Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2009, 10:01 AM   #1546
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by zplus Quote
In one instance you use 0.95 as a side length ratio. The next you use it as a surface area ratio.
This is why I asked my question a few posts above. Here it goes again

... does anybody know (no guess, please) if Pentax specifies coverage as
- a percentage of linear measure or
- a percentage of surface
??

04-30-2009, 10:11 AM   #1547
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
how did you guested that?
seriously - I have understanding how could that be calculated.
However, I do not know how it is for real

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
EDIT:
Serious question ... does anybody know (no guess, please) if Pentax specifies coverage as
- a percentage of linear measure or
- a percentage of surface
??
04-30-2009, 11:46 AM   #1548
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
great. so of the big 5, Pentax is in last place when it comes to AF speed.

i really hope the K-7 is Pentax's wake up call but i fear it may not. already it's looking like its gonna be Ultra SAFOX IX rev. j MK III Super, tweaked for accuracy, not speed. :ugh:

please let me be wrong..anyone?
You know, even if they changed the module to something very fast and accurate in all conditions, it wouldn't fix the lens problem. Even recent lenses (DA*50-135, DA55-300 and DA*55 for example) are notoriously slow to move their focus ring. So don't expect miracle performance from the K-7. It will most probably be better than the K20D though.
04-30-2009, 12:05 PM   #1549
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
You know, even if they changed the module to something very fast and accurate in all conditions, it wouldn't fix the lens problem. Even recent lenses (DA*50-135, DA55-300 and DA*55 for example) are notoriously slow to move their focus ring. So don't expect miracle performance from the K-7. It will most probably be better than the K20D though.
We do not know that the lens is the limiting factor, it could be so that the lens AF speed is PWM controlled to a speed that the AF module in the body can handle. A faster AF module in the body might make it possible to control the lenses in a different way.
Pure speculation, of course...

/Mats

04-30-2009, 12:07 PM   #1550
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Priyantha Bleeker Quote
they can introduce a completely new AF system ?
did not they say that new body will be a match for a screw driven, w/ rather longer focusing ring throw, "limited" lenses ? that does not call for a completely new AF system... rather some minor tweaks to a Zombie-VIII
04-30-2009, 12:22 PM   #1551
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Mats Quote
We do not know that the lens is the limiting factor, it could be so that the lens AF speed is PWM controlled to a speed that the AF module in the body can handle. A faster AF module in the body might make it possible to control the lenses in a different way.

/Mats
When I tested the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 HSM for Pentax it was quite fast ... when I had a chance to take a couple of shots with that lens on a Nikon D700 it was noticeably faster.

Now if we could just attach our Pentax lenses to a "faster" body...
Well, the K7 is coming and we'll know soon enough if a new focus system can speed up the focusing on older lenses as well - I think it can, the question is, will the K7 have a new focusing system.
04-30-2009, 12:32 PM   #1552
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fejker Quote
I think it can, the question is, will the K7 have a new focusing system.
most will tell you that it will most likely not. Most will also tell you that they wish it did...

04-30-2009, 12:39 PM   #1553
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mats Quote
Maybe. But for the DA55-300 I think it's hopeless even with a good AF, it will never be that fast.

I also have the D-FA 100 macro and weirdly enough (for a macro lens) this lens focus very fast (when it doesn't miss the focus point in which case it goes back and forth). It feels like exploding into focus when in good light. I think for AF-S, Pentax has just a bit of tweak to do for low-light (like they did with the K-m). It goes very fast to about the correct focus point then make small adjustments that take too much time. I think they should at least give us an option to select speed vs accuracy.

Now... when things are moving, it's another story and this is where they have to improve *a lot* to catch up with the competition, Sony and Olympus included. And here it's mainly a software problem, this has almost nothing to do with "Old Safox".

And oh yes, whatever the improvements they should drop the name SAFOX since so much people seem to "know" that it's not good.
04-30-2009, 12:43 PM   #1554
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fejker Quote
Well, the K7 is coming and we'll know soon enough if a new focus system can speed up the focusing on older lenses as well - I think it can, the question is, will the K7 have a new focusing system.
It should at least have the K-m improvements.
04-30-2009, 12:48 PM   #1555
Veteran Member

I have found that fast pentax lenses i.,e the DA f/2.8 35mm limited macro lens vs the f/3.5-f/5.6 kit lens focus a tad faster

Last edited by dopeytree; 04-30-2009 at 12:55 PM.
04-30-2009, 12:51 PM   #1556

QuoteOriginally posted by Torphoto Quote
So you want weather sealing, toughness and tilt & swivel lcd?
1. yes.
2. tilt & swivel lcd is way more important than weather sealing. after all, all my lenses are not sealed anyway.
04-30-2009, 12:53 PM   #1557
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
Ouch. Why do zoom-users like Pentax again?
04-30-2009, 12:58 PM   #1558
Veteran Member

Pentax trying to shift the last stock? and make room for the K-7 and the new comer in october?

http://www.pentaximaging.com/slr/K20D/

I have no idea how long this has been there though!
Attached Images

Last edited by dopeytree; 04-30-2009 at 01:24 PM.
04-30-2009, 01:25 PM   #1559
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by unkabin Quote
I like the looks of the up-tilted front dial. Looks very comfortably placed. As a recent convert to Pentax, it took me a while to get used the low front dial on the K10D.
It does look comfy, but I just hope its rubberized like Nikon does with the D200/300/700/3/3x. The front dial on the K10D/20D feels like a cheap plastic turd compared to Nikons.
04-30-2009, 01:25 PM   #1560

This is an extremely old ad.
Been there for a few months now I believe.