Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2009, 12:29 AM   #2626
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Erik Quote
... but what's so strange is people go with Pentax and then act surprised when Pentax releases compact bodies. It's what Pentax does.
Strikes me as odd too. The compact size is what's actually drawing me to Pentax. If Pentax didn't make small cameras and lenses I wouldn't care about Pentax at all, honestly.

Want FF? Take a look at Canon, Nikon, Sony. Want bigger cameras? Again, other manufacturers offer that.

Or you could attach a grip to a Pentax and it'd be plenty big. Those of us who want small are really excited about the K-7, and those who want big shouldn't feel left out because they can attach a grip.

05-14-2009, 12:32 AM   #2627
Veteran Member

I have yet to see any rumors or speculation about what this new feature could be! (Yeah yeah, I know, wait a couple of days....)
05-14-2009, 12:52 AM   #2628
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are NO deep explanation of ALL NEW FEATURES of K-7 In press-text and in specs.
Need to wait official PDF brochure and manual.
05-14-2009, 01:44 AM   #2629
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
There are NO deep explanation of ALL NEW FEATURES of K-7 In press-text and in specs.
*If* reviewers like dpreview get a copy for preview, I guess we'll find it in there as well? And if one of the 10 Pentaxians selected by Pentax Germany posts here, we'll know soon enough too. Esp since they are explicitely looking for bloggers / forum posters.

Not that it will make a difference for me. I'm just waiting for the official announcement to place my pre-order.

Wim

05-14-2009, 01:46 AM   #2630

Perhaps not, but you'd expect that the new _fantastic revolutionary_ features would be printed in bold?

I think it's amazing to se how this viral marketing has turned a lot of bashes into fanboys that now praise this yet-to-be-presented camera and tells even those who fear that it has to small grip for their hands to switch over to a fullframe canikon? What is WRONG with you people?

I totally understand the size concern. I've got a Ds, K100, K10 and a K20 with grip. The K10 and K20 with grip is a lot more comfortable to hold with a big lens like the DA* series then a K100, or even my friends K-m. A also quite like the MZ-5 with the battery grip attached, but that camera also weighs next to nothing compared to a DSLR. My guess is though, that the K-7 will have a better grip in real life than what we are able to guess from looking a the leaked pictures.

If you're playing the devils advocate here the specs of the K-7 tells us that it's almost a complete copy of a nearly 2 year old D300, in a smaller weathersealed body and added 720p video. The rumored price indicates that it will cost well over the D300s street price at launch. I can see why people are asking for the promised revolution and asking questions about statements like "others will have to catch up".

What a lot of people has foreseen is happening here right now - expectations have become way too high based upon all this hype of the new body. Give it a few months and we're all back to business as usual with a lot of K7 users praising their new toy, and a minority that complain about how much better the D400 and 60D is, and how Pentax need a FF camera..
05-14-2009, 01:56 AM   #2631

QuoteOriginally posted by sveinmb Quote
If you're playing the devils advocate here the specs of the K-7 tells us that it's almost a complete copy of a nearly 2 year old D300, in a smaller weathersealed body and added 720p video.
Do you really expect the K-7 to offer 8 fps, 50 AF points and a 100% viewfinder? I think only the latter has any chance of happening, and even that is doubtful.

Prog.
05-14-2009, 02:02 AM   #2632
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sveinmb Quote

I totally understand the size concern. I've got a Ds, K100, K10 and a K20 with grip. The K10 and K20 with grip is a lot more comfortable to hold with a big lens like the DA* series then a K100, or even my friends K-m.
So maybe you could tell me .. how much faster IS the K-m autofocus over the K10D and K20D?

05-14-2009, 02:12 AM   #2633

QuoteOriginally posted by Prognathous Quote
Do you really expect the K-7 to offer 8 fps, 50 AF points and a 100% viewfinder? I think only the latter has any chance of happening, and even that is doubtful.

Prog.
A 100% viewfinder has been among the rumors for quite a while. Some say 1.0x 95%, others say 0.95x 100%.

As far as I know the D300 only has 6fps without it's grip ? Some also claim the K-7 will be able to shoot 8fps in a crop mode..

No, I don't think it will have 50 AF points, I don't think it will have 1005 metering segments either. But I think both AF and metering depends a lot more on algorithms and processing than just pure number of points.

If you look at the rest of the numbers, 12 vs 14mpix, iso 100-6400, 3" screen, 1mpix screen resolution, hdmi, 14bit adc... it's rather similar. That said I don't think they'll be in any way similar to use or give similar results.
05-14-2009, 02:28 AM   #2634

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
So maybe you could tell me .. how much faster IS the K-m autofocus over the K10D and K20D?
Sorry, I've just held Piratstian's camera for a few minutes He's got both the K10 and the K-m though, so perhaps he can help with that.

I can however tell you that the AF seems faster in chronological order of the different cameras I own K20 faster than K10 faster than K100 faster than Ds. The biggest difference is however connected to how strong/fast the motor is when used on a slow moving lens like a Tamron SP90. When using a DA limited there is a smaller difference, but it's definitely faster on the newer cameras. I'm also one of those that think my K20 became more determent and locks into focus faster after the latest firmware upgrade.

I have thought of doing a test using a modified remote cable and measure the average time it takes from half pressing the shutter until the focus confirm beep is heard, but it's really a boring job to do.
05-14-2009, 02:38 AM   #2635
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
About the built-in grip, I think a number of people forget something.
Yes the K-7 is less large than K20 but it is taller, so there should be more space for the hand.

Using my K10, my smaller finger always floats in the air if the grip isn't attached. I expect the K-7 to be better in this respect, even withoiut the additional battery grip.
05-14-2009, 02:47 AM   #2636
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
About the built-in grip, I think a number of people forget something.
Yes the K-7 is less large than K20 but it is taller, so there should be more space for the hand.
Are you sure? From the latest pictures I conclude that it's smaller in both directions, both height and width.

I like it though. The K10D/K20D was indeed a bit small without grip, but with the grip it was a tad too big for my liking. However, I never really noticed my *istDS was "too" small... And the *istDS is tiny compared to the K10D/K20D! Perhaps my hands are just accustomed to a camera with battery grip now, and it's not just size related, but more ergonomy related?

Wim
05-14-2009, 03:25 AM   #2637
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
Are you sure? From the latest pictures I conclude that it's smaller in both directions, both height and width.

I like it though. The K10D/K20D was indeed a bit small without grip, but with the grip it was a tad too big for my liking. However, I never really noticed my *istDS was "too" small... And the *istDS is tiny compared to the K10D/K20D! Perhaps my hands are just accustomed to a camera with battery grip now, and it's not just size related, but more ergonomy related?

Wim
At the very least more height than K200D. I'm sure.
05-14-2009, 03:53 AM   #2638
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

QuoteOriginally posted by bpjod Quote
For those who use their left eye to look through the viewfinder, let me assure you that you can learn to shoot with your right eye. I'm left eye dominant and used the left eye with the viewfinder for years. Then I got a Hexar AF and it was such a great advantage to use the right eye that I retrained myself to use the right eye at the viewfinder. I rarely use the Hexar anymore but that habit has pretty much stuck with me.

Of course I must qualify that this behaviour can be learned if you are merely left eye dominant. If you're amblyopic, have reduced sight in your right eye due to disease or trauma or you have a prosthetic right eye, well then I hope you can find a place to put your nose because you're going to have to stick with using your left eye.
QuoteOriginally posted by lol101 Quote
Ogl is right here, ergonomic details and general feeling can only be known when one has tried the camera in person.

I fear it will be too small for me and awkward to use because I am left eyed but until I have tried it, there is nothing certain.

And even after that, ergonomics is something really particular to one person: you like it or you don't.
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
At the very least more height than K200D. I'm sure.
I'm in the same situation. If it really is this small then I won't be buying one. I'm basically blind in the right eye (just enough for depth perception) and have to shoot left eye. The K10D/20D are about as small as I would want. I'd even like the eye cup to extend back 5mm more if that was possible. As it is, Some of the controls are not easy to hit with my nose in the way (like the AF button).

I was very excited about a new body and if these PP comparisons are accurate, I can only hope the next generation is larger. The idea of changing brands because any new camera is compact is very concerning.
05-14-2009, 04:27 AM   #2639
ogl
Banned

Anybody remember the times when Pentax had only small DSLR.
*ist D, DS, DL???? For several years.
Nobody asked BIGGER cameras.
05-14-2009, 04:30 AM   #2640
Pentaxian

Anybody remember the times when Pentax had only small DSLR.
*ist D, DS, DL???? Nobody asked BIGGER cameras.
The *ist D was even the smallest DSLR at that time!