Also as someone else pointed out the VF seems very normal here and if anything a bit condensed.

Which means I was wrong about FF for sure, and APS-H (yeah i know the I told you so's are coming).

Assuming Samsung and Pentax have upgraded the old sensor with current tech then we might be able to expect noise levels 1.5 to 2 times as clean as the K20D. I figure the D300 is a full stop better but has less pixels, and technology has added another stop improvement since then. So more than likely a native range of 100-6400iso with results at 6400 on par with 2000 on the k20d. Not bad I suppose.

Dynamic range also has some potential, given current tech we could see an extra stop to two stops gained here, unless pentax does something radical.

Movie mode I am hoping will be 720p, Pentax is using a smaller sensor and has no current video experience beyond its P&S series. Canon on the other hand has already pushed out one DSLR with video mode and has been making video cameras for decades, and they still were not able to get 1080p 24fps out of the 500D. So I would rather see silky smooth well thought out 720p video at a full 24fps.

From the K10d to the K20d Pentax was able to push the data throughput up about 33% because of the larger sensor this was equal to roughly the same FPS, so if we assume they make the same level of improvement but leave us with a 14-15mp sensor then we are in the 4-4.5FPS ball park. More than I will ever need.

SR will probably get very close to 3.5-4 stops of usability as well making it on par with the best in lens offerings, we see SR improve with every body and I see no reason for Pentax to have stopped work here.

Nothing incredibly special here on its own, but all packed into one well built body with some Pentax lenses and this is a special camera. So far the only thing the pictures have really shown us is that video mode will be there, this is no real surprise. The camera also appears to be slightly smaller. Previous speculation on the larger VF seems to have fizzled down a bit wit this latest picture. I also feel like the small size rules out the possibility of this being a square format camera simply because there would be no need for a grip with such a camera.

What we can be left to wonder about is the lcd, the mystery button (probably just iso), green button location, grip, sensor manufacturer, and whether or not they changed the AF system.