Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2009, 10:12 AM   #2716
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
Who's going to be the first to make a CF body? If the price of CF didn't skyrocket in the past couple years, we'd probably have one on the market already...
Well I wouldn't buy it, CF is about as ugly as it gets.

05-14-2009, 10:13 AM   #2717
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
material / immaterial

QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
I wouldn't quite call the president of Pentax publishing a thinly disguised picture of the new model early on and actively discussing it with Beatle references as ""standard".l
Well, he said nothing about features, and has always posted about products before they are released. Sometimes he's said a lot more than he is now about the K-7.

In any case, one blog does not a viral campaign make.

QuoteOriginally posted by jmbradd Quote
basalt outer shell? will the buttons be granite intrusions?

maybe they'll come out with a rhyolite special edition
Ceramic. It's going to be made of that stuff that coats the underside of the space shuttle.
05-14-2009, 10:24 AM   #2718
Veteran Member

Does it come in pink? I'm waiting for the Hello Kitty edition.

Reminds me of a young woman who stopped into Best Buy when I was there. She needed to replace a broken P&S. When asked what she was looking for in her new camera, her reply was short and simple. Small and pink. She seemed very pleased with her ability to handle that tough question.

But we're (some of us) manly men who don't wear tights (movie reference). So they look with disdain at small. And shudder at pink.
05-14-2009, 10:29 AM   #2719
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No. Because no pink lenses.

05-14-2009, 10:32 AM   #2720

Metal inside, metal out. It's going to be smaller but still balanced in weight with a DA* lens.

I do not have the money for this right now.

I do not have the m...hmmm anyone need a spare kidney? Lightly used?
05-14-2009, 10:38 AM   #2721
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
Well I wouldn't buy it, CF is about as ugly as it gets.
It's in style now, especially in the car world. If a CF-covered cam debuts, I bet lots of sales would go to "hip" automotive photogs as attention getters and conversation starters.

I personally like the weave
05-14-2009, 10:44 AM   #2722
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Well, he said nothing about features, and has always posted about products before they are released. Sometimes he's said a lot more than he is now about the K-7.

In any case, one blog does not a viral campaign make.
this isn't ricehigh, it's not just one blog, it's the blog of the president of Pentax. it's like saying the White House is just a house.

he's published a full photo, and referenced a classic Pentax camera in famous hands for the purpose of inviting (and sensationalizing) discussion. the point is, Pentax, quite officially, wants us discussing the K-7 this early, ie. prodding and adding to all the hype.

i'm not judging badly, i think its unique and refreshing for Pentax to have this relationship with it's customers, again, i'm just hoping the K-7 will be worth all this officially sanctioned hype.

05-14-2009, 10:46 AM   #2723
Veteran Member

Apple just took out a patent for CF that doesn't look like CF, but instead ordinary plastic/metal. So it is possible.
05-14-2009, 10:51 AM   #2724
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
It sounds great, I mean it, really great. But I have no idea what you're talking about
Can you give an example?
Modes are a poor way to specify photographic parameters. I would like to go back to a system more common to certain film bodies, where the three primary photographic parameters -- aperture, shutter speed and ISO -- have dedicated control dials. Of course in film days aperture was on the lens, but there is no reason not to have it on the body instead. Each dial would require an "A" setting to put it into automatic.

A modeless design combines complete flexibility with the ability to memorise all functions and use the camera as an extension of one's body. There is no need to think of what mode you are in before knowing what controls perform which function. A glance at the camera shows all important settings. This is very much an application of basic industrial design principles. (Read Donald Norman on this.)

As an example look at the Canon G10, which fits three dials in a much smaller form factor. But this layout could be improved significantly for an SLR. The left dial (ISO) would go where the mode dial is currently. The other two would be where the shutter speed dial used to be, and where the top LCD is now. The dials can overlap a detente on the body edge so they can be twirled easily, much like the current front and rear dials.

There would be no need (and no room) for a top LCD -- good riddance! This panel is a kludge that comes about largely because we are constrained by modes and hence cannot tell what our camera is doing and how it is set. The very fact of an LCD shows the design is poor. Instead, important data needs to be in the viewfinder so we can operate the camera without taking it from our eye.

All other buttons can then be larger and variously shaped to improve their affordance. How the menu navigation is set up and which features are available for quick access is another area ripe for improvement. I believe that once the primary controls are fixed there is some latitude for providing customisable soft buttons, so each photographer can choose the functions they need quick access to. Sometimes I want multiple exposure to be more handy. Others might prefer WB or SR. I don't think it makes any sense littering the camera with buttons to cover all possibilities.
05-14-2009, 10:51 AM   #2725
Inactive Account

Anyone with more info about IQ?

Anyone with more info about IQ and that lovely Canon 1D Mk3 photo of the John Loo doves and white dress? If so, spill the beans....

Everyone keeps talking about chassis, frames, skin, dimensions, weight, etc...

What about IQ? Dynamic range? Sharpness? Depth of image? microlenses? microcontrast?

If Pentax wants the K-7 to bring to mind its full frame competitors by its image quality, what have they done to design it to create photos with great IMPACT?
05-14-2009, 10:58 AM   #2726
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Inspector 17 Quote
Anyone with more info about IQ and that lovely Canon 1D Mk3 photo of the John Loo doves and white dress? If so, spill the beans....

Everyone keeps talking about chassis, frames, skin, dimensions, weight, etc...

What about IQ? Dynamic range? Sharpness? Depth of image? microlenses? microcontrast?

If Pentax wants the K-7 to bring to mind its full frame competitors by its image quality, what have they done to design it to create photos with great IMPACT?
Such things cannot be said from the leaked pictures and press releases. You have to FEEL and SEE the K-7 to determine the quality yourself!
05-14-2009, 11:11 AM   #2727
Veteran Member

Anyone else think that the back LCD on the german pictures looks realy realy photoshopped?

Like its dragged out to hide something?

Lack of links, found this link http://k-rumors.com/
05-14-2009, 11:12 AM   #2728
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by melander Quote
Anyone else think that the back LCD on the german pictures looks realy realy photoshopped?

Like its dragged out to hide something?

Lack of links, found this link Pentax rumors and Samsung rumors
The back LCD is correct, nothing shopped there (but it was deliberatly made unsharp in PP).
05-14-2009, 11:17 AM   #2729
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Such things cannot be said from the leaked pictures and press releases. You have to FEEL and SEE the K-7 to determine the quality yourself!
Some of the "Jopy" photos from China were suspected of illustrating some sort of new IQ feature..

IQ is almost everything!
05-14-2009, 11:19 AM   #2730
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
There's one specific quote in the K-7 press release that says something about this (although the term "front focusing" is not used).
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
new system of WB metering, light metering and AF.
Sounds promising. Thanks