Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2009, 04:31 AM   #1531

QuoteOriginally posted by Erik Quote
If a white LED is "very annoying", I don't think there are enough adjectives in the English language to fully declare how excruciatingly, savagely, utterly PAINFUL the flash strobe is.
The difference is that the AF assist lamp is on long enough that people have time to start turning their heads and make what-are-you-doing-faces... (when doing candid event shots)

Anyway, I would prefer one over not having one. For portrait shoots, in low light (where the main light will some from the flash system), it's easier then to have to use a small flashlight to point at people... but I would of cause prefer that my camera could focus in low light without it...

04-30-2009, 05:37 AM   #1532
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
and the megathread rolls on....
Did you guys know that is what other sites are calling this thread.
I called it so as well

Maybe, you could use your Mod status and rename the thread's title to
"The K-7 mega thread"

The current thread title doesn't do justice to what is inside
04-30-2009, 06:03 AM   #1533

QuoteOriginally posted by Erik Quote
If a white LED is "very annoying", I don't think there are enough adjectives in the English language to fully declare how excruciatingly, savagely, utterly PAINFUL the flash strobe is.
Neither are usable if you don't have a fast way to switch it on or off. That''s why I stay with center point focus and ok-buttom to pre focus.
04-30-2009, 06:56 AM   #1534

Not sure if this was mentioned before..

According to this picture:

I think it's safe to assume that the K-7 does NOT have a tilt/swivel LCD as found on the Nikon D5000 for example. It looks pretty much built-in with no way out.

oh well..

04-30-2009, 08:09 AM   #1535
Veteran Member

So you want weather sealing, toughness and tilt & swivel lcd?
04-30-2009, 08:20 AM   #1536
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Torphoto Quote
So you want weather sealing, toughness and tilt & swivel lcd?
Yes, give me an Olympus E-3 with a K-mount and APS-C sensor.
04-30-2009, 08:30 AM   #1537
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Thanks.
Wonder what they will do the day, they might have followed it up with a K8 and K9 cam. I think they would continue with the K-DSLR series designation.
So maybe just K7 II, K7 III, etc.

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I don't know the specs. My personal guess however is this:
- 720p@24fps (HD video but not full HD)
- No contrast AF (Even Canon 5DmkII cannot focus while in video mode ...)
- Better info in Liveview
- Hopefully HDMI out so focus could be manually controlled on a control monitor
- Hopefully unlimited length
- Hopefully microphone plug socket (but so far, images lack evidence for this)

Video doesn't matter much to me. I would just get a dedicated cam for that, if I needed it.
But thanks for your input and work in the thread

QuoteOriginally posted by Roberts Quote
Where k7 name is used - K7 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Look at position #9
K7 mountain in Pakistan, Karakoum region. This will for sure call for a weathersealed and high performing package.
Oly E1 is the DSLR that has been the most times to Everest.

I made a post some time ago, about what people could want in a high-end DSLR:
regarding View Finder focus: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Or Limited edition cam :
Presenting : The Pentax Pancake limited edition cam: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
IMO the stroke of genius from Hoya would be to pool the most requested features by users in all groups not only the fans. One feature being present in the list makes even harder for a potential buyer to chose another product. I often wondered why LV in K20D doesn't get blasted on fora and reviews because IMO it's close to unusable. But it is there and on occasions it is perhaps better than nothing. For the average user I guess movie mode will be about the same and a competitive selling point since almost all new cameras have it.

Remember what Nikon did in 2007 launching D3 and D300 in parallel. They essentially distributed a lot of costs between much more cameras than only the high-end model. And D300 arguably sell 5 to 10 times more than the FF camera. So it would be stupid from Hoya to develop a new image processor that doesn't support video for example only to make another one for the K200D' successor some months latter.

I think that this model will not be *high end* but more like *premium mid range with some unique twists*. Pentax' high end range I hope it will be 645D + another smaller than MF sensor DSLR.

Radu

I think you could be right

QuoteOriginally posted by dopeytree Quote
I would love WR in all my lenses especially in the limiteds! Most lenses will be fine in a bit of drizzle but in moist/damp/hot environment its nice to have peace of mind for things like being in the snow or a tropical jungle etc and it's a fab talking point thus selling point. The only thing I hate is the noise it makes..

Take a look at these to see how good the sealing is at present: YouTube - gx10/k10d has a nice shower...

SLR?? ?????

Wild stuff !

QuoteOriginally posted by Votesh Quote
If Pentax released the specs for the K7 and they were impressive enough, I would absolutely wait. However, right now I'm in a position and place that I will be leaving on June 1st(seasonal biology job living on one of the few pieces of remaining, unplowed, tallgrass prairie in the world). There are many photographic opportunities I would like to take advantage of while I'm here. The K10D is a very capable camera, and I can take full advantage of a majority of these opportunities using it and my current lineup of lenses. However, I would love to have the 5D for its better high ISO performance for things such as wide angle astrophotography
For Astrophotography and the K10, check out the work by Martin Zalba :
Re: Do you agree with this comparison of the 20D and nikon 700D?: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

And Wim’s work with the fish-eye zoom :
Damaraland (Namibia): star trails (1 img) [Page 1]: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

With the K7 built over refined K20 sensor, we'll likely have useable Iso 1600-2000. Couple that with some of your fast glass, and you could have a nice package at your hands

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Why do you think you correct me? I didn't claim that! (EDIT: Well, strictly speaking I see that I did. I was thinking "magnification range" when I meant viewfinder size range)

But that's the magnification it will need to get into the range of 5dMkII and D700, just as you show with your calculation, or with the simpler (assuming K-7 has a crop of 1.538 just like the K20D):

1.1 * 1/1.538 = 0.7152

IF the K-7 has a 100% 1.1x VF, it will then be slightly better than the 5DMkII (98% 0.71x) and D700 (95% 0.72x) and just a little bit smaller than the A900 (100% 0.74x). If the K-7 has a 1.15x VF, it will also beat the A900...

(with "current FF" I was thinking of the less expensive models, not 1DMk III and D3, which are in a different price league than the K-7 is expected to be)
I’m not sure I understand this difference in calculation magnification, between FF and crop sensor

Last edited by Jonson PL; 04-30-2009 at 08:38 AM.
04-30-2009, 08:49 AM   #1538
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonson PL Quote
I’m not sure I understand this difference in calculation magnification, between FF and crop sensor
you do not need to understand the difference.

Here are rough formulas for calculations:

Assuming we have:
X = coverage/100% (E.g. 95%/100% = 0.95 > for Pentax K20D)
Y = magnification (E.g. 0.95x > for Pentax K20D)
Z = sensor size [width x height] (E.g. 23.4 x 15.6 mm > for Pentax K20D)

1) maximum size of viewfinder = MSVf
MSVf(width) = Y * Z(width)
MSVf(height) = Y * Z(height)

2) actual size of viewfinder = ASVf
ASVf(width) = MSVf(width) * X
ASVf(height) = MSVf(height) * X

So fot the FF sensor you have to apply it's size (not Z I have used).

NOTE: but actually these calculations are not true.

Here's why (calculations made for K20D).
MSVf(width) = 0.95 * 23.4 = 22.23
MSVf(height) = 0.95 * 15.6 = 14.82

So the area we have on sensor is 23.4*15.6=365.04 square mm
And the are we get from calculations assuming it 0.95 maginification is 329.4486
And 365.04*0.95=346.788 (which is not equal to calculations we made).

And then after you have to apply second formula which will give even more inaccurate results, but....
END OF NOTE

...you can use then as an example or better understanding of the whole thing.
04-30-2009, 09:02 AM   #1539
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ions Quote
...you can use then as an example or better understanding of the whole thing
Better understanding than yourself?

EDIT:
Serious question ... does anybody know (no guess, please) if Pentax specifies coverage as
- a percentage of linear measure or
- a percentage of surface
??

Last edited by falconeye; 04-30-2009 at 09:07 AM.
04-30-2009, 09:13 AM   #1540
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
Yes, give me an Olympus E-3 with a K-mount and APS-C sensor.
there's been some consensus that the E-3 is Olympus's "pro" body. what exactly makes it "pro"? seems it has the same external controls as the K20D, 11 point AF, swivel LCD aside, it certainly isn't the sensor size....only leaves the 5 FPS.
04-30-2009, 09:29 AM   #1541
and
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
there's been some consensus that the E-3 is Olympus's "pro" body. what exactly makes it "pro"? seems it has the same external controls as the K20D, 11 point AF, swivel LCD aside, it certainly isn't the sensor size....only leaves the 5 FPS.
it also has seriously fast af. I was surprised when I tried one. Wouldnt mind having that AF module in the k-7 but pentax has an af module tradition to follow since the film bodies
04-30-2009, 09:29 AM   #1542

It's a "Pro" camera when the manufacturer calls it a "Pro" camera. There is no widely agreed spec as to what makes a camera a professional camera. Features once deemed pro (e.g. interchangeable prisms, dedicated MLU switch) are now missing from cameras such as the Nikon D3 and Canon 1D/1Ds, so one could claim that these are not professional cameras.

I think you're missing the point. Torphoto challenged Enc0der to name a camera with "weather sealing, toughness and tilt & swivel lcd" and ManuH named one such camera - the E3. Whether you consider this camera to be a professional camera or not is besides the point - it is weather sealed, it is tough and it does have a tilt & swivel LCD. It also has 5 fps, a WB sensor and 100% viewfinder, but these don't make it a "Pro" camera. After all, it doesn't have interchangeable prisms

Prog.
04-30-2009, 09:33 AM   #1543
Veteran Member

I heard it has a better viewfinder, an otherwise weak point for the FT system.
04-30-2009, 09:39 AM   #1544
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
it also has seriously fast af. I was surprised when I tried one. Wouldnt mind having that AF module in the k-7 but pentax has an af module tradition to follow since the film bodies
great. so of the big 5, Pentax is in last place when it comes to AF speed.

i really hope the K-7 is Pentax's wake up call but i fear it may not. already it's looking like its gonna be Ultra SAFOX IX rev. j MK III Super, tweaked for accuracy, not speed. :ugh:

please let me be wrong..anyone?
04-30-2009, 09:44 AM   #1545
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ions Quote
Here's why (calculations made for K20D).
MSVf(width) = 0.95 * 23.4 = 22.23
MSVf(height) = 0.95 * 15.6 = 14.82

So the area we have on sensor is 23.4*15.6=365.04 square mm
And the are we get from calculations assuming it 0.95 maginification is 329.4486
And 365.04*0.95=346.788 (which is not equal to calculations we made).
Of course it isn't, check your math.
In one instance you use 0.95 as a side length ratio. The next you use it as a surface area ratio.

(0.95*23.4)*(0.95*15.6)=329.4486
0.95^2*(23.4*15.6)=329.4486
0.95^2*(365.04)=329.4486
/being used as side length ratio, not sure if its correct use