Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums

ist D + FA*300/2.8

Welcome

05-14-2009, 04:43 AM   #2642
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Erik Quote
I'm absolutely amazed at all the whining about the camera not being big enough. What? If a compact, lightweight camera is that horrible, there will be a battery grip. If that's not enough, glue a brick or two to the battery grip, and if that's not enough, buy a D3 or something as Pentax is obviously just not your "thing". In the 70's, pro photographers used 35mm bodies that were all smaller than any current DSLR, and yet here we are in 2009 and cannot accept that our amorphous black plastic blob is smaller than other amorphous black plastic blobs. Again, what?

Some of us choose Pentax because the cameras are small, and will not be really happy until a DSLR is at least as small as the MX. The smaller the better, with no reservations whatsoever.
Well in that case, go back to film. The only thing that will make you really happy has been available for years, what more do you need? I mean after all, your own advice should be good enough for you to follow as well, right? It's funny how people who have no idea what it's like to try to shoot with something toy sized can tell me what I need to do. If you did, you'd know it's about a whole lot more than taking the time to "add a grip".
05-14-2009, 04:46 AM   #2643
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
I was very excited about a new body and if these PP comparisons are accurate, I can only hope the next generation is larger. The idea of changing brands because any new camera is compact is very concerning.
I think ogl is right. Size is more like K200D. There have been exact measures posted by RH earlier in this thread and to the best of my knowledge, these are exact +/- 2mm.

I had trouble to position the K-7 when first rumors began to spread. But with all what is known now, I think I have a clearer picture:

It starts to feel exactly as the positioning of the Pentax MX 30 years ago.

Offering all professional grade features with carefully thought out detail in a package which was truely portable. And not too expensive. The MX made me a Pentaxian

The K-7 seems to be the same. Of course, 30 years later, weather-sealing and shake reduction (to enable smaller glass) had to be added (accomplished). The K-7 may be considered THE outdoor SLR today (just like MX was then) -- if they improved AF enough to make it capture action well (because outdoor and action aften go together).

If this holds true after May 20, K-7 will create many new Pentaxians
05-14-2009, 04:47 AM   #2644

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Anybody remember the times when Pentax had only small DSLR.
*ist D, DS, DL???? For several years.
Nobody asked BIGGER cameras.
Until they got the K10 and almost everyone praised it for it's ergonomics and good grip?

Whenever someone ask what DSLR they should buy, I usually respond that they should try out different models in the store and find the one that they feel the most comfortable for their hands. It's perhaps the most important factor that make a difference between competing models. Specs are usually pretty similar anyway and they all make great pictures. I would never swap the ergonomics of my K20 with my DS or the K-m.

My hope is that the new model is a best-of-both-worlds solution that is very comfortable with the grip on and small enough to put in you (oversized) pocket with a pancake lens whenever needed. And hopefully the grip won't cost too much (not too sure about that tough).

EDIT: But then you'll have to take into account that I'm looking for reasons not to spend a months payment on a new body yet again, and just enjoy what I have.

Last edited by sveinmb; 05-14-2009 at 04:54 AM.
05-14-2009, 04:50 AM   #2645
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I still remember the complaints when Pentax left the small form factor with the K10D. Quite a few friends who loved their *istD or *istDS actually left Pentax in the mean time because they felt there was never a real successor to these cameras. Perhaps the K-7 will bring them back? I just hope they won't reclaim the glass I bought off them cheap...

Wim
05-14-2009, 04:53 AM   #2646
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
Well in that case, go back to film. The only thing that will make you really happy has been available for years, what more do you need? I mean after all, your own advice should be good enough for you to follow as well, right? It's funny how people who have no idea what it's like to try to shoot with something toy sized can tell me what I need to do. If you did, you'd know it's about a whole lot more than taking the time to "add a grip".
But then you whine without even trying the camera in your hands...
Is that any smarter ?
05-14-2009, 04:54 AM   #2647
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sveinmb Quote
Until they got the K10 and almost everyone praised it for it's ergonomics and good grip?
Ah, the memory of some isn't so bad after all.

05-14-2009, 04:54 AM   #2648
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
I still remember the complaints when Pentax left the small form factor with the K10D. Quite a few friends who loved their *istD or *istDS actually left Pentax in the mean time because they felt there was never a real successor to these cameras. Perhaps the K-7 will bring them back? I just hope they won't reclaim the glass I bought off them cheap...

Wim
Gimme, gimme !
05-14-2009, 04:59 AM   #2649
Veteran Member

Why would I need to? It's already been said it's close in size to the K200D, a body size that I found totally unusable.
05-14-2009, 05:10 AM   #2650
Veteran Member

Well in that case, go back to film. The only thing that will make you really happy has been available for years, what more do you need? I mean after all, your own advice should be good enough for you to follow as well, right?
I want to shoot digital, though? That's one of the reasons why I bought a Pentax camera -- because Pentax is a manufacturer of relatively small digital SLR cameras. I only praised the form factor of the MX, and again, no one with big hands seemed to think cameras should be double size back in the 70's so I'm wondering what changed. My "advice" is just to stop being surprised that a manufacturer of small cameras manufactures another small camera.
05-14-2009, 05:38 AM   #2651

Why would I need to? It's already been said it's close in size to the K200D, a body size that I found totally unusable.
I don't understand why you keep posting this. So small is bad for you. What is there to complain about? There are plenty of larger cameras in the world. Use those instead.
05-14-2009, 05:46 AM   #2652
Veteran Member

Then shoot Olympus. Or any one of the smaller bodies they already have. Sounds ridiculous doesn't it? Yet you were so quick to tell others to look elsewhere, but thad advice doesn't seem to be good enough for yourself. And what changed? Maybe someone made a bigger camera and people said, "hey that's kinda nice"? The fact that there's more than two dials, a shutter button, and lever on modern cameras? So I shouldn't be surprised that the camera company I chose for it's size, and the size that has been raved about, is going smaller?
05-14-2009, 05:49 AM   #2653
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mabelsound Quote
I don't understand why you keep posting this. So small is bad for you. What is there to complain about? There are plenty of larger cameras in the world. Use those instead.
Small is is one thing, smaller is worse. Pentax was already small, and now they're getting smaller. Can't help it you all need a girly sized camera.
05-14-2009, 05:50 AM   #2654
Veteran Member

Then shoot Olympus. Or any one of the smaller bodies they already have.
Why should they, there is a nice small well featured Pentax coming by all accounts
05-14-2009, 05:54 AM   #2655
Pentaxian

So… is the body material still unknown?