Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2009, 06:41 AM   #2671
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
on revolution

QuoteOriginally posted by sveinmb Quote
Perhaps not, but you'd expect that the new _fantastic revolutionary_ features would be printed in bold?
Not from Pentax. They do a terrible job of telling the world about the fine features of their cameras. Even in their manuals, never mind in their advertising.

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
So what would constitute a "revolutionary" model in your mind?
One with a radically redesigned interface based around removing modal controls and placing photographic priorities at your fingertips, along with full camera support for same. I wish Pentax would make such a true alternative... it would revolutionize the market.

In the meantime I look forward to seeing what the K-7 offers.

05-14-2009, 07:25 AM   #2672
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mark D Quote
+1

I'm also 6'5" and LOVE the size of the MX( entire M range of film bodies!)
+2

I've been shooting film again for the last couple of months, and it's amazing to me that people want bigger bodies. Was using cameras that impossible pre-digital? Because the K10, which isn't massive, feels like a boat anchor compared to my ME or ZX-5. I mean different strokes for different folks, but the big camera people have been getting their way for a while now, and have tons of options. And as has been mentioned, you can always add weight and bulk if that's your deal, but you can't remove it. The KM was a good start at correcting that imbalance; they need to bring it to fruition with the K-7.
05-14-2009, 07:27 AM   #2673
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
Can't help it you all need a girly sized camera.
And we can't help that you need as big of a honkin' camera as possible so that everyone sees what an amazing photographer you are...
05-14-2009, 07:28 AM   #2674
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
One with a radically redesigned interface based around removing modal controls and placing photographic priorities at your fingertips, along with full camera support for same. I wish Pentax would make such a true alternative... it would revolutionize the market.
It sounds great, I mean it, really great. But I have no idea what you're talking about
Can you give an example?

05-14-2009, 07:34 AM   #2675
Veteran Member

i prefer smaller too, but i think you are missing a small detail when comparing to the mx: how many buttons did the mx have? . the k10d is excellent in size, i also liked the k100d, ergonomics were not compromised, though the grip was slightly small. the problem is it is important to balance the size with the weight and the "density" of buttons and controls. it seems, if those pictures are true, the k-7 is quite clean on the rear, it remains to be seen how they managed to do that without making it horribly p&s like to use (i am sure they did manage somehow, maybe the af is not great, but as far as ergonomics for photographers go, i think pentax is still leading the way )
05-14-2009, 07:35 AM   #2676
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
So I shouldn't be surprised that the camera company I chose for it's size, and the size that has been raved about, is going smaller?
Well, Pentax (as well as Olympus) were really never known for big cameras, so it's really no surprise that they're going smaller. I'm pretty sure they did marketing research and they came up with the choice to go small also in the digital era. Ultimately, it's still up to the consumer to buy the new offerings or not, but Pentax probably is okay with the gamble to lose a couple of shooters who want big cameras and hope more people who want smaller cameras show up at their doorstep.

There's no single product that will ever satisfy everyone (regardless of company or industry).

The great thing is that there's always a choice.

Last edited by vinzer; 05-14-2009 at 07:54 AM.
05-14-2009, 07:44 AM   #2677
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
I doubt any leaks have come from Pentax; they have come from those under NDA breaking their agreement. Teaser ads are standard and cannot be considered viral advertising. All the hype has been built by us, the Pentax fan base. Blaming Pentax for this, as some have, is silly. If you don't like it, why follow a rumours thread?
I wouldn't quite call the president of Pentax publishing a thinly disguised picture of the new model early on and actively discussing it with Beatle references as ""standard".

They are very much participating in the hype train, and I really want the K-7 to be worth it all

05-14-2009, 07:44 AM   #2678
Pentaxian

I have mixed feelings about the size. A small and light camera is great when hiking, but I do like being able to use my k10 in the autumn-winter with (thin) gloves on.
05-14-2009, 07:44 AM   #2679

QuoteOriginally posted by dave sz Quote
And we can't help that you need as big of a honkin' camera as possible so that everyone sees what an amazing photographer you are...
Besides, everyone knows it isn't the weight of your body that proves how manly you are, it's the length of your glass and the size of your aperture.
05-14-2009, 07:51 AM   #2680
Veteran Member

What would be realy realy cool would be if you could remove the back lcd, connected to the camera with bluetooth, its own battery, so you can put your camera anywhere and shoot. The lcd also have a focus button and a trigger button.
Eat that tilted lcds

im dreaming, i know. But can you realy blame me
05-14-2009, 07:58 AM   #2681
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by melander Quote
What would be realy realy cool would be if you could remove the back lcd, connected to the camera with bluetooth, its own battery, so you can put your camera anywhere and shoot. The lcd also have a focus button and a trigger button.
Eat that tilted lcds

im dreaming, i know. But can you realy blame me
Ever heard of ZigView?

Wim
05-14-2009, 08:03 AM   #2682
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I look at the scheme of new VF of K-7 and understand NOTHING.

Body is even a bit better than simple magnesium alloy of competitors.

Last edited by ogl; 05-14-2009 at 08:19 AM.
05-14-2009, 08:08 AM   #2683
Veteran Member

people. Just shut up.

All the people yapping. "I think small is too small"
You have not even felt the camera yet and you are complaining.
Someone made a very good post.
How big was your old film SLR.
You do not hear Lieca users saying. My million camera that I sleep with at night and can not bear to be apart from is too small.
I remember cameras being smaller than the Kx0D
How big is the Ist D. The first time I felt that camera I was like. WOW. That is comfy. Then I felt the similar sized DS. I said EWE thats crappy.
My hand did not change shape between cameras. But there was something much more refined about the D than the DS.
Touch it, pick it up and then tell me.
Cameras are getting too big.
You should be asking. How on earth Pentax crammed a D300 into a body smaller than the K200D.
Point is, camera size is not really that relevant. My old MZ-50 was a nice camera to hold. Very small. And I really like to hold my aunties lieca replica.
Anyway. Just wait for it to be in your hand to judge it. Otherwise your opinion is like a fart in the elevator. It stinks.
05-14-2009, 08:09 AM   #2684
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Body is even better than simple magnesium alloy of competitors.
Ok..titanium?
05-14-2009, 08:13 AM   #2685
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I look at the scheme of new VF of K-7 and understand NOTHING.
speak ogl.

That a VF has a "scheme" at all means something. For the K-7, possibly everything.