Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2009, 08:03 AM   #2281
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sveinmb Quote
It's made of WOOD guys!

It's all clear now! Not new material, but big surprise.. Norway + The Beatles ? - Norwegian Wood!

I thought I'd used up all the Beatles puns earlier, but apparently not.

05-11-2009, 08:04 AM   #2282
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Maybe you haven't noticed the fact that many people reported AF improvements after installing the last K20D firmware?
I've heard of them, but haven't experienced them myself. If they were truly significant improvements, I feel Pentax might've been inclined to mention that in their firmware notes. Are they really the same "vast" improvements we're told to expect with the K-7?
05-11-2009, 08:09 AM   #2283
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sveinmb Quote
OMG!

It's made of WOOD guys!

It's all clear now! Not new material, but big surprise.. Norway + The Beatles ? - Norwegian Wood!

Now we can all look forward to a press conference from a typical wooden cabin in Norway where every damn thing, the walls, ceiling, tables, chairs etc are made of pinewood - and now even the new K-7 !

Another possibility would of course be a press conference in a particular park in Oslo. Japanese tourists are somehow very exited to be able to take photos of naked people made of stone.. Just the same way Norwegians love to take pictures of Japanese vending machines that sell used ladies underwear...
or they just pop the K-whatever around the Norwegian forest under heavy rains and have the press to find them like kids finding Easter Eggs , superior WR will be proved thru smooth actions of the camera
05-11-2009, 08:26 AM   #2284
Veteran Member

The AF in the K-7 is really improved, and yes it offers better performance than the K-m. Do note that the K-m has quite a weak motor and can't drive heavy lenses to the same speed as a camera with bigger motor can, plus the new K-7 has more processing power.
Also note that the K-m uses the same, technically, AF system as the *ist DL2, and yet it is better performing. Don't judge AF system by name only, many made the misstake with the K-m and when they actually tried the camera they found out that it had better AF, especially in low light, than the previous Pentax DSLR's.

To Cynthia - in an other forum you accused me of having "pink glasses", but when the swedish magazine FOTO tesed the K20d autofocus performance in a controlled studio environment - same test as all other cameras are tested in - they couldn't find the errors in K20D AF, in fact it was perfectly on pair with the similar priced competition from Nikon and Canon. Yes, this is correct. Pentax was not, I repeat, not, the slowest nor the worst.
But since you accuse me of having "pink glasses" then of course this objective test must have "pink glasses" too.

Just because you have problems with the AF in your camera, doesn't mean that other Pentax users has the same problem. I believe your K20D is defective.

And the same answer I give to Mr RiceHigh. I haven't been able to verify your complaints about the perormance in *ist DS and K10D. I don't feel that I need to apologise for my Pentax cameras not showing the same performance problems and yours has been showing. You has got faulty samples and has a bad relation with your local Pentax service center. It is misfortunate of course, but you fail to see that you have got bad samples and not every other Pentax DSLR are showing the same errors as you have found with your typical samples. I have tried really hard, but I haven't been able to duplicate your autofocus problems and underexposure problems.

So, my cameras are working! What are you going to do about that, shoot me?
It is not about having "pink glasses", I simply wouldn't be telling the truth if I said that my cameras were having front focus or back focus problems and problems with underexposure. I can't write what isn't truth just because it would make you feel better.

We have had many postings in this and other forums that shows that most Pentax users has got good cameras with working and reliable autofocus and metering.

Unfortunately, some samples has got errors. But accusing those with working Pentax DSLR's for having "pink glasses", that is so low. We with working cameras shouldn't apologise for not having got a poor sample!

I do ask where the world has turned when one gets flamed and bashed beacuse the camera is working as expected.

Should I try my best to break my camera, try to destroy it so it is mailfunctioning, just to make you feel better so you could say "He's got a faulty camera too!".

I'm sorry and you have my deepest apologies, but I'm not going to do it. No.
I'm sorry that my cameras are working and I'm sorry to have bought a working Pentax. It wasn't my fault. I got them from Pentax. Shoot them, not me.
They gave me working cameras. They are to blame, not me.

05-11-2009, 08:32 AM   #2285
Veteran Member

i thought the general consensus was that the K-m's improved AF ability was partly due to the reduction of AF points, leaving it much less to process/react to than the K20D.
05-11-2009, 08:33 AM   #2286

"She showed me her room...Isn't it good Norwegian Wood?"
05-11-2009, 08:58 AM   #2287
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
i thought the general consensus was that the K-m's improved AF ability was partly due to the reduction of AF points, leaving it much less to process/react to than the K20D.
Surely not, the K20D has the same SAFOX as istDL2, so this conclusion is completely baseless.

05-11-2009, 09:08 AM   #2288
Veteran Member

Has anyone else noticed that the Canon 50D is currently selling for only $1600 in the USA with Canon 18-200mm stabilized lens included? While not exactly my cup of tea, the 50D is clearly going to be a competitor to the K7 in the advanced amateur/semi-pro/pro market (albeit it one that weighs much more). On top of that the D300 currently sells for $1400. In light of that, is there any way Pentax can ask $1500+ for the K7 like the rumors suggest?
05-11-2009, 09:12 AM   #2289

Those two don't have video recording. IMO, K-7's biggest competitor will be the D90.

QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
Has anyone else noticed that the Canon 50D is currently selling for only $1600 in the USA with Canon 18-200mm stabilized lens included? While not exactly my cup of tea, the 50D is clearly going to be a competitor to the K7 in the advanced amateur/semi-pro/pro market (albeit it one that weighs much more). On top of that the D300 currently sells for $1400. In light of that, is there any way Pentax can ask $1500+ for the K7 like the rumors suggest?
05-11-2009, 09:20 AM   #2290
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
D90 has weak video modes, no WR and SR and it's camera a bit lower class than K-7.
But, in some aspects close.
05-11-2009, 09:27 AM   #2291
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Surely not, the K20D has the same SAFOX as istDL2, so this conclusion is completely baseless.
sorry? how many AF points did the istDL2 have?
05-11-2009, 09:34 AM   #2292
Pentaxian

3 AFAIK. SAFOX has been the same since ist-D.

But there aez stil quite differences in speed from cameras so basing the whole AF speed on the number of AF sensor points doesn't make it.
05-11-2009, 09:35 AM   #2293
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Priyantha Bleeker Quote
Well I think it won't be 1080p, but it will be 1080i

1080p and 1080i are two different 'format's.
The 1080i is the standard video signal for HD televisions, the 'i' stands for interlaced.
The 1080p is the highest quality for HD televisions, the 'p' stands for 'progressive scan'.

So 1080i is the 'lighter' variant so it should be easier to implement ?
Is not the "1080" resolution the same number, no matter the way it's played back?

I'd rather have a solid 720p cause honestly...out of all the people bitchin here, how many of you reallllllllly have displays that can do 1080 or have clients that would want a vid in 1080?

My TV "only" goes up to 720p but I get some broadcasts in 1080i
QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
So, as I have been saying since the K10D, Pentax should make smaller and lighter bodies, so that they could compete. And, it's the good old tradition and market differentiator to make small SLRs.
Well they have something called the K2000.

The K10/20 were/are aimed at the upper level of photography such as advanced amateurs, hobbyists, and professionals. Now...who spends more money down the line...those 3 or beginners? The people starting out are fine with a kit lens or two...if they become more "into it" then they move up a level and start spending money.

I won't buy a camera without a grip, and I definitely won't buy a small camera without a grip to make it bigger. The K2000 is their small offering, they can make the K-7 bigger because, well...that's the size of its competitors although the K-7 might be a little smaller.
QuoteOriginally posted by cousinsane Quote
Those two don't have video recording. IMO, K-7's biggest competitor will be the D90.
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
D90 has weak video modes, no WR and SR and it's camera a bit lower class than K-7.
But, in some aspects close.
Yep, no doubt people will be comparing the K-7 to the D90 whether or not the K-7 is Pentax's flagship.
05-11-2009, 09:35 AM   #2294
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
five AF points
05-11-2009, 09:38 AM   #2295
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
five AF points
Take the ist-dL then, 3 AF points. Doesn't change anything to the argument. So what now ?