Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2009, 03:21 AM   #2821
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Imagine rotating the sensor when mounted on a tripod. A tripod usually has coarse controls for getting it level; with rotating the sensor you can get the horizon 100% level.
Hmm, that would be interesting indeed. Oly has an electronic bubble level in one of their cams, would Pentax get this too then? In combination with the rotating sensor that could be really interesting for technical work. Guess the effect would be only visible in live view?

Wim

05-15-2009, 03:21 AM   #2822
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
For all those still bandying about ideas about carbon, aluminum, etc., it's been stated in a post or two and implied in several others that the shell is a magnesium-steel alloy. The question here is what kind of alloy it is and what properties it'll have. After hearing about metal-bodied cameras suddenly losing battery power in low temps, while plastic cameras typically have little difficulty, I'm kind of worried about that... I tend to shoot in the cold for much of the year.

What I'm REALLY interested in, now, is seeing a response from ogl to pighead's question back in post 2790...
05-15-2009, 03:40 AM   #2823

I'm not going to get into a slanging match over the big camera/small camera thing as it's a moot point now; but would people stop insisting that if you prefer a big camera all you have to do is slap a grip on it? Quite apart from the fact it adds a considerable expense to the body's base cost, when you get into your car and find your other half has been driving it so the seat is too close to the steering wheel, do you move the seat back to make more room, or do you duct tape a sandbag to the roof to 'add more bulk'?
Seriously, adding a grip does not improve the overall ergonomics of the camera for people who have trouble with small camera bodies. My personal standpoint is that the K20 is the perfect size for my large hands, I'm sorry to see the new design is smaller than that, but I accept that Pentax had their reasons. I'll try the K7 out in person before I make my own personal judgement on whether they've made the next camera I buy or not.

Can't wait for the official release, whether I decide to buy it or not! Shiny!
05-15-2009, 03:45 AM   #2824
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
Hmm, that would be interesting indeed. Oly has an electronic bubble level in one of their cams, would Pentax get this too then? In combination with the rotating sensor that could be really interesting for technical work. Guess the effect would be only visible in live view?

Wim
Automatically straight horizons when used on a tripod? Now that would be impressive.

Obviously you'd have to get it most of the way there because the sensor can only turn so much.

05-15-2009, 03:46 AM   #2825
Pentaxian

I believe we haven't seen a pic from the mode dial yet; this was just posted on the Russian Penta-club forum.

So if I see it right the lock button is for getting the camera in/out of the movie mode, and that's why the movie icon takes a much larger slice of the cake
05-15-2009, 03:54 AM   #2826
Veteran Member

So if I see it right the lock button is for getting the camera in/out of the movie mode, and that's why the movie icon takes a much larger slice of the cake
Great! So no extra button to press to change modes. It does sound logical to avoid accidental activation of video mode as this may require the camera to start a sequence of actions that may render it less responsive for a few seconds.

Shame for users you were happy that accidental mode changes would be a thing of the past though. Shame also that moving from P to USER would now require a much larger turn than on the K20D since one direction is blocked. But given the video mode Pentax probably made the best choice.

Wim
05-15-2009, 03:55 AM   #2827
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Vormulac Quote
I'm not going to get into a slanging match over the big camera/small camera thing as it's a moot point now; but would people stop insisting that if you prefer a big camera all you have to do is slap a grip on it? Quite apart from the fact it adds a considerable expense to the body's base cost, when you get into your car and find your other half has been driving it so the seat is too close to the steering wheel, do you move the seat back to make more room, or do you duct tape a sandbag to the roof to 'add more bulk'?
Seriously, adding a grip does not improve the overall ergonomics of the camera for people who have trouble with small camera bodies. My personal standpoint is that the K20 is the perfect size for my large hands, I'm sorry to see the new design is smaller than that, but I accept that Pentax had their reasons. I'll try the K7 out in person before I make my own personal judgement on whether they've made the next camera I buy or not.

For the few like me that can't shoot with the right eye (75% blindness in that eye), then adding a grip to make it larger isn't a solution. I have a *istD which appears to be about the same size. I can't use the AE-L button or EV comp button on that camera while my eye is on the VF. It's OK with that body since there are not many buttons on that back of that camera so it's workable.

From the pictures (if they are even real) we've seen this camera is not for people like me. If this is the future trend, I'll use my K10/20D's till they die and then take my Takumars over to a FF Canon. I sure hope that making them small is not the way Pentax is going.

05-15-2009, 03:58 AM   #2828
Veteran Member

I believe we haven't seen a pic from the mode dial yet; this was just posted on the Russian Penta-club forum.

I was close:
05-15-2009, 04:00 AM   #2829
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
I was close:
Very close. I even had to think of you when I saw that knob for the first time.
05-15-2009, 04:07 AM   #2830
Veteran Member

From Digitalfotonetz.de:

This is from a photographer who has been allowed to handle a real K-7:

- More agressive noise reduction available in JPG (less noise and less details)

- AF "best ever" from Pentax (no further comment possible yet).

- About as heavy as a K20D and "does not feel that small" in even a "large man's hands" used to a K20D.

- Improved weather resistance (better than K20D).

- The shell doesn't "feel" like metal on first contact.

- A postprocessed 720p video demo made by Pentax does exist. Its quality is said to be "breathtaking". The photographer was really impressed by what he saw.

- AF works in video!
@Asahiflex, you are quoting my post over there ...
I am preparing a slightly more detailed posting for later today.
05-15-2009, 04:08 AM   #2831
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vormulac Quote

When we added a grip to our K200, I found that it improved handling considerably for my hands. It always felt a little smallish in comparison to the K20.

Also.... I'm not sure if the car is illustration is the better choice of examples. Mainly because internal space and bulk seem somewhat contradictory to what's involved in camera handling.

Still... you make a good point about the cost of a grip though. They are expensive to say the least and adding cost is the last thing anyone would want to add add to their habit. Hopefully the K7 won't be to small... the K200 is about as small as I would want to go with a DSLR imo.
05-15-2009, 04:11 AM   #2832
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Yes, I'm keeping an eye on you because of your leaks in the last few days

I really look forward to the more detailed posting!
05-15-2009, 04:13 AM   #2833
raz

- A postprocessed 720p video demo made by Pentax does exist. Its quality is said to be "breathtaking". The photographer was really impressed by what he saw.

- AF works in video!
wow, falconeye is this true ?
05-15-2009, 04:18 AM   #2834
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I hope you start a new thread about it if you are allowed.
What kind of freedom have Pentax given you?
When are we going to see the video???
I presume that now weakest means weakest, weak means strong and strong means very strong in terms of Noise reduction.
05-15-2009, 04:28 AM   #2835
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by soccerjoe5 Quote
Do you press a button then choose on-screen (WB for example)? Or is it possible to hold the WB button and use a wheel/dial to scroll through the WB options (faster that way, like the way Nikon works)?
The leaked picture of the top LCD we've seen do not have a WB indication anywhere, so the screen will likely still need to be used (plus, Pentax's implementation shows a "preview" of the last image taken with the new WB).

Whether the e-dials can be used to select the WB on the screen is another question altogether. It would certainly be nice.