Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2009, 10:57 AM   #1771
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
Hey Ogl, Rice, or anyone not under the NDA....

What do you think about the thing we are all assuming to be a focus assist lamp on the front of the K-7.

Any chance it is actually part of the exposure system and works along with the TTL meter to determine the brightness of the scene in front of the camera?

Is it a photometer that allows the camera to AUTOMATICALLY adjust exposure compensation?

The cell determines the the area in front of the camera is bright, the TTL meter does its "18% grey thing", and then the camera automaically dials up the exposure?

Or when it determines the scene to be dark, it dials the exposure down?

Works like the room brightness eye found on modern TV sets?

I thought of this after looking at Ned's latest blog posting.

Note: I am not talking about white balance here.
I don't see how what you're describing could possibly achieve a useful auto exposure compensation. It's nothing like the room brightness eye on a TV set - that's just a light meter working in absolutes. Exposure compensation cannot be determined by knowing the absolute EV, only the relative EV. Classic example - in a snowy scene, you need to increase the exposure to make the scene look bright, not grey. How would a secondary light meter on the camera body be able to know that the surface you are photographing was white, or black for that matter?

This is what matrix metering is designed to help with. And sometimes it works. I don't think that this would. As to the idea of it being a white balance sensor, I'd like that, although I'd note that the D700 has really good auto WB in my experience (once calibrated, and anyway not perfect, but much better than on K10D) without having an external white balance sensor. So far, I think an AF assist light would be the best option, if only to shut up all the people who've been crying for one.

05-03-2009, 10:59 AM   #1772
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RuiC Quote
anything..
Well not literary . I meant discussing anything about k-7. Like is that a push button in the middle of mode dial and what could it do?

The flash bracket and prism as whole looks weird in this picture (compared to announcement date teaser pic.). Because it is p.shopped?
As well you may ask why the left side strap connector isn't included in this picture or what is this:
Attached Images

Last edited by ytterbium; 05-03-2009 at 02:05 PM.
05-03-2009, 11:03 AM   #1773

QuoteOriginally posted by ytterbium Quote
Well not literary . I meant discussing anything about k-7. Like is that a push button in the middle of mode dial and what could it do?
Likely just a lock for the mode dial so you can't accidentally turn it.
05-03-2009, 11:05 AM   #1774
Veteran Member

Like is that a push button in the middle of mode dial and what could it do?
it unlocks the dial and allows it to move.

05-03-2009, 11:06 AM   #1775
and
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Could it be a lock to prevent accidental changing of functions similarly to what nikon d300 d3 etc i believe this was mentioned earlier in this thread. Not sure its even a button tho and i guess a button in that position would be strange for a lock
05-03-2009, 11:09 AM   #1776
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
is this pic of K30D?
No.

It is a shame that we have so many posts in this thread and not a single image of the K30D!

05-03-2009, 11:15 AM   #1777
Veteran Member

Sounds quite reasonable... only i've never accidentally turned that dial on my k100d (it seems stiff enough to me).
As for accidental stuff.. dont you ever accidentaly eject batteries? With my k100d it happened numerous times, when just touching camera bottom during handling (or when small finger goes under camera).. several times i almost lost my batteries (after that i removed the spring that pushes the lid open).

05-03-2009, 11:25 AM   #1778
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
it unlocks the dial and allows it to move.
I though it cooked your lunch like on your k10d/k20d?
05-03-2009, 12:44 PM   #1779
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dopeytree Quote
I though it cooked your lunch like on your k10d/k20d?
Now that's weird. My k100 used to serve only drinks or made some soup now and then if you put a m42 dish on it..
05-03-2009, 12:50 PM   #1780
Veteran Member

The flash bracket and prism as whole looks weird in this picture (compared to announcement date teaser pic.). Because it is p.shopped?
As well you may ask why the left side strap connector isn't included in this picture or what is this:
where's the on-board flash pop-up button???
prism looks the same.
05-03-2009, 12:57 PM   #1781
Pentaxian

I’m loosing interest here, nothing new and it’s still two and half weeks left. This isn’t working.

No news isn’t good news. I’ve had enough of speculation and groundless guesstimation now. Some hard facts are required or this campaign will die pretty soon. Personally I’m beginning to doubt if this is the camera I’m waiting for… Getting all negative now.
05-03-2009, 01:02 PM   #1782
Veteran Member

I'm surprised no ones worked out its the same as on the k10/k20d now go compare!
I'm talking about the switch you think is a lock... it simpley controls spot, center avg and matrix metering the same as our k10ds and k20ds
05-03-2009, 01:07 PM   #1783
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dopeytree Quote
I'm surprised no ones worked out its the same as on the k10/k20d now go compare!
I'm talking about the switch you think is a lock... it simpley controls spot, center avg and matrix metering the same as our k10ds and k20ds
But they are talking about the push button on top of the dial.
05-03-2009, 01:12 PM   #1784
Veteran Member

Actually, that's the hologram projector. If Princess Leia has a message for you, it shoots out of there.

05-03-2009, 01:14 PM   #1785
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
I’m loosing interest here, nothing new and it’s still two and half weeks left. This isn’t working.

No news isn’t good news. I’ve had enough of speculation and groundless guesstimation now. Some hard facts are required or this campaign will die pretty soon. Personally I’m beginning to doubt if this is the camera I’m waiting for… Getting all negative now.
But why get negative, take some pictures and smile ? IMHO, i cannot understand why some people are so hyped about new cameras and take such rumours so seriously. For me it is more like a fun fooling around with wild speculations and fantasies about what one could implement in camera using today's technologies since the possibilities and room for improvements is huge.

I understand that some might be more seriously into photography and have investments in lenses and accessories that has to bee supported by actual and perspective camera line.
But still, if you have some lenses, working system that satisfies you enough so you've been using it up to this day why put such emphasis and serious attitude on something you most likely doesn't need yet.

I'd be much more seriously concerned about support to existing products (major firmware updates, PROFESSIONAL service) because now days manufacturers tend to forget you as soon as you buy their product (but i can only say good words about Pentax in this context). Of course it is good to keep track on company progress if the product you own is somehow dependant on it.

=====

So the thing i circled.. it has to be button.. too odd for a simple body curve. Logically it would be optical preview or something along these lines. Has this been already discussed some hundred posts ago ? If so.. we could add something new/different to on off button.. just digital preview...display AF point or something useful, unless it has just on/off positions?
What about that "Direct Controls Design" Rice mentioned some time ago. Sounds like a title for some complete, original control system/scheme implementation, similar the way EOS for Canon sounds . It could mean completely reworked UI.. although i doubt, current one is nice, clean and fast.
Still the dial top button bothers me. I see no real reason to add lock. Has anyone complained about it? I've red only of it being left between positions. I imagine some mode hint in viewfinder or mode shift as more useful.

Last edited by ytterbium; 05-03-2009 at 01:40 PM.