Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2009, 05:39 AM   #1876
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One thing that strikes me is the amount of room for the thumb in the back. In regard to Ned's post about the George Harrison pic, maybe the idea is that the new Pentax cameras will be easier to just hold naturally, without fear of accidentally pressing buttons, thus allowing the photographer and the camera to blend together further. George looks very relaxed holding the camera in the picture.

05-06-2009, 05:42 AM   #1877
spe

Photos: Gallery
Seems back controls look more like K-m then *ist and K*** series. It would be interesting to know, how the selection of focus points will be organized (controls and algorhythm)? As far as I can understand "old style" method cannot be used, as four way controller now used for other function, due to possible absence of separate Fn button as it is on K-m, but on K-m you cannot change focusing point, as far as I know.
05-06-2009, 05:45 AM   #1878
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by spe Quote
Seems back controls look more like K-m then *ist and K*** series. It would be interesting to know, how the selection of focus points will be organized (controls and algorhythm)? As far as I can understand "old style" method cannot be used, as four way controller now used for other function, due to possible absence of separate Fn button as it is on K-m, but on K-m you cannot change focusing point, as far as I know.
I asked this question somewhere earlier in this gigantic thread. It seems that you would need to press the ok button to activate AF point selection.

Wim
05-06-2009, 05:51 AM   #1879
Veteran Member

To me, there seems to be an additionnal "controller" above the 4-way one. See the right-most image in this group, for instance:

The button in there seems labeled "AF", and it would make sense to have the AF point control around it.

05-06-2009, 05:56 AM   #1880
spe

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
I asked this question somewhere earlier in this gigantic thread. It seems that you would need to press the ok button to activate AF point selection.

Wim
That's not logical for me, because it is obvious, that focusing point changed more often than WB or drive mode, so it should be controlled in simpler and easier way
05-06-2009, 05:57 AM   #1881
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
To me, there seems to be an additionnal "controller" above the 4-way one. See the right-most image in this group, for instance:

The button in there seems labeled "AF", and it would make sense to have the AF point control around it.
There's a center point icon and a "SEL" to the left there, so the ring around the AF button is where you select the AF mode, I guess! (not a big ring around the four-way controller anymore)
05-06-2009, 06:02 AM   #1882
spe

For me it's looks like more focus point selection mode control - like only central point, selection, and auto selection. Button inside the dial maybe dedicated AF button, to initiate AF without pressing shutter button.

05-06-2009, 06:25 AM   #1883
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
There's a center point icon and a "SEL" to the left there, so the ring around the AF button is where you select the AF mode, I guess! (not a big ring around the four-way controller anymore)
For me it's looks like more focus point selection mode control - like only central point, selection, and auto selection. Button inside the dial maybe dedicated AF button, to initiate AF without pressing shutter button.
That makes a lot of sense. Guess we'll have to wait and see how the focus points are controled. I have a feeling I'll lament the disappearance of the "Fn" button, as I don't care about direct access to WB, Flash mode, Drive mode, etc and direct control of the AF points is much more important to me.

Last edited by RBellavance; 05-06-2009 at 06:57 AM.
05-06-2009, 06:37 AM   #1884
Pentaxian

That makes a lot of sense. Guess we'll have to wait and see how the focus points are controled. I have a feeling I'll lament the disappearance of the "Fn" button, as I don't care about direct access to WB, Flash mode, Drive mode, etc and direct control of the AF points if much more important to me.
I really hope they're easily controlled, otherwise I think we've found ogl's "one problem" with the K-7. I use the 4-way controller for focus points all the time.
05-06-2009, 07:27 AM   #1885
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
I really hope they're easily controlled, otherwise I think we've found ogl's "one problem" with the K-7. I use the 4-way controller for focus points all the time.
I'm confident of the Pentax ergonomics. The K-m proved it once again that Pentax engineers pay attention to the details.

My guess is that the points will be controlled by the dial around the AF button. It will probably have a double function.

The 4-way controller will probably be very similar to the K-m with direct access instead of having to press fn.
05-06-2009, 07:28 AM   #1886
Forum Member

Maybe the best way to select focus points is button + e-dial . looks like it's fastest ..
05-06-2009, 07:34 AM   #1887
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kolouch Quote
Maybe the best way to select focus points is button + e-dial . looks like it's fastest ..
But it's also the Canon way...
05-06-2009, 07:38 AM   #1888
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
But it's also the Canon way...
Nothing wrong in itself with being "the Canon way". However, this method is very unintuitive, and even Canon has added a 2nd "joystick" to control the AF points on the EOS 40D...
05-06-2009, 07:46 AM   #1889
Veteran Member

Nothing wrong in itself with being "the Canon way". However, this method is very unintuitive, and even Canon has added a 2nd "joystick" to control the AF points on the EOS 40D...
Actually there are three ways of choosing AF points with Canon (at least in the XXD and XD ones):

1/ Button press + scroll front wheel to circle through AF points;

2/ Use the small joystick for direct selection

3/ Use the backwheel to circle through AF points

The joystick is nice but it has one drawback: when using the vertical grip, you just cannot reach it (rings a bell K10/K20 AF button users? )

In what I understood about the K-7 layout, the small selector around the AF button will be used to select the AF point mode selection (center, auto or user) and in user selectable mode, one will need to first press the OK button before selecting an AF point with the control pad.

The drawback is that you need one additional button press before selecting the AF point but the upside of this method is that it will be more difficult to change AF point inadvertently.

One thing that I hope is fixed on the K-7 is the duplication of the AF button on the grip, otherwise, the new layout (including the ISO button, usefully placed for M and P modes and the new green button location) looks really neat.
05-06-2009, 07:46 AM   #1890
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kolouch Quote
Of course not. The best and fastest way is eyeball tracking ...