Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2009, 08:19 AM   #1246
Veteran Member

It is WR - weather resistant, not WP - Weather protected. You can swim with the Optio WP under the sea, but not so with the coming Pentax DSLR. But it will stand heavy rain, dust and sand storms and is washable. Just like the current K-serie of weather sealed DSLR's.

If you are a diver and wants to photograph the life deep down in the sea, you will still need extra protection for the camera and lenses.

Weather sealed budget lenses yes... and SDM too, for better AF in movie/live view mode.
And when I wrote it weeks ago it was said that the "new lens serie" was just about a change in colour schemes and no technical/mechanical change. Well well... Same optics, but still changes internally. Not only a change of colours..

04-27-2009, 08:21 AM   #1247
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Remember when the K20D came out.. most of the press photos featured the K20D and the DA* 16-50mm SDM Lens that's the only reason I though it might come with a better lens but anyway if it's sealed it'll do me for a while..

I can't wait to shoot some video with my DA* 50-135mm and try out videoing gigs with the 35mm or even my old 50mm f/1.7 that would be sweet! Should be just in times for my friends the JOE PUBLICs single launch in august!

I just dont see how the video can work well when zooming out from 18mm at f/3.5 to 55mm at f/5.6 but hopefully it'll be unnoticeable.. but in anycase this is better than any other offering out there a pro spec camera and WR lens in a compact offering! And it looks mighty good

Last edited by dopeytree; 04-27-2009 at 09:04 AM.
04-27-2009, 08:23 AM   #1248
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
no, i wouldn't release the camera until it is ready. only with the leaks out already, i'm saying they should've run up the announcement. Pentax shouldn't have a problem announcing the camera a bit early, just look at the 645D

two weeks from the first post on this thread and the fever pitch from the very coveted mainstream has now ended - and we still have four more weeks to go.
Well, let's blame that Windows Live dude, then, for being so excited and dropping blurrycam images earlier than it should have.

And no, I'd rather they not replicate the announcement of the 645D with all the starts and stops it has encountered.

But I'm okay with how everything turned out, still. At least we know Pentax wasn't just dozing around while the rest of the camera world has been busy. And it's interesting to see more than a thousand posts and 100+ thousand thread visits, all in 2 weeks, though reports have it that the German Pentax forum has an even more frenzied, similar thread.
04-27-2009, 08:26 AM   #1249
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
It is WR - weather resistant, not WP - Weather protected. You can swim with the Optio WP under the sea, but not so with the coming Pentax DSLR. But it will stand heavy rain, dust and sand storms and is washable. Just like the current K-serie of weather sealed DSLR's.

If you are a diver and wants to photograph the life deep down in the sea, you will still need extra protection for the camera and lenses.

Weather sealed budget lenses yes... and SDM too, for better AF in movie/live view mode.
And when I wrote it weeks ago it was said that the "new lens serie" was just about a change in colour schemes and no technical/mechanical change. Well well... Same optics, but still changes internally. Not only a change of colours..
Weather sealed budget lenses! Please let it be so!

I live in a tropical country, and rain can fall at any moment here (lately, even summer offers no respite), so I'm thankful for any sealing I can get.

04-27-2009, 08:33 AM   #1250
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
Weather sealed budget lenses! Please let it be so!

I live in a tropical country, and rain can fall at any moment here (lately, even summer offers no respite), so I'm thankful for any sealing I can get.
I would love WR in all my lenses especially in the limiteds! Most lenses will be fine in a bit of drizzle but in moist/damp/hot environment its nice to have peace of mind for things like being in the snow or a tropical jungle etc and it's a fab talking point thus selling point. The only thing I hate is the noise it makes..

Take a look at these to see how good the sealing is at present: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zooPXbWJis

http://www.slrclub.com/bbs/vx2.php?id=theme_gallery&no=1051327

Last edited by dopeytree; 04-27-2009 at 08:48 AM. Reason: added links
04-27-2009, 08:38 AM   #1251
Veteran Member

the more I read about this camera the more I think it will just be a pentax branded NX. The picture on that spanish pentax site doesn't make the penta-bump any higher than the one on my k100. Also with all this small body talk, I'll be disappointed if my pinkie has to rest under the camera again. It needs to be around 8-11mm taller than the k100 to be perfect. The only thing that goes against my thinking is the ~1500 euro price tag, since the k20 was around 1200 I believe. So either higher level camera or just higher price for new tech...
04-27-2009, 08:49 AM   #1252
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
IMHO, the inclusion of a movie mode on the mode dial, and a "LV" button on the back can only mean that the movie mode is not half-hearted like in the K20D. We *expect* Contrast Detect AF when using the Live View!
I don't know the specs. My personal guess however is this:
- 720p@24fps (HD video but not full HD)
- No contrast AF (Even Canon 5DmkII cannot focus while in video mode ...)
- Better info in Liveview
- Hopefully HDMI out so focus could be manually controlled on a control monitor
- Hopefully unlimited length
- Hopefully microphone plug socket (but so far, images lack evidence for this)

04-27-2009, 08:52 AM   #1253
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dave sz Quote
the more I read about this camera the more I think it will just be a pentax branded NX.
Wrong.....
04-27-2009, 08:58 AM   #1254
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
i don't know the specs. My personal guess however is this:
- 720p@24fps (hd video but not full hd)
- no contrast af (even canon 5dmkii cannot focus while in video mode ...)
- better info in liveview
- hopefully hdmi out so focus could be manually controlled on a control monitor
- hopefully unlimited length
- hopefully microphone plug socket (but so far, images lack evidence for this)
1920*1080
04-27-2009, 08:59 AM   #1255
Veteran Member

K20D launched and stayed at $1299 for a few months

K20D started out at $1299. I'd be surprised if K-7 started out for less than K20D did. why? K10D was $919 at launch. Alot of pentaxians have skipped k20D so I can see pentax starting higher than K20D did. Plus the long rumoured nikon aps-c flagship /hd video dslr D400 has a rumoured launch price of $1,999.

QuoteOriginally posted by dave sz Quote
the more I read about this camera the more I think it will just be a pentax branded NX. The picture on that spanish pentax site doesn't make the penta-bump any higher than the one on my k100. Also with all this small body talk, I'll be disappointed if my pinkie has to rest under the camera again. It needs to be around 8-11mm taller than the k100 to be perfect. The only thing that goes against my thinking is the ~1500 euro price tag, since the k20 was around 1200 I believe. So either higher level camera or just higher price for new tech...
04-27-2009, 09:06 AM   #1256
Veteran Member

We already know (from Tekade) that the likely lauch price will be
- around $1399.
- not higher than $1650.
04-27-2009, 09:07 AM   #1257
Veteran Member

http://edstonephotography.blogspot.com/2008/11/new-era.html

These three videos were all shot at 1920*1080 (Full HD)... I think now you can get excited about video on dslrs

They are best watched by clicking on the name which open up the link on vimeo and then click HD ON and watch in full screen
04-27-2009, 09:08 AM   #1258
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
1920*1080
Confirmed, or joke? Trying to read the -->

04-27-2009, 09:08 AM   #1259
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I don't know the specs. My personal guess however is this:
- 720p@24fps (HD video but not full HD)
- No contrast AF (Even Canon 5DmkII cannot focus while in video mode ...)
- Better info in Liveview
- Hopefully HDMI out so focus could be manually controlled on a control monitor
- Hopefully unlimited length
- Hopefully microphone plug socket (but so far, images lack evidence for this)
Based on the pics of the camera I have seen so far I think you''ll be happy. The K-7 is well equipped on the outside (mind you, I know no specs, but the pictures of it tell a lot), better than the Nikon D90.
04-27-2009, 09:13 AM   #1260
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Confirmed, or joke? Trying to read the -->

Somebody posted at RiceHigh blog