Has anyone answered he question??
Is this pic of K30D.
The answer is NO!!!!
its the K-7

04-26-2009, 10:49 AM   #1202
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Good Call, Steelski. The thread is now closed

Personally, I can't wait until we start getting some real info about the guts of this camera. From the pictures we can gather some information about the usability of this camera, but nothing about the image recording capability. I hope that it isn't just a K20D with movie mode and a lot of usability enhancements (e.g., bigger and brighter viewfinder and LCD, ISO button, smaller, lighter, etc.). It will probably be a while before we learn how this camera will compare to the K20D in terms of ISO range, color fidelity, dynamic range, and so forth.
04-26-2009, 10:55 AM   #1203

QuoteOriginally posted by Slowpoke Rodriguez Quote
I hope that it isn't just a K20D with movie mode and a lot of usability enhancements.
I WISH it is something more, but it will probably be not. Anyway, to me apart from keeping my interest high, it has greatly restored my faith to the brand.
The fact that Pentax is not dying, it is not even sleeping, means more to me than a new camera with video and 5fps. It means that my investment in Pentax gear and my commitment to the brand was not a waste.
04-26-2009, 11:35 AM   #1204
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I guess that SR could be switch ON/OF automatically. What do you think?
You already "told" us that SR would have to be switched off inside a menu...now you're asking our opinions?

Fail.
QuoteOriginally posted by Slowpoke Rodriguez Quote
Personally, I can't wait until we start getting some real info about the guts of this camera. From the pictures we can gather some information about the usability of this camera, but nothing about the image recording capability. I hope that it isn't just a K20D with movie mode and a lot of usability enhancements (e.g., bigger and brighter viewfinder and LCD, ISO button, smaller, lighter, etc.). It will probably be a while before we learn how this camera will compare to the K20D in terms of ISO range, color fidelity, dynamic range, and so forth.
Besides the different body set up (prism housing, grip, buttons, et al), it will, for all intents and purposes, be an upgraded K20 since the money is on the same Samsung sensor.

If it had a new chassis, and a different sensor, then I would consider it "different." Since the "heart" is the same (although at a higher level, above the K20)...there's my opinion.

Since they're not cramming more MP onto the sensor (think Canon 50D), I can only see it getting better with refinements

04-26-2009, 12:19 PM   #1205
Veteran Member

I wonder if there is something why none of the leaked pics show any of the camera back/rear side. Only the one showing different location of "play"/review button.

P.S. How where from is the weight given here:
Pentax K-7 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Btw, just saw some funny versions of camera names which reminded me all the wild speculations (like square sensors) found in here:
http://www.chassimages.com/forum/index.php/topic,46643.0.html
K-anon, K-rate.
Made me think, if they continue this naming, will there be a K-9 kit including a dog to shoot.

Last edited by ytterbium; 04-26-2009 at 12:25 PM.
04-26-2009, 12:24 PM   #1206
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
I know Sune, I replied the same day...
But I see there's another reply in there in the mean time... Thanks for pointing it out!!
Wim
Yup, had been waiting for you to pick it up
It is an awesome picture, which you should be very proud of. Thanks for the additional explanation. (I of cause had to leave another answer as well )

QuoteOriginally posted by Adrian Owerko Quote
For most people Clean ISO @ 6400 is all you will ever need, unless you are shooting a wedding in the dark.. The K7 specs if true would make the perfect wedding camera.. If the Dynamic range and sensitivity are improved on the K20D sensor.. If the + 6fsp... AF lamp, HD video are true. Small form factor.. The Gap between APS-C & FF are a lot smaller these days! Not just in size.. Were as there is a big size & performance difference between FF & Medium Format.. Back in the films days, 35mm was the amateur format., medium format is what the PRO photog used! When I do a wedding I don't want to carry a 5D / D700 brick..I know a lot of working Pro's complain about this they say the 5D & D700 are great cameras but are to big! Only if they could make it smaller! For field work! I like Pentax's thinking in regards to this.. APS-C is a good balance between size and performance.. With APS-C You can make a camera that is near the same size and weight as what a 35mm film camera is..

Good points. I would really prefer a high performance cam in a small package as well. Many times, even a D300, D700, or Eos 5D; would be too big and cumbersome.
And should I need larger, it is always possible to add grip to an upcoming K7, or also have a K10/K20/K30 size camera.

I love the form factor of the K-m, but it is just a little lacking. Think this K7 would be great.

Fun picture too, know the feeling
04-26-2009, 02:26 PM   #1207
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ytterbium Quote
. . .

P.S. How where from is the weight given here:
Pentax K-7 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

. . .
This is targed for deletion by Wikipedia!

04-26-2009, 05:13 PM   #1208
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
i don't disagree with you. for me personally, they already had me at "smaller K20" (the essentially confirmed AF assist lamp is already bonus enough for me.).

the issue is that the long gap between the early leaks and drawn out announcement date has opened up room for ever wilder and wilder expectations. this will only mean proportionally more disappointment at the eventual announcement.

i don't remember any leaks from other camera brands that have been this early. others have usually timed their announcements to the height of interest from a leak, intentional or otherwise. this is why i believe Pentax should move up their announcement and strike while interest is high and expectations remain relatively realistic.

for instance, how long would they expect this thread to keep going? it's already long run its course.
Yeah, I see where you're coming from, but I do think someone over at Pentax simply couldn't wait and started leaking info that weren't supposed to be leaked yet. And Pentax very well may not be ready to release the camera sooner since it might still be doing final testing, so they also can't rush the camera into production.

It's sad that the fever pitch we've had may not be sustained up until late May, but I'd rather they take the time to perfect the camera instead of rushing it while the iron's hot, so to speak, and then get negative backlash about possible banding, wonky AF, etc.

I really do think the buzz can be recreated again once the announce date nears and more so when the camera itself is announced. I'm pretty sure a lot will still be disappointed and whine about stuff (most likely sensor size, AF, and FPS in that order), but at least the camera's fully ready (and 99% bug-free) for those willing to take the plunge.
04-26-2009, 05:18 PM   #1209
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mutedphotos Quote
But speaking of Sony and the possibility of an AF assist lamp on the K-7 (and this may be a little OT), whatever happened with the laser grid assists that Sony use to implement? I still use my old Sony F-828 from time to time, which has the laser grid feature, and I always loved it. Much less obtrusive than a bright light shining in your face (and no it wasn't a bright retina-searing laser). Most people never even noticed it, and it always worked well, even at fairly significant distances. I don't think even Sony uses this anymore though. Seems a pity to me.
Yeah, I had the chance to use a friend's Mavica with the same laser-assist feature (talk about ancient cameras! ), and thought it's a pretty neat concept. Maybe it was removed to reduce costs? I do recall digital cameras, even basic ones, being luxury items with premium pricing back then, so inevitably, some features will be tossed out in favor of cheaper substitutes (like the AF-assist lamp).

Or maybe some scientific research showed it has a detrimental effect on humans. Dunno.
04-26-2009, 06:54 PM   #1210
Inactive Account

I love the cosmetic styling of this soon to be released camera, but I'm much more interested about what's on the inside. My main hopes are for better AF-C performance, improved noise resistance, and more dynamic range than my K10D at least. Unfortunately it seems that the only major improvements might be in the first category. Then again, those in the know seem to be very excited about its release, so maybe it has some startling new features.

I'd absolutely love for it to be full-frame, and that would be my greatest hope, but I very highly doubt it will be. If it were and was released at around $2500, I would definitely get one shortly after release. However, given that it likely won't be full-frame, and that its price will be about the same as that of a NIB Canon 5D on ebay I will probably wait until Pentax finally does release a FF camera to upgrade. That is, unless this camera is an absolute home run. While I don't think that a FF sensor in my camera will automatically make my pictures better, I do think it allows for benefits that can't be matched in a smaller sensor camera, and it would be nice to have both avenues available.
04-26-2009, 09:01 PM   #1211

Photos: Albums
The K-7 will have class-leading contrast-detect AF, right?

The K-7 will have class-leading contrast-detect AF, right? After all, it shares the same sensor and presumably the same or very similar electronics as the upcoming Samsung NX. Have not some of the folks under NDA hinted at a new AF mode?

There is also the 30mm SDM lens that recently disappeared from the roadmap. We were told this was due to changes not related to the optical path. Could it become one of the first of a new class of Pentax lenses that support fast CD-AF?

This may be what was hinted at as anew area of cooperation between Pentax and Samsung. With Pentax lenses that fully support CD-AF it would make more sense to develop a K-mount adapter for the Samsung NX. This would open a new market for Pentax to sell lenses and would allow Samsung to more quickly offer a well- rounded system.
04-26-2009, 09:17 PM   #1212
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
Yeah, I see where you're coming from, but I do think someone over at Pentax simply couldn't wait and started leaking info that weren't supposed to be leaked yet. And Pentax very well may not be ready to release the camera sooner since it might still be doing final testing, so they also can't rush the camera into production.

It's sad that the fever pitch we've had may not be sustained up until late May, but I'd rather they take the time to perfect the camera instead of rushing it while the iron's hot, so to speak, and then get negative backlash about possible banding, wonky AF, etc.
no, i wouldn't release the camera until it is ready. only with the leaks out already, i'm saying they should've run up the announcement. Pentax shouldn't have a problem announcing the camera a bit early, just look at the 645D

two weeks from the first post on this thread and the fever pitch from the very coveted mainstream has now ended - and we still have four more weeks to go.
04-27-2009, 01:31 AM   #1213
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
Pentax shouldn't have a problem announcing the camera a bit early, just look at the 645D
There is nothing now which is known for 645D but isn't for K-7. Just that people having already received the press photos keep them private. As I assume that there must be hundreds of them, an astonishing thing in itself

Anyway, there aren't specs, neither for 645D nor for K-7. Just photos and conclusions derived from them, like sensor size (APS-C).
04-27-2009, 01:37 AM   #1214
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
PENTAX ESPAA

The date is changed to May, 18.
04-27-2009, 02:13 AM   #1215
Veteran Member

Dimensions of Pentax K-7 (corrected for RH values)

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
These are my new (and more accurate from better input) size estimates for K-7. Estimated to be exact +/- 2 mm:

............. K-m K200D K-7 K20D
Width [mm]: 122.5 133.5 130 142.0
Height [mm]: 91.5 _95.0 100 101.0
I consider the recent measurement by RH to be credible and accurate. So, here I update my size chart:

............. K-m K200D ..K-7 .K20D
Width [mm]: 122.5 133.5 130.5 142.0
Height [mm]: 91.5 _95.0 _96.0 101.0

The K200D width doesn't include the neck strap buckles either.

So, for the time being, we may conclude that K-7 has the size of the K200D, just 1 mm higher and 3 mm narrower.

Last edited by falconeye; 04-27-2009 at 02:44 AM. Reason: updated to reflect measurement by Erik