Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2009, 06:37 PM   #1861
Inactive Account

For more hilarity..here's a useless post - just so I can say I participated in the mega thread.

Now back to your regular programming...

c[_]

05-05-2009, 07:44 PM   #1862
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Strap lugs!

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonson PL Quote
I think there is a big difference in size between D300 and D700, compared to Pentax. Particularly when you equip them with lenses :

Edit :
We just rounded quarter of a million views on this thread

Well done PentaxForums !

Tut tut! But oh, will you just look at those sexy strap-lugs on the D700!

Man, that looks like a real "pro" camera!
05-05-2009, 08:39 PM   #1863
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonson PL Quote
I think there is a big difference in size between D300 and D700, compared to Pentax. Particularly when you equip them with lenses :
QuoteOriginally posted by omega leader Quote
Wow, that D700 and 20D comparison pic sure says alot, I'm not sure I would enjoy lugging that monster around.
If you're going to put a size comparo photo up and specifically mention lenses then you should probably find a pic with similar lenses. You have a 24-120mm on one and a 35mm prime on another. Mount the Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D on the D700 and it is much more manageable. And again, this is simply a difference in philosophy between Nikon and Pentax, it doesn't mean that FF cameras have to be as large as the the D700 (the Sony A900 is already smaller for example). Here is a diagram comparing the D700 to the APS-C D300:

Their APS-C camera is virtually the exact same size as their FF camera. I personally prefer larger cameras for every day shooting. Large cameras simply fit my hand better and feel nicer to me. I say who cares to metal vs composites vs carbon fiber vs wood debate. I don't care which material is the most effective/modern/renewable/economical. I just care which feels the best when I pick it up; and so far that has been magnesium bodied cameras to me. Pentax simply hasn't made a DSLR that feels as nice as either Oly E-3 or the Sony A900....hopefully the K7 will change that.

I think it's great that Pentax has chosen to make small cameras for people that prefer that, but so long as I'm going to have to carry a back pack anyway the size difference between the D700 and the K20D doesn't mean a thing to me. So give me the one that fits my hand and feels more solid any day of the week. The K7 may fill a nice niche though. So far every single magnesium bodied DSLR has been D300/D700/A900 size. That leaves people with smaller hands out in the cold if they want Canon Rebel size and Canon 50D build quality and features. The K7 can fill that niche. I just hope they can make a view finder to compete.

The thing that makes both the D700 & A900 look large in photos (I still think they are perfectly manageable in person) is that they both have huge honking prisms on top. But to me that makes them so beautiful I couldn't care less what the rest of the camera looks like, because I know that means once I put my eye up to the view finder I'm going to see an engulfing view. And again, to reiterate, that is the single biggest advantage 35mm offers. It's not the IQ, the resolution, the high ISO, the dynamic range, none of that; it's the view finder. It makes composing photos an easier and more enjoyable experience. It's very hard to look through an APS-C view finder after only a short test of a full frame camera at your local store.

Last edited by Art Vandelay II; 05-05-2009 at 09:26 PM.
05-06-2009, 12:57 AM   #1864
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
Compare that to Phils DPReview "side by side with K20D and D300:

The thing that makes both the D700 & A900 look large in photos (I still think they are perfectly manageable in person) is that they both have huge honking prisms on top. But to me that makes them so beautiful I couldn't care less what the rest of the camera looks like, because I know that means once I put my eye up to the view finder I'm going to see an engulfing view. And again, to reiterate, that is the single biggest advantage 35mm offers. It's not the IQ, the resolution, the high ISO, the dynamic range, none of that; it's the view finder. It makes composing photos an easier and more enjoyable experience. It's very hard to look through an APS-C view finder after only a short test of a full frame camera at your local store.
I don't like bid protruding viewfinders for the looks... If I want to hold a Camel I will buy a Camel and not some sort of Camel-, oopd I mean "Dromedary"of "Arabian camel"-Camel like camera. Ofcourse not as flat as the Oly E300 but they overdid it with the E3

Attached Images

05-06-2009, 01:09 AM   #1865
Veteran Member

Here is a diagram comparing the D700 to the APS-C D300:
I thought I should post a size comparison of Nikon top notch vs. forthcoming Pentax top notch camera lines then. Here we go

Last edited by falconeye; 06-15-2011 at 05:28 AM.
05-06-2009, 01:12 AM   #1866
Pentaxian

Congratulations Falconeye. You're the first to post the whole K-7 body (albeit a silhouette)
05-06-2009, 01:20 AM   #1867
Veteran Member

I'd like to see added a silhouette of the K20D as well, jiust for comparison

05-06-2009, 01:39 AM   #1868
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I thought I should post a size comparison of Nikon top notch vs. forthcoming Pentax top notch camera lines then. Here we go
Thank you for proving that the whole "FF is huge in comparison to APS-C" point is moot.

One can clearly see that the size issue isn't related to FF vs APS-C. Just compare D300 to D700 or 50D to 5D.

Pentax cameras are simply conceived in a more compact fashion than Canon or Nikon. Just look at film cameras if you're still not convinced.

The new APS-C camera from Pentax is smaller than any APS-C camera from Canon and Nikon, that just goes to show that if Pentax would ever release a FF, they just could make it of about the same size than the K-7 (bar a bigger VF).
05-06-2009, 01:55 AM   #1869
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lol101 Quote
Thank you for proving that the whole "FF is huge in comparison to APS-C" point is moot.

One can clearly see that the size issue isn't related to FF vs APS-C. Just compare D300 to D700 or 50D to 5D.

Pentax cameras are simply conceived in a more compact fashion than Canon or Nikon. Just look at film cameras if you're still not convinced.

The new APS-C camera from Pentax is smaller than any APS-C camera from Canon and Nikon, that just goes to show that if Pentax would ever release a FF, they just could make it of about the same size than the K-7 (bar a bigger VF).
Not necessarily. There is a limit to the smallest size of a camera, and the size of the sensor is part of that equation. Nikon and Canon work from a preferred camera size that they deem necessary for what their market expects, and this size gives them enough room for both APS-C and 135format. This does not mean that the K-7 had the same overhead in its interior design to allow for a 135format sensor instead of the APS-C. You're turning the reasoning upside down imho. The smaller the body, the more important the sensor size becomes in its interior design and the closer you get to a camera that can accomodate APS-C but not 135format. Of course we can only guess where the limit sits.

Wim
05-06-2009, 02:53 AM   #1870
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Congratulations Falconeye. You're the first to post the whole K-7 body (albeit a silhouette)
Wasn't that RH (albeit a sketch)?

Did you verify it is only a silhouette? ...

... and it wasn't the first post to show the silhouette, not even in this forum
05-06-2009, 02:57 AM   #1871
Pentaxian

Indeed, damn! In Photoshop one can see the whole layout of the back now

(Although I still prefer my press shots )
05-06-2009, 03:00 AM   #1872
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
I'd like to see added a silhouette of the K20D as well, jiust for comparison
The D300/700 are 147mm wide, K-7 130mm wide. Now, your turn
05-06-2009, 05:10 AM   #1873

Can't believe I've read 125 pages of this thread! I'm interested in hearing what comes out on the 21st, but I'm not holding my breath, I've only recently bought a K20 anyway, so it'll be a couple of years before I'm looking for a new body.

(ok, I admit it, I just wanted to get in on the megathread)
05-06-2009, 05:14 AM   #1874
Veteran Member

Hey guys! For those of you who are too lazy to fire up Photoshop to make your own nearly-worthless blurry pic, here you go!

Maybe this will spawn another 20 pages of discussion
05-06-2009, 05:18 AM   #1875
and
Veteran Member

Well Well, finally something new and interesting.
Screen looks nice and big. looks like 1 button above and 2 buttons below the 4 way controller.