Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2009, 10:09 AM   #1651
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I understand what you are saying.

But tell me: What would you do if a friend offers you to give you the photos on your word to keep them private?
I would assume that they already broke the NDA................ or it's already corporate espionage. I assume all the manufacturers know a lot more then us at this point......
Unless of course the NDA states "you can share w/ friends"............... LOL

05-01-2009, 10:15 AM   #1652
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
Unless of course the NDA states "you can share w/ friends"............... LOL
I'm pretty sure that the people under the NDA know what they can and can't release and that they also know how they can or can't release it....
05-01-2009, 10:33 AM   #1653
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Erik Quote
EDIT 2: Oh, and the new camera is "different" in the ways that Pentax has already profiled themselves as being "different". Pentax today is about well-built, solid constructions and small form factors. This is going to be a small, well-built, "Limited style", weather sealed body. Pentax is aiming at people who want small, solid cameras and lenses that work in dust and rain, and that is what they are pursuing with the K-7. It is the logical extension of their weather sealed DA* and Limited lens lines.
except the Limited lenses aren't sealed at all. the K-7 body isn't aluminum or overtly metal like the Limited line either.

i think that line about a "Limited camera" was most likely an off the cuff remark/opinion by an executive. the only thing the K-7 really has to do with the Limited lens line is that it's small.
05-01-2009, 10:40 AM   #1654
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
except the Limited lenses aren't sealed at all. the body isn't aluminum or overtly metal like the Limited line either.
Well, I did say "weather-sealed DA* and Limited" lines. I am fully aware the Limiteds aren't weather sealed, but they are built so well that I wouldn't think twice about taking them into some less than ideal conditions (though I would not pour water into a FA 77, if I had one.)

No one has posted reliable information about body material yet, as far as i know, but I'm pretty sure it will be sturdily built.

Anyway -- I still think this new body looks, more than the previous Pentax digital SLR's, like a "Limited" type design in that it has a certain "retro" flavour to it and has some premium features that photographers care about, like a good viewfinder (according to rumours, anyway). Pentax, with its Limiteds and "just hold a Pentax" campaigns, has always been the photographic enthusiast's camera, and I really see the feature set and design they've got going agreeing with that line of thinking.

I'm going off on tangents here, but I don't think the K-7 is going to be a "pro" camera, as such. I think it's going to be the kind of camera a pro uses on his days off, when he shoots for art or fun... Preferably with a 31 Limited or something attached to it.

05-01-2009, 10:53 AM   #1655
Veteran Member

Btw i think there are no pictores of K-7's back because it will be a film camera. Still it will be able to record movies and show digital preview.
05-01-2009, 10:54 AM   #1656
Veteran Member

I wonder what made Pentax concentrate on size with the K-7. of course it's a great, unique selling point but it's also probably the last thing on the priority list for current Pentax users...let's hope they at least get some more new users.
I don't think that's true at all and to me this is evidence that Pentax has been listening. I and many others have been waiting with varying degrees of patience for a new compact body with a large viewfinder a la *ist D/DS/DS2. Pentax builds all these great tiny primes but the "matching" bodies (K10D/K20D) are rather large. For the DA* crowd, big bodies are good for handling, and the extra weight isn't as noticeable...but the bigger bodies don't serve as well the needs of those who like to travel light. This new body very well may make me want to replace my current bodies, even if its imaging properties are merely identical to the K20D.
05-01-2009, 10:58 AM   #1657
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ytterbium Quote
Btw i think there are no pictores of K-7's back because it will be a film camera. Still it will be able to record movies and show digital preview.
It will take 35mm movie film spools and have a built-in C-41 minilab and scanner, you heard it here first folks

05-01-2009, 11:00 AM   #1658
Veteran Member

I'm going off on tangents here, but I don't think the K-7 is going to be a "pro" camera, as such. I think it's going to be the kind of camera a pro uses on his days off, when he shoots for art or fun... Preferably with a 31 Limited or something attached to it.
Pentax has long realized they're not in the pro market and have dug their heels into the enthusiast market. the K-7 embodies this, appealing to our nostalgia, outdoorsiness, and the Leica-like object fetishism of the Limited lenses.

Pentax isn't taking on the two front Canikon juggernaut head-on for the pro-market. they're going to try and outflank them by approaching the pro market through MF.
05-01-2009, 11:10 AM   #1659
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AndrewG NY Quote
I don't think that's true at all and to me this is evidence that Pentax has been listening. I and many others have been waiting with varying degrees of patience for a new compact body with a large viewfinder a la *ist D/DS/DS2. Pentax builds all these great tiny primes but the "matching" bodies (K10D/K20D) are rather large. For the DA* crowd, big bodies are good for handling, and the extra weight isn't as noticeable...but the bigger bodies don't serve as well the needs of those who like to travel light. This new body very well may make me want to replace my current bodies, even if its imaging properties are merely identical to the K20D.
size is high on my personal priority list as well, but if it was truly paramount, Pentax already had it covered with the excellent, weathersealed K200D.

Pentax squeezing a K20D+ into a K200D size body is a personal dream for me, but i know i don't represent every Pentax user. some Pentax users complained the K20D was too small.

unlike size, one thing i think every SLR user could agree on is the desire for, faster, more accurate, modern AF.
05-01-2009, 11:12 AM   #1660
and
Veteran Member

Regarding comments about Pentax listening. In my opinion it seems quite evident that the two most complained about/requested things are AF and FPS. When the k20d was released, the excuse was that they couldnt improve the sensor part and do the AF part at the same time they had to choose one, so it seemed obvious that the next camera would have the same or refined version of the sensor, and then work would be put into improving AF and FPS. So imo if they wanted to show they had been listening then thats what they should do something about.
05-01-2009, 11:16 AM   #1661
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
Speculation? The LED light is right THERE on the photo!
What other proof do you want? And it simply cannot be a white balance sensor.

So the AF assist light is not a speculation. And I bet that it would work as a video light as well.
Its speculation because it doesn't say AF assist light on it. I agree that it is likely an AF assist light but compared to the other aspects of the body, like the HDMI port and MIC input, its not a definate.

Correct me if I am wrong but this would be the first body Pentax has ever made with an AF assist light?

It probably is an AF assist light but I was trying to point out that 99% of what is said in this thread is unsubstantiated. I was being quite literal with my terms
05-01-2009, 11:16 AM   #1662

Pentax has long realized they're not in the pro market ...
OMG, someone should tell Ben!
If what you say is true, he's the only one who thinks Pentax is in the Pro market left...
05-01-2009, 11:17 AM   #1663
Veteran Member

Pentax has long realized they're not in the pro market and have dug their heels into the enthusiast market. the K-7 embodies this, appealing to our nostalgia, outdoorsiness, and the Leica-like object fetishism of the Limited lenses.
Agreed, with a reservation: it's not really nostalgia or fetishism, at least not for me, it's just about appreciating and wanting different things. I went with Pentax partly because they had the compact prime lens thing going, and I am glad they are pursuing that direction further.

I am young and never grew up with film SLR's, but after using both digital SLR's and devices like the Olympus OM-1 and Pentax ME I am convinced that in many ways we have taken a large step backwards in camera/lens quality and usability since then -- therefore I am glad that Pentax to some extent is going against the grain of big amorphous battery gripped blobs with 5 kg white 2.8 zooms attached to them.

I am interested in Limited lenses and small, sturdy, no-nonsense camera designs not because of some camera fetishism or because I think they're cute collectible novelties, but because I really hate lugging around big lenses, and because it is my philosophy about most things in life to get small, simple, good quality things that do a job and do it well.

If I had a set of 15, 35 and 70 DA Limiteds and a K-7 I would be done; it would be something approaching my ideal DSLR setup. There is no other camera manufacturer that can offer me this sort of thing.
05-01-2009, 11:17 AM   #1664
Veteran Member

EDIT 2: Oh, and the new camera is "different" in the ways that Pentax has already profiled themselves as being "different". Pentax today is about well-built, solid constructions and small form factors.
I'm still not convinced they've done that. The Olympus E-30 feels just as nice in my hand as the K20D does, and the D200/300/700 remind you real quick that the Pentax uses plastic shells. And all of them are so close in size that I don't see how a few mm's here or there make any difference to anyone.

IMO Pentax has two things going for them: the Limited Lenses; and prices on their camera bodies drop like bricks. So if you wait a year you can get a hell of a deal. Of course the only problem with that is when their new cameras are announced they cost just as much as anyone else. So most people don't see any reason to buy one instead of Canikon.

I really hope the K7 feels as solid as a D700 with a viewfinder to match, because I'd love to come back to Pentax for the Limited lenses, but if they can't produce a D700 level body (metal, huge viewfinder) then I'll do without.
05-01-2009, 11:18 AM   #1665
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Theres no particular reason to be excessively sceptical to any rumors from credible sources leaking out now.....
Well to be fair Ogl and RiceHigh don't have the best reputation for consistency on this forum (rightly or wrongly)