Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2009, 11:23 AM   #1666
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
I'm still not convinced they've done that. The Olympus E-30 feels just as nice in my hand
Fair enough, but Olympus is also about sturdy construction and small form factor SLR's, and has been ever since the 70's, so...

05-01-2009, 11:26 AM   #1667

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I understand what you are saying.

But tell me: What would you do if a friend offers you to give you the photos on your word to keep them private?
and what would you do if your friend gives his word, and then posts a picture of the camera photoshopped filtered to make it look like a pencil sketch? or posts the actual specs (if they are real) with an *unofficial addendum at the end? shitty friend or maybe a faker?

these "sources" who say to just believe them and expects everyone else to take their word as truth and grovel at their feet are wondering why people are lashing at them. i'm just sick of this "i know something you dont know" attitude.

PENTAX give us something to chew on! (besides that enjoy waiting pic you bastards!)

p.s. i'm just angry you get to look at your pics and not share u know who you are!!
05-01-2009, 11:32 AM   #1668
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
Well to be fair Ogl and RiceHigh don't have the best reputation for consistency on this forum (rightly or wrongly)
who cares - at least they have some (bad or good) - you do not have it at all of any kind - not meat, not fish... they at least cause some emotions - you are like a distilled water
05-01-2009, 11:41 AM   #1669
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
i think that line about a "Limited camera" was most likely an off the cuff remark/opinion by an executive. the only thing the K-7 really has to do with the Limited lens line is that it's small.

Thats not how I understood it. I believe it was about craftmanship/built quality; a jewel-like camera like the Limited lenses. This does not mean it neccesarily use the same body material as the Limited lenses, but that it is about the same thing; pride of ownership...

05-01-2009, 11:42 AM   #1670
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Philippos Quote
OMG, someone should tell Ben!
If what you say is true, he's the only one who thinks Pentax is in the Pro market left...
c'mon. Ben is great, but sometimes i think he's only great here because he singlehandedly keeps Pentax "in the pro market".

there are tons of kinds of pros, photojournalists, sports photographers, landscape photographers , wildlife photographers and fashion photographers etc etc. like it or not, there are cameras better suited to these things than the current Pentax lineup, don't make me list how and why.
05-01-2009, 11:45 AM   #1671
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
I'm still not convinced they've done that. The Olympus E-30 feels just as nice in my hand as the K20D does, and the D200/300/700 remind you real quick that the Pentax uses plastic shells. And all of them are so close in size that I don't see how a few mm's here or there make any difference to anyone.

IMO Pentax has two things going for them: the Limited Lenses; and prices on their camera bodies drop like bricks. So if you wait a year you can get a hell of a deal. Of course the only problem with that is when their new cameras are announced they cost just as much as anyone else. So most people don't see any reason to buy one instead of Canikon.
they have more than just two things going for them, but you missed a big one, bringing weathersealing to the mainstream.
05-01-2009, 11:48 AM   #1672
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Thats not how I understood it. I believe it was about craftmanship/built quality; a jewel-like camera like the Limited lenses. This does not mean it neccesarily use the same body material as the Limited lenses, but that it is about the same thing; pride of ownership...
yes, thats the fetishism i'm talking about. you don't normally think of 'jewels' as being 'tough'. well-built can mean different things to different people, just compare the Limited lens line with the DA* line.

05-01-2009, 11:54 AM   #1673
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Erik Quote
Agreed, with a reservation: it's not really nostalgia or fetishism, at least not for me, it's just about appreciating and wanting different things. I went with Pentax partly because they had the compact prime lens thing going, and I am glad they are pursuing that direction further.

I am young and never grew up with film SLR's, but after using both digital SLR's and devices like the Olympus OM-1 and Pentax ME I am convinced that in many ways we have taken a large step backwards in camera/lens quality and usability since then -- therefore I am glad that Pentax to some extent is going against the grain of big amorphous battery gripped blobs with 5 kg white 2.8 zooms attached to them.

I am interested in Limited lenses and small, sturdy, no-nonsense camera designs not because of some camera fetishism or because I think they're cute collectible novelties, but because I really hate lugging around big lenses, and because it is my philosophy about most things in life to get small, simple, good quality things that do a job and do it well.

If I had a set of 15, 35 and 70 DA Limiteds and a K-7 I would be done; it would be something approaching my ideal DSLR setup. There is no other camera manufacturer that can offer me this sort of thing.
i went to Pentax exactly for those same reasons. i bought a K20 body just for the Limiteds, only later did i buy my first Pentax zoom. Small, well-built, high quality were the adjectives i was after and the fact that Pentax was also cheaper was just the big bonus. Pentax was the only option for me.

but again, while there may be many like me, i don't represent every Pentax user. some don't even like carrying multiple prime lenses (gasp). may sound silly to you and me but its true.
05-01-2009, 11:57 AM   #1674
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
Regarding comments about Pentax listening. In my opinion it seems quite evident that the two most complained about/requested things are AF and FPS.
I personally don't care if FPS is improved. I suspect that the DA* crowd who might not care about camera size wants this more than those of us who want a smaller (but low-compromise) body to use with little primes. I'd much rather see bigger viewfinder, high-res LCD and 1/250 X-sync than >3fps (though I think it remains important to have at least a 9-frame raw buffer).

I think everyone can agree that AF improvements are always welcome, though given a choice between AF improvements and de-crippling the mount to allow Av and M for K/M glass without using stop-down metering, I'd choose the de-crippled mount.

My hope is that this K-7 is the body I describe...and that at X-mas time the Nikon D300-killer the big body fans lust for will appear.
05-01-2009, 12:03 PM   #1675
Veteran Member

i don't see why big APS-C bodies have to exist at all. that's what the grips are for.
05-01-2009, 12:40 PM   #1676
Veteran Member

i don't see why big APS-C bodies have to exist at all. that's what the grips are for.
I'm inclined to agree with you, I think K200D and Nikon D80/90 are just about "right-sized" and have available grips. Note though that the K200D grip is missing some of the extra portrait controls.
05-01-2009, 12:41 PM   #1677
Veteran Member

they have more than just two things going for them, but you missed a big one, bringing weathersealing to the mainstream.
Sometimes I wonder how much people care about that. Most people I know prefer the construction of the Canon 40D over the K20D because it simply feels more solid....and I'd be afraid to take the 40D onto a beach. Then there's the Rebel line. Those have to be the most flimsy, cheaply made SLR's I've ever touched and yet the sale like crazy even though the price of the K20D is right in the ballpark of the Rebel xSi.
05-01-2009, 01:00 PM   #1678
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
Ok, I could live with that, but - based on what? The Z and Mz series have had the DOP-button at exactly this place, having exactly this shape. Just curious...
I've also been hoping that Pentax would make better use of this space. One thing I hate ergonomically about the K20D (and to a lesser extent the K10D as well) is that they have only one preview switch so you can't easily switch between optical dof preview, digital preview, and live view. MZ-3/5/5n/S bodies also included switches for af points in this area.
05-01-2009, 01:57 PM   #1679
Site Supporter

some don't even like carrying multiple prime lenses (gasp). may sound silly to you and me but its true.
lol thats me.
K-7 will be my next digital.
05-01-2009, 02:18 PM   #1680
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
who cares - at least they have some (bad or good) - you do not have it at all of any kind - not meat, not fish... they at least cause some emotions - you are like a distilled water
Hey, dejjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa I thought your doctor told you to lay off the distilled stuff (and I am not talking about water). The only emotion you give me is

Radu

P.S. Only a fool can equal that one without more mouth than info+brains combined has no clues or solid facts about the new camera. I guess you fit in just fine ...